Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Los Angeles - Beverly Hills Hotel or Hotel Bel-Air?

Feb 15th, 2009, 08:42 AM
Original Poster

Choosing between these two properties. Don't know Los Angeles AT ALL - was there once for one day 20 years ago .

I will be in town for 3 nights only. I want a hotel that is most convenient to Getty Center and interesting "window shopping, restaurants, etc." My hunch is that The Beverly Hills Hotel is better situated than the Bel-Air. Can you walk to things from BH Hotel?

Any suggestions? Thanks-

"Alles Gut!"
Feb 15th, 2009, 10:14 AM

Both of these hotels are stunning properties..Dorchester Collection has some of the finest hotels I have ever been in..that said, if you want more convenience then the BH hotel but I love the Hotel Bel Air..close to the Getty.
Can't go wrong with either one..
If you are going during the Oscars, then definately the BH..make sure you have breakfast at the Polo lounge.
Feb 15th, 2009, 11:58 AM

It is about a mile from the Beverly Hills Hotel down to the shops at the BH Triangle. It's all residential houses in the immediate surroundings.
Feb 15th, 2009, 03:37 PM
Original Poster

ttt
Feb 16th, 2009, 03:48 PM

I haven't stayed in either, but have lived here for over 40 years. I'd choose the Beverly Hills Hotel...the pink one. You'll have to have a car anyway. It's not that far from the Getty. I go to the Getty a lot.

Plus, you can easily go to the happenings on Sunset Blvd. east of the hotel (Sunset Plaza area) or zip down to the Beverly Hills shopping area which is less than a 10-minute drive from the hotel. It's not so difficult to park in BH if you either park in the lot on Beverly Drive between Wilshire and Little Santa Monica Blvd or at the meters behind Little Santa Monica Blvd. And then just walk the area. Downtown Beverly Hills is very small. You can also zip over, by car, to the Century City Shopping Mall which will be about 10-15 minutes from downtown Beverly Hills. Happy Travels!
Feb 16th, 2009, 04:07 PM

Have only stayed at the BH Hotel, and it is wonderful, one of the top hotels I've ever stayed in...I'm sure the Bel Air is great, too, but you can't go wrong with the BH.
Feb 16th, 2009, 04:10 PM

I don't know how the rooms compare, but if one wants to be right in middle of Beverly Hills shops and restaurants, there's always the Beverly Wilshire.
Feb 18th, 2009, 02:56 PM

hi liesl,

are you implying you won't have a car? (not a great idea for staying in LA)

you can't walk anywhere from the Bel Air -- except a really really long walk into westwood village.

the walk into beverly hills shopping restaurants isn't too bad, i suppose.

but consider rkkwan's advice and stay at the beverly wilshire if you want to be really close to the action.

have fun!
Feb 18th, 2009, 02:59 PM

you can't walk anywhere from the Bel Air -- except a really really long walk into westwood village

Are there any sidewalks on this route (I think not)?
Feb 18th, 2009, 05:16 PM
Original Poster

Leaning toward Beverly Hills Hotel.

I thought I could hire a driver or rent a car by the day from the hotel. It doesn't really matter. Just trying to get a feel for how "pedestrian friendly" the Beverly Hills area is, and whether I will feel stranded at the Beverly Hills Hotel!

"Alles Gut!"
Feb 18th, 2009, 05:47 PM

Beverly Hills is not as "pedestrian unfriendly" as some people may suggest. The whole one-mile from the BH Hotel to the Triangle on Beverly Drive has sidewalk. It's just that it's a mile, and it's all residential area, so you won't find shops or cafes until you cross Santa Monica Blvd.

Also, there's a big intersection with Canon Dr and Lomitas Ave on the way, which you will need to take a big semi-circle to cross before continuing on Beverly Drive.

And I'm sure you can just take a taxi for the 3-minute drive.
Feb 20th, 2009, 07:11 AM

Feb 20th, 2009, 07:14 AM

Ignore the above mistake.

Just rent a car when you get to the airport. It's L.A. Get a car! L.A. County is 500 square miles big, the biggest county in the U.S. I don't understand why visitors try to get around just renting a car here. Our city/county is spread out. Happy Travels!
Feb 20th, 2009, 08:18 AM

They're going to Beverly Hills and perhaps the furthest they need to go is the Getty. Why do they need a car? Who cares if L.A. is huge or not?

If I can afford one of the above hotels, I'd use a car service to drive me around, or use taxis. Why drive when one doesn't need to?
Feb 20th, 2009, 11:31 AM
Original Poster

I don't want to rent a car at the airport. I did not ask whether I should rent a car at the airport or not. In three days, there is no way that I will be able to see just how huge Los Angeles is.

These hotels offer courtesy cars to guests, which will take them anywhere within 3 miles or so, and pick guests up at appointed times. For the other trips, I will plan to hire a driver. Thanks, everyone!
Feb 20th, 2009, 03:18 PM

I work in Beverly Hills, and if I were staying here for three days and wanted easy access to shops and restaurants, I'd stay at either the Regent Beverly Wilshire or the Peninsula. Of these two, the Peninsula is smaller and feels more intimate. It's a couple of blocks farther from Rodeo Drive but probably equal distance from Neimans, Saks, Barneys.
Feb 21st, 2009, 07:37 AM

I suggested the car because the poster said, from the beginning, that she knows nothing of L.A. I get visitors who have been coming in for decades and many have said, I just want to go from here to here basically and don't plan on a car. Then when they get here they change their minds . A Parisian friend of mine just did this in November. Then I had to find him a car because he wanted more flexibility in getting around. He didn't go that far either. That's the only reason why I suggested it. Sorry. Have a great trip. Happy Travels!
Feb 21st, 2009, 08:04 AM

If you want to be a pedestrian, heed the advice to stay at the Beverly Wilshire which is very pedestrian-friendly! We stayed in LA for 3 mos last year and I used to take the Blue Bus from the house where we were near Century City into Beverly Hills quite often. Great streets for strolling either to shop, window shop or to go down residential side streets and enjoy the architecture and the landscaping. BH is very unlike the typical LA landscape and is a very walkable place!
Feb 21st, 2009, 08:06 AM

PS Scads of restaurants w/outdoor seating only a stone's throw from the hotel's front door!