LA Conservancy tours

Search

LA Conservancy tours

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16th, 2006, 06:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LA Conservancy tours

I was thinking about taking one of these next weekend, has anyone done one of their walking tours and would you recommend it? I've got my choice narrowed down to the Historic Core and the Broadway Theaters although the Art Deco and City Hall ones look interesting too.
Old Oct 20th, 2006, 12:32 PM

Hi Kristi,

I have taken the Art Deco tour and think it is wonderful. It has been a few years, but I remember that it goes into and past some great LA landmarks and also helps orient you to downtown.

As I recall, we saw some remarkable office buildings and theaters and - I think - that is when I saw Union Station. We peeked into Cicada restaurant, but it was closed at the time (I've since been back and it is worth seeing).

By all means go downtown and enjoy the Library, Grand Central Market, MOCA, the Japanese American Museum, maybe lunch at the Ciudad, Water Grill or Traxx. Also try to at least see the inside of the old movie palaces on Broadway.

Enjoy!

Old Oct 20th, 2006, 05:06 PM

wasinla has good suggestions! i would definitely take the downtown art deco tour.

have lunch at ciudad, not watergrill. i'm friends with one of the chefs at watergrill, and for a visitor, it's WAY WAY WAY expensive and not worth it. ciudad is delish and SO LA.

lynne (currentlyinla )
Old Oct 25th, 2006, 05:35 PM
Original Poster

I missed your responses as I was off line while in LA. I did do the Historic Core tour which does show off some of the fine art deco buildings as well as the library, the Bradley Building, the million dollar theater, etc. It was a very good tour, if I go back I'll do the Deco tour next time.

Our guide recommended a Mexican (Ye Olde something) about a block away from the Grand Central Market but their food didn't thrill me so I drove over and tried my first Tommy Burger
Old Oct 25th, 2006, 06:35 PM

hi again krisi! what did you think of the tour, of downtown LA in general, and of course-- of the tommy burger?

lynne
Old Oct 26th, 2006, 06:31 AM
Original Poster

I thought the tour was very good, downtown LA is a place that a lot of visitors don't see but I love architecture and downtown is a great place to see it. I especially liked that the tour popped into several of the buildings, something you might not do on your own. The interior of the old Edison building is gorgeous as is the Bradley Building. I'll definitely do another tour if/when I go back.

I ordered a double Tommy Burger, I think I read somewhere that the single was too small, and it was yummy! And then I headed over to see the Hollyhock House and to the Hollywood Forever cemetery, busy day!