Search

L.A. to Memphis

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27th, 2005, 09:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
L.A. to Memphis

Traveling I-40 in January L.A. to Memphis. Any help on areas that might be problems with snow would be appreciated. I know sometimes Flagstaff area can be difficult. What about areas in Oklahoma?
Also - any suggestions of good places to eat are welcome, plain or fancy.
Old Dec 30th, 2005, 05:51 PM

Oklahoma doesn't get much snow over the winter. So far, we've had about two days of snow with about two-three inches total, so it should be manageable. This winter's been very mild. Today's daytime temps were in the 60s and nighttime in the 40s. But as always, take it easy on bridges and overpasses if it's below freezing.

For eating places, stop by in Bricktown in downtown Oklahoma City. You can't miss it. Some interesting places to eat may be Toby Keith's I Love This Bar and Grill (yes, the country singer's joint), or Mickey Mantle's Steakhouse. For fusion cuisine, try The Mantel (not to be confused with the steakhouse). For just plain good roadfood, try Earl's Rib Palace for barbecue, also in Bricktown.

Hope this helps, and if you have any questions let me know.
Old Dec 30th, 2005, 06:01 PM

I know people have wildly different opinions, but we loved the bbq at Corky's in Memphis. We've done that drive, but only in summer. We had a great dinner in Gallup, NM. Was it also Earl's? We didn't eat in OK City, but we were very moved by the Memorial. Hope you get your kicks!
Old Dec 30th, 2005, 06:24 PM

sfamylou, Earl's is strictly an Oklahoma chain, but I'm sure your Gallup meal was good!! BTW, I'm glad you had a nice experience at the Memorial. FYI, the new federal building is up, with a somewhat controversial design.
Old Dec 30th, 2005, 09:31 PM

I looked it up; it was an Earl's in Gallup. Not a chain. It had a diner feel, but great New Mexican food. All through your meal, Indian men, women and children would stop by the table to sell all sorts of things: beaded bracelets, silver, clocks made out of polished logs. It was a great experience, right on old Route 66.