Search

L.A. hotels

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24th, 2005, 05:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
L.A. hotels

My mother and I are visiting L.A. in August. We are not "beach people" and want to do the touristy things plus (affordable) shopping. We are thinking 5 -7 days and taking bus tours to see the sights. My research has shown that we should be staying in West Hollywood, Hollywood, Beverly Hills. Is this reasonable??? Although we would love to stay at the $250.00 night hotels, budget does not allow. I have received excellent rates from the Holiday Inn and Comfort Inn ( both on N. Highland Ave.). Are they too good to be true? Should we pay more so we feel better about things? We want clean, comfortable and safe ... it doesn't have to be glitzy. Thanks for any help.
Old Apr 24th, 2005, 06:22 PM

I'm not sure about those places on Highland. We always stay at Summerfield Suites which is in a quiet and safe neighborhood in West Hollywood right at the border of Beverly Hills. There is gated under building parking as well as a nice rooftop pool with wonderful views.
Large rooms -- all suites with separate seating areas, and they are just completing a total redecoration of the building.
I'm not sure how the prices might change with the redoing, but we've usually paid about $139 to $159 including breakfast buffet-- and to us THAT always seemed to good to be true, for such a great place.
Old Apr 24th, 2005, 06:46 PM

Whooops! I thought I'd check their website and see how much rooms were running and I couldn't find the Summerfield Suites. That's because since the renovation it has become The Chamberlain Hotel. Their smaller suites are still $139, or they have a Grand King Suite at $169 -- all newly redecorated, etc. No more complimentary breakfast though.
Old Apr 24th, 2005, 07:38 PM

Comfort on Highland is new and nice, Holiday Inn a step down and acceptable, but I would not recommend them for two women alone only because, while the neighborhood is generally safe, there's a long two-block walk to take back to these hotels at night and you probably would not be real comfortable.

I would recommend hilgardhouse.com

The neighborhood is around the corner from UCLA, upscale and safe. The shuttle ride from LAX won't be as expensive as to Hollywood, so you'll save a little there to help offset that it is more expensive than Comfort Inn. Lots of dining and some shopping at your doorstep, you'll just have to familiarize yourself with the MTA bus system. A 7 minute bus ride drops you in the heart of Beverly Hills, maybe 15-20 minutes to Santa Monica, just one bus and a 25 minute ride to Hollywood Walk of Fame and the subway up to Universal.

Before you go, print out some bus maps. Go to mta.net and plug in the hotel address as your starting point and the address of your destination. A bus pass is $3 per day.

Hang out in the student union at UCLA on your first day, have breakfast or lunch, meet some students who'll tell you all about what to do and see.

Be sure and visit The Getty, just a 5 minute ride away. By the way, this hotel is just to the west of Beverly Hills. Holiday Inn Bel Air is also in this area, but not really walking distance to anything, though they do have "local area shuttle service". If the rates are a lot better here, consider it though you'd want to check on the hours that shuttle is available etc.
Old Apr 25th, 2005, 04:39 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the input. My mom (74) and I have decided to put out the extra $ and stay in a place we feel really good about. I have the feeling that we may be paying alot for the history at the Roosevelt Hotel on Hollywood Blvd. (am I right?) so we're leaning toward the Renaissance across the street. Also considering the Best Western Sunset Plaza and/or The Grafton on Sunset. I get the feeling we'll be closer to things staying at the Renaissance. Comments????
Old Apr 25th, 2005, 05:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The Renaissance is close to the subway if you plan to go up to Universal or down to the Music Center. It is attached to a shopping mall that is mostly specialty shops and Starbucks-type places , there is a good Wolfgang Puck restaurant and the California Pizza Kitchen there too. Outside is the walk-of-fame and lots of tacky tourist shops. Hollywood is still pretty grimey at night so for two women alone....I dunno. I think you may be paying extra money for disappointment. The hotel itself is great...but the neighborhood, for shopping and dining and walking-at-night is no great shakes. 6 nights here would get pretty dull in my opinion. I'd go for 5 nights around Beverly Hills probably if it came to about the same price. When you leave your Bev Hills or Westwood digs for a day trip up to Hollywood/Renaissance, you'll see what I mean.
Old Apr 25th, 2005, 08:12 PM

The Grafton? I dunno, everytime we drive by there coming from the Standard hotel, there's TONS of pretty young people crowding the front, making the scene. It seems like a real hip place, it may be noisy all night, maybe not the place for your 74 year old mother.

"Closer to things" depends on what "things" you want to see.

love
roxy
Old Apr 25th, 2005, 09:14 PM

I like the Sunset Plaza but only if your mom is a good walker...there is lots of dining and shopping within 5 or 6 blocks...you won't have a car, right?

Old Apr 26th, 2005, 12:34 PM

I'm delighted that you decided to skip the first two properties you selected. I would definitely get out of Hollywood for lodging.

The others have given you good choices. A somewhat offbeat but fine possibility might be the Farmer's Daughter Motel, across from CBS Television City and the Farmer's Market. Don't scoff at the kitschy name-- it's a newly-renovated, quite nice motor hotel. Rates are reasonable.

What kind of "affordable" shopping are you thinking of doing? That could steer some posters to suggest certain neighborhoods over others (not me-- I tend not to "shop" but "buy", which steers me to drive down to Orange County, where the sales tax is lower).
Old Apr 27th, 2005, 02:46 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again for all the help and suggestions. We don't plan to rent a car. We plan to do a few guided bus tours. As for shopping, I dunno ... we want to visit Rodeo Dr. fully aware we won't be able to afford anything. Is there a factory outlet mall in the area or where are the shopping areas for regular people?

My mom is in great shape and can walk and shop all day long. But, if the Sunset Plaza is a 5 or 6 block walk to shopping etc. is there a hotel that would be more central for us?
Old Apr 27th, 2005, 04:25 AM

calamity, I have no idea what "more central" means in LA. It is the most sprawling, spread out city in the US. I hate to tell you, but it is the number one city in America where to me a car is neither a luxury or an inconvenience but a NECESSITY. I feel sorry for you not having a car in LA, as frankly it will greatly restrict you.
Old Apr 27th, 2005, 07:11 AM

Patrick is 100% correct. Without a car, you will essentially be stuck in one area. Public transportation is not that good in this area.

And I knew the outlet mall issue would crop up, and the plain and simple answer is: There is basically only one that can be considered within the city of LA-- the Citadel, in Commerce. Only 16 or so miles away from Beverly Hills (as an easy point of reference), but 16 not easy miles. The best outlet malls in southern California are in Camarillo, Cabazon and Carlsbad-- all long drives from Beverly Hills.

Happily for you, if you do stay in the Beverly Hills/West Hollywood area, Beverly Center and Century City Mall are both good shopping centers. For that matter, the area around Rodeo Drive includes many mid-level stores. Not everyone in BH can afford Harry Winston's jewels-- don't be fooled. Santa Monica has the Third Street Promenade, Santa Monica Place, as well as shops and boutiques on Montana Ave and Main St, so a bus or cab ride will get you to alternative shopping.
Old Apr 27th, 2005, 10:31 AM

My suggestion is to consider staying in Santa Monica. There is a variety of places to stay, lots of dining and plenty of shopping - both mall and boutique. Very near the beach (a morning walk on the boardwalk?) and bus lines, and tours will pick you up at your hotel. It has an upscale feel and is safe. Evening stolling is very common. If you do a seach on Santa Monica you'll get a ton of info.
Old Apr 27th, 2005, 01:48 PM

I second babs--you will love SM and can easily take a tour to see the Hollywood stuff. SM offers great strolling as well as that southern CA ambiance of being on the ocean. If you go to BH, be sure to ride the public open air trolley that takes you all around. It is only ~$2 and is narrated by enthusiastic young people.
Old Apr 27th, 2005, 03:32 PM

Now that we have you thoroughly confused, let me say that you might get a $129 rate at Universal Hilton in August. This is a great 3.5 star hotel next to Universal Studios Tour (which is a few miles north of Hollywood.) They have an activity desk that will book your bus tours for you. Citywalk is attached...shops, restaurants and nightclubs. The subway is a short stroll and will take you to HollywoodandHighland.com A 15 min bus ride will take you to Burbank Media Center Mall/more dining or in the other direction to Fashion Square Mall. It is an area that out-of-towners should feel quite safe in, and you'll meet a lot of other tourists to cruise around with. Not sure if you're interested in Universal Tour or Warner Brothers or NBC Tour but if so, this would be a good location to base yourself at.

If you don't have your air tickets yet, maybe you can get a good fare into Burbank airport instead of LAX, it's a much easier commute from the Universal area...in fact the hotel probably will pick you up there.
Old Apr 27th, 2005, 03:36 PM

clark: My caveat to your correct and good advice is this: The Valley in August?! The heat and smog would combine for a most uncomfortable experience. It gets hot in BH/WeHo, but nothing like a broiling Burbank afternoon. And let's not even think about Pasadena...!

Otherwise, your suggestions are really good.
Old Apr 27th, 2005, 05:59 PM

rjw_lgb_ca is so right about the heat in the valley! We have even been hot in Santa Monica in August, and were it not for the breezes and the cooler evenings, it would have been very unpleasant, so I continue to endorse the Santa Monica idea for a place to stay.

Old Apr 27th, 2005, 06:22 PM
Original Poster

Yes, you're right! Although I am now thoroughly confused I appreciate all your comments and advice. Apparently the only sure thing about this trip so far is that we will be using LAX as we will be flying Air Canada (my ex-husband is a captain and he is giving us passes). NOW, there is definitely something to talk about!
Old Apr 28th, 2005, 11:26 AM

Again, I suggest considering Santa Monica. Closer to LAX than other places mentioned and it's a great place to base yourself while there, especially without use of a car.
Old Apr 28th, 2005, 11:41 AM

Do Santa Monica hotels offer pickups from Starline Tours and other Hollywood sightseeing companies like the Bev Hills/West Hollywood hotels do?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -