L.A. girl seeks fun in chicago..

Old Jan 19th, 2001, 03:45 PM
ana

L.A. girl seeks fun in chicago..

I am 33, going to chicago on business in Feb for 2 weeks... good restaurants? sports bars? nice hotels? any MUST do things..? I am very outgoing, single and have fun!

Old Jan 19th, 2001, 04:07 PM
Jeanette

Bring a warm coat and probably some nice warm leather boots too. You will need gloves/ scarf too, even if you just plan on walking 3 or 4 blocks at a time between places. You will find the fun but don't forget that it is 20 degrees outside and the wind is brisk to say the least. Are you planning on staying in the Loop area or do you have business in Northern or Western burbs?

Old Jan 21st, 2001, 11:37 AM
arjay

Wise words, about the warm clothing. Plan on a turtleneck or two, as well, and a good sweater or two. (If Los Angelenos don't wear t-necks, check the Lands' End site and order on-line). Fersure, you will want to sample Chicago pizza. Head for Pizzaria Uno or Due, on Wabash at Ohio and at Ontario. THIS is where Chicago pizza got started. If you have time, perhaps on a mild Saturday or Sunday, head for the Lincoln Park Zoo - as much fun in winter (or more) as in summer. Chicago is a fun, world-class city - Enjoy!

Old Jan 22nd, 2001, 05:49 AM
Kris

www.metromix.com is a great website for info on Chicago-restaurants, hotels, bars, etc.

Chicago has a lot of fabulous restaurants, if you give a price range and what kind of food you like, it would be easier to help.

Must do things will also depend on your interests. The top draws in Chicago are the Art Institute, the Shedd Aquarium, the Field Museum, and shopping on Michigan Avenue. Navy Pier is fun to wander around, more so in the warmer months.

Chicago has a pretty lively theater schedule. You might consider Second City (get tickets in advance for Fri/Sat)or Blue Man Group.

Old Jan 22nd, 2001, 06:28 AM
abe

Just moved here a year ago and love it in the summer! winter is another story. Some people don't mind the weather but i'm from georgia and not used to it so i can hardly stand to go outside in the winter! I think 20 degrees wasa little ambitious, more like 5F with winchill of -10! Anyway, i would skip Navy Pier as it itsonly fun in the summer. My picks are 1) experience Michigan Avenue and the Mag Mile (this is a shopping heaven - 1 mile long of every store imagineable and fun for strolling and people watching as well) Out of the cultural event listed i would choose the Field Museum for one cultural thing to do. My pick for a restaurant is Gibson's and sbsolutely famous steakhouse with not too outrageous of a price. Also for a fun night on the town go just north of downtown to Wrigleyville. This the name for the neighborhood around, Wrigley Field, home of the Cubs. The streets are lined with late night restaurants, hip clubs, and tons of great sports bars. This is where most people go for nights out. My picks are The Cubby Bear (sports bar with 2 bands and dance floors) Resteraunts, Tuscany - great Italian food one block north of ballpaark and Heaven on Seven - fun latenight restaurant - New Orleans Mardi Gras style. This area is much better than downtown, which tends to be businesspeople weekday nights and a bit cheesy adn tourist trappy on weekends! HAve fun!

Old Jan 22nd, 2001, 07:04 AM
Kim

Hi Ana,

Definitely get out for some blues and/or jazz. For blues our favorites are B.L.U.E.S. on Halsted and Rosa's. Most people also like Kingston Mines - which is across the street from B.L.U.E.S. For jazz I would recommend the Green Mill or Green Dolphin Street. Pick up a Reader at one of the Coffee House's or at a White Hen (like a 7-11 - you'll see them around) for information on what's going on for entertainment.