Reload this Page >

From Malaysia to Boston

Search

From Malaysia to Boston

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15th, 2001, 09:48 AM
faridah

From Malaysia to Boston

Hi,Its currently very warm here in Malaysia. I am looking forward to snow and chilly wheather. Will it still snow in middle March? Do I need to get really thick winter gear? I will be staying in the John jeffries House. There's not much info on the net. Appreciate some feedback from people who have stayed there. Will be back later. Bye

Faridah

Old Jan 15th, 2001, 11:09 AM
Bostonian

March is usually still quite cold in Boston, especially (I would guess) by Malaysian standards. Nights in the 20s (F) and days in the 40s are typical, but March also can be very unpredictable and brisk winds often add to the chill. I believe that March is also the month in which New England typically gets the most snow and there is usually snow on the ground, though this also varies considerably year-to-year. To the north and west of Boston March is still winter and the upcountry ski areas are all in full operation, so if you're looking for snow and there's none in town you won't have far to travel. I've never heard of the John Jeffries House - perhaps someone else can help there.

Old Jan 16th, 2001, 06:37 AM
faridah

I can't wait to get to Boston. My only regret is the restricted amount of days I get to spend there. Still, what can I do? I'm in my 30's and will be with my sister. Anything fun to suggest?

Old Jan 16th, 2001, 07:10 AM
Bostonian

Well, I'm in my 50s - so we probably have different definitions of what's fun. When we go into the city it's for dining, the Museum of Fine Arts, or symphony. We also enjoy walking around the North End, which is Boston's version of "Little Italy." All that would of course be covered in any guide book. I understand there's an active "club" scene in town, but can't vouch for it personally.

Boston of course has many historical sites, many of which are linked by a walking tour called the "Freedom Trail", so if you have any interest in that it might we worthwhile to brush up a bit on early American history before you come. Also, since you seem to be interested in snow, consider spending a day or two at one of the ski areas in New Hampshire or Vermont and giving it a try - all places rent equipment and give introductory lessons at moderate rates. If downhill seems a bit intimidating you could try one of the many cross-country areas.

Old Jan 16th, 2001, 07:30 AM
faridah

Actually I'm in my thirties with 5 kids. What you suggested sound about right to me! I'm keen to try out the nightlife but most of the times age catches up at about 11pm. I have actually been to your fair city about 14yrs ago as a student. all I could remember was walking the Freedom Trail in the freezing cold. The feeling was so great that I'm bringing my sister to experience it.
Is Boston really that walkable? the map shows otherwise. Are there any area that I should avoid?
By the way, the John Jeffries house is in David G. Mugar road. Still no clue?
Thanks

Old Jan 16th, 2001, 02:32 PM
Bostonian

Faridah -

I think most people view Boston as one of the more "walkable" of American cities, though you'll want to dress accordingly for March. You have no idea how much it pains me to say this, but if I were a person of color, which I assume you may be, I might want to stay out of the hardcore Irish areas of South Boston. Otherwise, I don't think there's any particular area to avoid, but it's always prudent to take the same precautions one would in any city - avoiding dark deserted areas at night, etc.

I'm guessing that the John Jeffries House may be in the Boston University section of the Back Bay. The Mugars have been big BU benefactors over the years.

I'm sending you a private email with my email address and will be glad to continue this dialogue directly if you like.

Old Jan 16th, 2001, 03:32 PM
Loves the JJeff

The John Jeffries -- I hesitate to inform all -- is a very well-kept secret treasure right next to the Charles St. stop on the T, on the "edge" of Beacon Hill. Despite its proximity to the T, it's really pretty quiet, unbelievably convenient to everything, well priced, with a very nice clientele and wonderful staff. We stay there every time we go to Boston, which is 3-4 times a year. It's NOT a Holiday Inn -- less cookie-cutter -- nor a Hyatt -- modest, not 4-star, but very comfortable and quaint. It used to be a nurses' residence for nearby Mass. General Hospital, so the rooms are oddly shaped, and many have kitchenettes. Breakfast is a modest "Continental" style breakfast -- rolls, croissants, juice, coffee/tea and fresh but uncut fruit. Warning: they run out of baked goods toward the end of the breakfast hours, so you need to get there early (you can take it up to your room).

This is a wonderful place, I give it my hearty recommendation as a "find" in Boston, and I want everyone but Faridah to forget I ever mentioned it!

Old Jan 17th, 2001, 06:31 AM
JT

I found the heating/airco in the JJeffries erratic, but you cannot beat it for location.

Yes, it may well snow in March -- some of our worst blizzards...... keep track of what your airline is doing before departure from Boston.

Old Jan 17th, 2001, 07:12 AM
Ann

Tried posting yesterday and got bumped by the new system. I'll try again.

I discovered that the John Jeffries House is currently owned by the Mass Eye and Ear Infermery, and many of its patients stay there during treatment. Sounds like a good reccomendation to me.
Also, the address (on David Mugar Way) was a surprize to me. Seem Embankment Road must have had a recent name change. They still list the address on many local sites as the former. If you ask for David Mugar Way you may get lots of puzzled looks from locals.

As for weather in March, dress in layers. You probably won't want to invest in a winter coat as you'll seldom use it after this trip, but bring things like sweaters, sweatshirts, turtleneck tee-shirts, etc. and layer them according to the daily weather reports. You may want to bring good walking shoes which offer some degree of waterproofing. Boston can get very slushy and wet in March (or be beautiful). As we say here, if you don't like the weather, wait a minute. Have a great visit and feel free to write me if you have more questions.

Old Jan 22nd, 2001, 07:41 AM
faridah

Thank you for all the replies. I haven't been unable to acsess this site for days. Anyway, I'm beginning to feel better and better about my lodging choice. You would not believe the amount of boo-boos I've made in selecting overseas accomodation over the years. Only the ones that I've booked with RCI are premium and outstanding. Now I'm smarter. I'll just log on to Fodors and talk to all you nice people. Thanks