Kona vs. Kohala Coast

Sep 9th, 2019, 08:24 AM
Original Poster

Kona vs. Kohala Coast

Travelling to the Big Island February 2020 and having a hard time deciding whether to stay in Kona or north on the Kohala Coast. We will have a car but being able to walk to restaurants/bars is important to us. Are there lots of options for restaurants in the Kohala Coast area?
Sep 9th, 2019, 06:09 PM

Waikoloa Resort and Mauna Lani have shopping centers with various restaurants (other than those in the resort hotels, such as the Marriott or several in the Hilton), and there are several places in kawaihae harbor. I would far prefer the Kolhala coast (and proximity to fine beaches) to Kona and the crowds, traffic, and other problems.
Sep 10th, 2019, 04:31 AM

I don't know the answer to your question. But I loved staying at the Hilton Waikoloa resort.
YEARS ago, the secretary's daughter (from work) was a travel agent and got a pre-opening tour of the resort. I found her photos amazing. Fast forward a couple of decades, and I spent a week there on Hilton points. To be honest, we were out and out most of the day (and took an overnight to stay in Volcano and do a big circular drive of the island) but we loved the resort. Most nights we ordered room service to eat on the balcony and the curry dish was so good I ordered it three times during that week. My partner ordered the same entree three times too! The complex is HUGE so there are many options within the resort - but that may not be the kind of experience you are looking for. A few nights later (after flying to Kauai) we were back for four nights at the Four Seasons. So we spent almost two weeks just 13 miles apart - but it was a fabulous trip. Not sure if that helps at all or not.