Kona Travel

Jul 16th, 2004, 12:08 PM
Original Poster

Kona Travel

Hi all. My wife and I are planning a trip to Kona this fall. We're looking for a cool B&B or INN as well as some great beaches to visit (clothing optional) and good snorkeling. Also, places to eat. Happy Travelin'!
Jul 16th, 2004, 05:33 PM

Not sure about B&B's but Hapuna Beach (about 40 minutes N of Kona) is the best public beach on the island. As for snorkeling, I'd recommend the Fairwinds snorkel/scuba/snuba cruise to Keakakua Bay (they're located in S. Kona). Enjoy!
Jul 16th, 2004, 06:12 PM

Just a word of warning -- there are _no_ clothing-optional beaches in the state of Hawai`i, and law enforcement is being far more deligent than in years past.
Jul 16th, 2004, 07:13 PM

well, while snorkeling at Hapuna beach last fall, there was a 20ish woman who was openly sunbathing topless....
there are tucked away areas with less people ....and the beach was almost deserted. Didn't see any Nekked Police!
Jul 17th, 2004, 01:06 PM

I've stayed at the Holualoa Inn a couple of times, and love it. It is not beachfront--it's up in the mountains, on a coffee plantation, with a stunning view of the Kona coast from most of the rooms. The building is lovely, open air, with a nice pool and hot tub, a pretty rooftop gazebo, as well as a kitchen and grill area the guests can use. It's about a 10-minute drive down to Kailua. The owners are not on the premises in the evening, so the guests have the run of the place.
Jul 17th, 2004, 01:20 PM
bonniebroad

I've got (have heard of.......) just the place for you! www.dragonflyranch.com.......... It's a very interesting-sounding place, and for the not-up-tight. Check out their website.......... it's a beautiful website, if nothing else!

Jul 17th, 2004, 01:28 PM
bonniebroad

I am nothing if not annoyingly helpful.........

Here is a link for an article on nude beaches on the Big Island:

http://gohawaii.about.com/cs/beaches/a/nude_beaches.htm