Kona Restaurants Day Trips and other good places to visit on the Big Island

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16th, 2004, 04:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am going to the Big Island and staying at the Mauna Lani Bay Hotel from Jan. 4th-11th. I have several activities planned like taking a helicopter tour and a horse back tour through a rainforest. Other than that though I would like some ideas on fun things to do. I have been to the Big Island before but I was younger, this will be my first time driving around. What are some good restaurants to check out in Kona and the surrounding area. Any suggestions for activities and restaurants would be great!
Old Nov 16th, 2004, 05:13 PM

I'd highly recommed the Fairwinds snorkel (you can also dive or snuba)cruise to Keaukakua Bay. The boat leaves from South Kona and is a steal (IMHO) of a trip for the cost (approx. $35). I'd also encourage you to go to Hapuna Beach (right up the road from your hotel). FYI- The waves could be quite high that time of year. However, Hapuna having one of the few sand bottom/bar breaks is one of the safest and best places in all of Hawaii to boogie board/body surf. Enjoy!!!
Old Nov 16th, 2004, 05:32 PM

The Fodors guide to the Big Island (elsewhere at Fodors.com) is actually really good.

Be sure and spend at least a day at the Volcano National Park. It is a one of a kind place! If you are renting a car, you can drive through on your own and spend as much time as you like at the various sights.
Old Nov 16th, 2004, 06:54 PM

As for restaurants you must try Roys located in the Kings shops. We ate there twice during our recent vacation. we liked it so much we tried the one here in Chicago and it has become one our favorites. Also try Merrimans, (in the Kings shops as well) for good food in a casual setting. we also tried Huggos in town and though it was good for the money Roys is alot better IMHO. Other good restaurants include the Big Island steak house and the Japanese restaurant (name?) in the Kings Shops. There is a Chinese restaurant there that was highly recommended in "The Big island Revealed" and very disappointing for us. The food was very bland, portions so-so and service very so-so.
Old Nov 16th, 2004, 07:48 PM

I stayed at the Mauna Lani Bay Hotel about 5 years ago. It is a geat place with excellent service.

As far as activities I highly suggest taiking a guided tour of the Island. This is the best way to get a good overview. I took a Roberts Hawaii all day Grand Circle Island tour and really enjoyed it. I took a similar tour on Oahu last spring and was equally pleased.

http://www.roberts-hawaii.com/search...fm?island_id=3
Old Nov 16th, 2004, 10:53 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestion. The tour sounded great until I read that the pick ups start at 6:15 am. We definately won't want to wake up before 9 or 10,haha.
Old Nov 17th, 2004, 02:34 AM

There's really no need to do a bus tour on BI if you have your own car. ALL of the roads in Hawaii (unlike in the Caribbean) are well-marked and there are great maps. I much prefer the freedom of being able to stop and go at my own pace!
Old Nov 17th, 2004, 03:29 AM

I found this article from Hemispheres Magazine's Three Perfect Days series to be very helpful when planning our trip to the Big Island.

http://www.hemispheresmagazine.com/t...03/hawaii.html
Old Nov 17th, 2004, 07:33 AM

Heres another suggestion. Drive south from Kona to the black sand beach. Afterwards continue on 11 (I think) up to Hilo. The topography will change dramatically from dry and arid to lush and wet. Then take the heli tour from the Hilo side. They are less expensvie there due to being so much closer to the volcanoes, lava flows and the waterfall. Then return to Kona from the opposite direction, i.e. go north to the top of the BI, then south. That way you have circled the island in one day and did the heli ride as well, all for less money. We did this and it worked fine. Then have dinner at Roys that night. Aloha!