Search

kona/hilo

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22nd, 2002, 04:33 AM
lizzy

kona/hilo

I was wondering if you all knew how long of drive it is from kona coast to the volcanoes? Can't seem to find info anywhere, I know mil. but cond of roads, etc.
thanks

Old Feb 22nd, 2002, 04:40 AM
Cindy

It depends, for one thing, on where on the Kona coast you start from. Another factor is whether you take the north route, the south route, or the saddle road. The roads are generally in good repair, but because it's a mountainous area there are lots of twists and turns that add to your travelling time.

Old Feb 22nd, 2002, 04:50 AM
sss

It has been a few years for me I thought is was about 4 hours you want to get a night view in, if I did not know when I was getting back to Hawaii I would want a few night views in. There is better outdoor life in general on the hilo side. Just 11/2 hours away you have Waipio Valley and the Hamakua coast closer you have green beaches, thurstons lava tub and surrounding rainforest, a lot of stuff up there don't be pulled as I have been by the slick resorts on Kona side.

Old Feb 22nd, 2002, 04:51 AM
sss

I was talking about a night veiw of the Lava flow.

Old Feb 22nd, 2002, 06:52 AM
kwl

It took us about 2 hours to go around the north side in the morning from the Four Seasons area of Kona to the volcano. The way back, we went on the south side (at night) and that took about 3 1/2 hours to get back.

It's well worth the trip, and I'd stick to going around the north side. We saw absolutely nothing on the way back.

Have fun!

Old Feb 22nd, 2002, 09:16 AM
lizzy

thanks for your help as usual...