Reload this Page >

Help!! Need a vacation spot in Texas.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21st, 2002, 02:58 AM
Amy

Message: My parents are trying to plan a trip for the whole family. The parents live in Atlanta, but my sisters family and my family live here in Houston TExas whereas my other sister lives in Philadelphia. So my parents want to try to do a vacation here in Texas so that the majority of us can drive. They want to rent a house for a week where we can all stay in it. We will have a total of five children (5,3, 2 (9months) and 1 (6 month old). Where in Texas can we vacation besides the beach since we come from Pensacola and love those beaches? We are planning a trip for Sept. / Oct. time frame? Any advice would be helpful for I don't even know where to begin.
Thanks!

Old Feb 21st, 2002, 05:17 AM
Melissa

Well, I would say Corpus Christi but if you live near the beach already, San Antonio is fun. They have lots of missions and the river walk. Probably not best for really small ones. Send for one of those texas travel books from the tourism office.

Old Feb 21st, 2002, 05:18 AM
Anne

Why not hit the Hill Country. There are some scenic areas. Fredericksburg has wonderful shopping and b&b's. You might also look at San Antonio. If it were summer you could hit the white water rafting in San Marcos.

Old Feb 21st, 2002, 07:35 AM
Catherine

I don't know what your budget requirements are, but I would recommend the Hill Country Hyatt near San Antonio. It is a wonderful hotel that suits all ages. There is plenty to do at the hotel itself--bike riding, putt-putt, several pools and a "river" where you can float on inner tubes. They have complimentary marshmellow roasts at night on the "beach". The hotel is very near Sea World and about 15 mins. from downtown San Antonio. In San Antonio you can walk along the river walk and eat Mexican food, visit the Institute for Texas Cultures, see IMAX movies, go to the Alamo--a wide variety of activities.

Old Feb 21st, 2002, 07:37 AM
katlyb

Is Padre Island too far? Fun place!

Old Feb 21st, 2002, 07:48 AM
Davy Crockett

Second the Hyatt Hill Country suggestion. They do have a house on the proprty, not sure what the rates are like. The kids are too young for Fiesta Texas, maybe even for Sea World, but the resort offers lots of relaxation opportunities for all. Travel time into downtown San Antonio is more like 30 minutes than 15 (maybe more if traffic is bad) but worth it. The kids might enjoy the San Antonio Zoo, are probably too young to enjoy the missions or Riverwalk. How about a babysitter arranged through the hotel and the grownups get a day to themselves?

Old Feb 21st, 2002, 07:51 AM
Nicole

South Padre Island is great for families and the beaches are just as good as the Emerald coast. Corpus is a great place too. October would be a great time to visit those two as well. San Antonio is a GREAT place to visit-- lots of stuff for the kids and the adults...and Sept/Oct is a good time to go...still hot, but not as bad as July!

Old Feb 21st, 2002, 08:54 AM
connie

New Braunels is halfway between Austin and San Antonio, both of which have lots to do. Just down the road in San Marcos is a huge outlet mall. You are also right in the heart of the hill country.

The biggest draw to N.B. is Schlitterbahn water park/resort. It is voted as the best water park in the world year after year. What would be good for you is that they have all sizes of lodging, including full size houses. It's a fun place for all ages.

Old Feb 21st, 2002, 09:45 AM
Amy

Thank you for your replies to my message. If you have any more ideas I would love to hear them. It is just so hard to plane this vacation since the children are so young. We have thought about driving to Mobile, Alabama and go to the beach there, but we just aren't sure. It would be fun to try something new and honestly i don't want to drive 7 hours.
Thanks again and hope to hear some more responses.

Old Feb 21st, 2002, 10:02 AM
lisa

Schlitterbahn closes weekdays some time in August and is open only the first two weekends in September. If you could get there at that time, your kids would love it! (I just happened to see it last night on the travel channel as the #1 Waterpark in the US). Otherwise, I think I'd have to agree with the Hill Country Hyatt. I've read and heard a lot about it. You could still spend time in San Antonio and San Marcos for day trips.

Old Feb 22nd, 2002, 09:36 AM
april

Don't know if the kids would be too young for this, but there's a place called the Fossil Rim Center about 90 minutes south of Dallas that is set up like an African safari. There's a watering hole for the animals to congregate at and different tours the family can go on. You have your choice of staying in a lodge overlooking the watering hole, or in air-conditioned tents. Animals that can be seen include giraffes, wildebeasts, and cheetah. Prices for the lodge start at $150/night and $175 for tents.

Can't give you a more detailed description. My 9 year old daughter and I won't be there until Labor Day weekend. We're so excited!!