Kids in Maui

Old Jan 29th, 2007, 06:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kids in Maui

We're renting a house in the Lahaina area next year and will be traveling with kids- ages 3 1/2, 2, and 7 months.

We've been to Hawaii several times and really aren't looking to do a heckuva lot, except for going to the beach and just relaxing.

But I would like to take the kids to do *something*. We'll have 4 adults with us, so we can split up the kids if something is appropriate for the older ones, but not the baby.

The sugartrain sounds like fun.
I want to avoid a Luau.
We have aquariums here in San Diego, so we might pass on that, too.

Is there a shorter boat trip we could take our 3 1/2 year old on? (I don't want something that is a 1/2 day trip. Just maybe 1 or 2 hours?)

Any suggestions, or should we just count on the beach, pool, and eating ice cream cones in Lahaina?

Old Jan 29th, 2007, 08:32 AM

I think your children might like a visit to the Maui Ocean Center:

http://www.mauioceancenter.com/home.html

Old Jan 29th, 2007, 04:22 PM

aloha, i live in Oahu but went to maui for a weekend trip w/ my family. my son was two at the time and enjoyed the sugar train ( pick up tourist books it has coupons) and the reef dancer ( www.mauiglassbottomboat.com ). the reef dancer is a glass bottom boat & divers go into the water & bring up creatures to your window to view. i wasn't sure about bringing him the submarine so i tried this one & liked it. it was about a 45 minute ride.
Old Jan 29th, 2007, 11:02 PM

You may wish to review Pacific Whale Foundation's Pacificwhale.org. The PWF operates tours, including whale watch "ecotours," of varying durations for all age groups. Some tours are free to children as old as 6 years. Our children enjoyed the Lana`i snorkel/dolphin/whale excursion when they were 6-9 years.
Old Jan 30th, 2007, 05:54 AM

Grounds of the Hyatt at Kaanapali have penguins, flamingos and parrots to look at. Zoo Maui at Kula is a very small zoo geared for younger kids. Check out the "parrot guy" at Lahaina, kids are covered in parrots & picture taken. Whale skeleton on display at Whalers Village.
Old Feb 23rd, 2007, 10:32 AM
Original Poster

thanks for the suggestions! The glass bottom boat looks especially fun for kids.