Search

Kid-friendly B&Bs

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20th, 2007, 11:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kid-friendly B&Bs

Finding a good B&B that allows kids, especially those under 12 years old, is nearly impossible. I'd love to find out if there's a way to find such places in different locales. Every time someone sends a link to a phenomenal B&B, even a "homey" one, they don't allow kids.

Has anyone found a good B&B that is kid-friendly? I'm not concerned about children's activities rather just allowing them at all. Our focus would be New England, but our future travel plans have widened so anywhere in the US or elsewhere would be good to know.
Old Mar 20th, 2007, 03:04 PM

I have a website for you that may help.
www.virtualcities.com/ons/children.htm
Old Mar 20th, 2007, 03:04 PM

ttt
Old Mar 20th, 2007, 03:15 PM

Check this thread out for some ideas in Newport RI

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...1&tid=34950104

Hope this helps...
Debi
Old Mar 20th, 2007, 03:35 PM
GoTravel

rhrd, you'd be better off trying to find inns than B&Bs. Most B&Bs don't allow children because of the furniture, thin walls, and because it isn't conducive to the B&B atmosphere. B&Bs usually aren't set up for children's entertainment.

Country inns or inns (not that they are in the country, that is just a category) will give you the flavor of a B&B with the structure and amenities of a hotel.

Old Mar 20th, 2007, 06:20 PM

The Lady MacDonald Country Inn in Canmore, Alberta was great when we stayed for four nights last Christmas with our three small children.

I agree with the posters comment about small inns ... another one we've stayed at is the Adobe Inn in MOnterey, CA.

I think you just have to do your homework... I've always been pleased and felt comfortable... I have three boys, now 7, 5 and 2.
Old Mar 20th, 2007, 07:24 PM

These two Inns in Carmel, CA were kid-friendly:
http://www.carmelgardencourtinn.com/
I'm not familiar with New England.
Old Mar 20th, 2007, 07:35 PM

People go to B&Bs to get away from kids, not be around them (espcially someone else's). I think that's probably why you are having trouble finding a good match.

Why do you wantto stay at a B&B with your kids?
Old Mar 20th, 2007, 11:47 PM

We too have never stayed at a B&B because we usually take our kids on our travels with us. We stayed at our first B&B last summer in Kentucky which allowed kids. They have a couple rooms with extra beds for kids, including one with a baby crib. The grounds were great for the kids. Lots of space to run around with all sorts of animals (llamas, alpacas, horses, dogs, cats). Also, there are lots of fruits grown on the property, free for all to pick. Our kids had fun feeding the horse apples picked right off the tree.

Additionally, the meals and dessert snacks were excellent! The pancakes and brownies were the best I've ever had--EVER (and I've had many). Voted best B&B in KY, best B&B breakfast in southeast US, best b&b w/ historical charm in USA. A little out of the way but since we were in Kentucky for a conference, we decided to try it out as it came highly recommended on this forum. We are glad we stayed there. Check their website for more info: www.maplehillmanor.com/
Old Mar 28th, 2007, 03:30 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice, I'll be looking into a few of the options. We loved our trip to a B&B in Vermont, and are actually looking at moving into a Victorian (turn of the century) house. The breakfasts were really, really good, and the innkeeper made us feel at home without being intrusive. It would be a very comfortable home base for a trip, that's why. I guess many B&B's cater to "romantic couples"?

I personally hate hotels, it feels like a dorm room all over again. We'll have to look for some inns, it sounds like that may be appropriate. Has anyone gone to the Wildflower Inn in Vermont?
Old Mar 28th, 2007, 03:48 PM

Inns are the answer. Many offer the breakfasts the B&B offers, but they are better designed for kids.