Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Kiahanu Plantation, Hyatt, Princeville or Hanalei Bay Resort?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17th, 2002, 10:11 PM
erica

Hi- staying Kauai in Feb of 2003. Trying to decide which place to book. Looking for great views, great pool and lush surroundings. It would be nice to be within walking distance of some restaurants if poss ible. Where should we stay? Money is almost-no object. Thanks

Old Sep 18th, 2002, 01:22 AM
Casey

Princeville. definitely!!!!!!! It is the most gorgeous place, much better than the others and you can have Sushi and other appetizers watching incredible sunsets in the LIving Room and see the most spectacular views imaginable. The Hyatt is anywheresville, not necessarily Kauai and the others aren't in the same league.

Old Sep 18th, 2002, 03:59 AM
DR

Would recommend the Princeville as well (actually staying there myself in Feb). Just be forewarned about the weather....rainy season that time of year on that side of the island

Old Sep 18th, 2002, 05:36 AM
Jean

We traveled to Kauai a few years ago and decided against Princeville and for the Hyatt because I read that the rooms at the Princeville didn't have balconies. We were traveling froml the midwest in the middle of winter and a high priority was to be able to just step outside in the warm, tropical air.

We enjoyed the Hyatt. The pool area was beautiful.

Old Sep 18th, 2002, 05:53 AM
Joe

The Kiahuna Plantation has no pool although you have privileges at the Sheraton next door. The beach is adjacent to Poipu State Beach which is absolutely fabuluous. Also, the Kiahuna Plantations are about 20-30 different buildings of only 4 units each dotted around a very large piece of property. The grounds are basic but well maintained.

Try www.pleasantholidays.com and they have pictures/virtual tours of many properties.

Old Sep 18th, 2002, 07:39 AM
hm

I just wrote up a HUGE response. Guess I wrote too long.

Anyway, I'd choose the Hyatt (although I haven't been to Hanalei Bay Resort) over the Princeville although it's a close call.

Hyatt:
Pros
Amazing Pool
Beautiful Hawaiian open air feel
Perfect weather (for us anyway)

Cons
Waves too big on beach (beautiful beach, you just don't see too many people using it)
Drinks at pool in plastic cups combined with required plastic bracelet for waterslide use give clientele a too casual feel

Princeville
Pros
Beautiful setting
Close to North Shore sites and beaches

Cons
Feels like Grandmas House
Highway robbery for various activities ($25 for snorkle set - yikes, expensive drinks)
More rain?

We loved being close to the North Shore beaches, but the beautiful location of the Princeville couldn't overcome the too-stuffy interior (marble dripping with gold leaf) and less reliable weather.

We also stayed at the Four Seasons Wailea and we'd be happy to report on that.

Old Sep 18th, 2002, 08:58 AM
Lorraine

Princeville is beautiful but the last time we were there it rained for 10 days straight- and not a passing shower where you could hide under an umbrella for 10 minutes. It was monsooning and other people who stayed at the resort rented cars to drive to the sunnyside of the island. If you are sun-worshippers like my family is, this is not the place to go to. Otherwise, the Princeville is beautiful-the service is excellent, the food is delicious. Except for the weather, its fantastic!!

Old Sep 18th, 2002, 09:18 AM
sd

We split time between the Princeville and the Hyatt in February. Princeville is much nicer than the Hanalei Bay Resort and didn't want to stay in a condo at the time. (Kihanu Plantation). I prefer the Princeville (way more scenic, better service, more isolated feel) although the pool is nowhere near as nice as Hyatt but you can't snorkel off the Hyatt and you can off Princeville. It rained once for four hours in the daytime and maybe a couple of times when we were asleep. All the rooms at Princeville have a great stunning view - even the lowly mountain view room (Starwood Points freebie) we were in overlooked Hanalei Bay where 20 foot breakers could easily be seen. The rooms at Princeville are a couple of notches above the Hyatt. Well appointed, larger and more comfortable. At the Hyatt only the Oceanfront rooms have good views and the good ones are usually taken- my room had a mildew smell which is also very common for this hotel for some reason. BTW - You can't walk to restaurants easily from any of the properties you mentioned.

Old Sep 18th, 2002, 02:15 PM
CoachBoy

Just came back from Princeville - first time on Kauai. While the public area is not very Hawaiian in feeling, the views (from room) and pool/beach area are so spectacular I can't wait to return. Amazing beaches along North Shore. Close to Hanalei, a funky town with decent cheap eats (bubbas). Good snorkeling right off hotel, and tunnels nearby.

It really feels like your 3000 miles from home.

Amazing.

CoachBoy