Keystone vs. Steamboat Springs for snowboarding

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28th, 2004, 04:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Amy comments re: altitude sickness? What do you do here if you're not on the slopes?
Do you need a rental car?
Old Nov 28th, 2004, 04:15 AM
Original Poster

sorry wrong forum. I'm new to this.
Old Nov 28th, 2004, 04:16 AM
Original Poster

sorry wrong forum
Old Nov 28th, 2004, 04:31 AM
Original Poster

Is there more for a non-slopes person to do at Keystone vs. Steamboat? Or Breckenridge? Are all snowboarder friendly? Also, are you more likely to suffer with altitude sickness if you have asthma? Any suggestions for a condo for 6 with indoor pool or other shared activity rooms the teens would enjoy or is there plenty to do in the town/village? Thanks so much for your help and your patience with first time traveler and forum participant.
Old Nov 28th, 2004, 06:34 AM

We've spent time in Frisco twice during the summer. So I know there's plenty of non-slope activity in Summit County. Lots of restaurants, shops, etc. Both times we stayed in a condo we rented through Americana Properties. So, if you decide on that area, you might want to try them. My brothers have told me they don't think Americana handles as many rentals as they used to. However, it's a place to start.
Old Nov 28th, 2004, 06:56 AM

We've only been to Keystone a few times, but have always found icy conditions.

You'll be less likely to have altitude problems at Steamboat, as the base is over 2000 feet lower than Summitt County.
Old Nov 28th, 2004, 10:39 AM

Keystone is great. There is a free bus system that takes you from condo or hotel to the slopes or around town, so no need for a rental car, although transportation from the airport is pricy. My family skis, but I don't. I found plenty of other things to do. Sledding, tubing, skating. It's a fun place! Enjoy!!
Old Nov 29th, 2004, 08:34 AM
MaureenB

Keystone and Steamboat Springs are two completely different places in terms of atmosphere. Both would be good for snowboarding and finding things to do other than skiing. Keystone was created about 25 years ago by Ralston-Purina, while Steamboat sits in ranch country and has more Colorado's 'wild west' attitude. It depends on your preference.

Old Nov 29th, 2004, 09:22 AM

Eric and Alex, Keystone has a great terrain Park for Snowboarding. As others said though they are very different places. As to icy well I ski Keystone most weekends and the grooming there is excellent even with less snow they often have better conditions. Yes certain runs get overused and then become icy, Mozart for instance. We avoid Mozart and take Diamond Back. Same with the blue run on the Outback. Avoid those and you will find good snow. As to nonskiing I'd say ageing Keystone. Ice skating on the biggest outdoor maintained rink in the US, tubing, shopping. I do love Steamboat but you might find yourselves of flat runouts that can get frustrating for boarders.
Old Nov 29th, 2004, 09:24 AM

oops meant to say "As to nonskiing I'd say again Keystone" I am the one that is ageing.
Old Nov 29th, 2004, 11:56 AM

My family loves Steamboat Springs; we go for a long weekend once a year, though the rest of the ski season, we ski in Summit Co. (mostly Breck and Vail).

I ski downhill only, so can't give you any advice on the snowboarding specifically.

Generally, Keystone is more of a "front-range" destination for Denver-area skiiers, in addition to those from farther away. So it'll be busier on the weekends. Steamboat Springs is farther away, so it's usually a little less crowded. Definitely more of an out-west feel. You can get by without a car in either place, though having a car would make some activities easier.

Keystone: It can be icey sometimes, and I feel like the resort hasn't spent as much on upkeep, but that's only my opinion. There's not a real town in Keystone, though the resort has been built up, with stores and restaurants, and shuttle bus flow throughout the resort, as well as less frequently to other destinations in Summit Co. One big advantage to Keystone is that other resorts are close by: Winter Park, Arapahoe Basin, Breckenridge and Vail.

Steamboat: They really do have champagne powder, so if you like to ski on the stuff, get to Steamboat. The resort is outside the town, so there are some restaurants and stores at the resort, and more in town. You can do without a rental car here, too; most condos have vans that can take guests wherever they need to go.

We stay at Trappeur's Crossing in Steamboat. Nicely maintained; helpful staff; close to ski slopes. There are hot tubs and an indoor-outdoor pool.

Both places have lots of other stuff to do: sledding, cross-country skiing, sleigh rides, snowmobiling, snowshowing. I can't remember seeing ice skating in Steamboat, but there are hot springs in Steamboat (lots of fun), which Keystone doesn't have.

I don't know that altitude sickness is affected by asthma; I wouldn't think it is.

You'll have a great time in either location.
Old Nov 29th, 2004, 12:41 PM

Check out epicski.com for more specific info on skiing locations.
Old Dec 6th, 2004, 05:51 PM

As a "non-skier", I prefer Breckenridge, but it depends on what the "non-skiers" in your group want to do. Breckenridge has a nice town, for shopping or browsing as I do. There is also a rec center with pool, etc. I would talk to your Dr. about traveling to higher altitudes with asthma. Only he or she knows your condition.