Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Ski trip to Breckenridge: Which area to look for condos?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26th, 2013, 09:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our only ski experience has been at Copper Mountain. While we enjoyed it a lot, we are looking for something with a bit more choice of extra-ski activities. Breck seems to fit the criteria, as well as having lots of beginner runs.

First, do you agree with that assumption?

Secondly, would like your recommendations for which area of the resort would be the best for a VRBO condo. Looking for 2Br2Ba, ideally walk to ski school/ski rental. Nothing fancy, don't need hot tubs,etc.

If you have a specific condo recommendation, even better.

Thanks
Cheryl
Old Oct 26th, 2013, 10:02 AM

We like to stay at The Village at Breckenridge--a very short walk to a lift and to Main St.
Old Oct 26th, 2013, 06:52 PM
Original Poster

abram, any specific recommendations in The Village?
Old Oct 26th, 2013, 07:09 PM

That's a condo complex--I couldn't recommend a specific condo because there are only 2 of us, so we rent a smaller unit.
Old Oct 27th, 2013, 06:46 AM

There are a lot of choices in Breckenridge. Breck has an excellent bus system that will get you around even if not close to a lift. Four o'clock run from Peak 8 to downtown has an enormous number of condo located along the run. Very convenient for skiing in at end of day. Less convenient for ski out in the AM but handy. Second area would be along the Snowflake lift. Generally the VRBO description will tell how easy it is for ski in and out.

Breck is a much larger area than Copper with a real, old, mining town at the base and a wide range of restaurants. Breck just open Peak 6 but it probably is beyond your skill level. First major expansion in years. Save it for next year.
Old Oct 27th, 2013, 06:49 AM

PS. Send me the VRBO number and I should be able to tell you have convenient it is to a lift.
Old Oct 27th, 2013, 04:59 PM

Our family (from Colorado) loves Breck. I can't really compare it to Copper but as a nonskier I like having more of a town.

I booked a condo for Breck last week through a property manager. On their website & others I looked at there were maps of where the different complexes are which may help you. This was skivillagelodging.com, under the Breckenridge tab.

Some of your decision depends on how much you want to spend. The Village may cost more than some but is in a great location, very close to the ski school & lifts. I think most of the 2 BRs in the Village will be similar but check out how many beds there are. For our family, this is a big issue as we have adult children who don't want to sleep in a queen bed togethor. The Village Chateaux units may be smaller?

There are many options. For us being closer to town is a draw. At least for me, the nonskiier.

If I can help anymore let me know. We do have our favorite restaurants & would gladly share those. We have been going to Breck for 30+ years.
Old Oct 28th, 2013, 05:34 AM

It might matter when you are going. We went to Breck a few/several years ago over Thanksgiving only to find that ski school and skiing had been shifted to Peak 8, until there was more snow and more demand. They were really trying to open the Breck Connect gondola and properties on that side of the mountain.

(IMHO Peak 8 is awful: It's uphill or down or up stairs to accomplish anything, which is always fun in bulky ski boots.)
Old Oct 28th, 2013, 05:37 AM

Back to your question: there is no right place to stay. I usually try to find a place not too far from downtown or from a lift, so we can walk to both. The Villages (mentioned) meet that requirement, but there are hundreds of condos that also do.

I have used Summit Mountain Rentals for probably 10+ years to find lodging in Breck. (Just an endorsement, not and advertisement). Please note that not all condo units in the same building are the same quality. Depends on what effort the owner has put into the unit.
Old Oct 28th, 2013, 11:12 AM

Not sure I understand the complaint about Peak 8. Peak 8 is the original base for Breckenridge but is pretty flat around the lift areas so I don't understand the comment about being up or down hill. With the gondola from the parking lot ending at Peak 8, the area has been substantially reworked. The restrooms are down some stairs but restrooms are always downstairs. That is one of the basic rules of skiing.

The principle ski school area is at the base of Peak 9 but Peak 8N also has a ski school. Thanksgiving is always a little light so it doesn't surprise me that only one ski school area is working.
Old Oct 28th, 2013, 11:32 AM

Peak 9 area is closer to the post-ski activities. Peak 8 has a truckload of ski-in condos.
Old Oct 28th, 2013, 11:57 AM

fmpdn: Maybe not awful, but if it is still the case, the ski school at peak 8 is a little ways up the hill, and then a bunch of stairs. So if you have kids in the school, it's a bit of pain (particularly for those of us not use to the altitude).

Also, during my last visit, the food was at the Bergenhof (spelling?), which was down and back up the opposite hill. That restaurant has now been closed, so my experience is out of date a bit.
Old Oct 29th, 2013, 05:24 PM

A few years ago we stayed at Mountain Thunder Lodge and booked our condo through VRBO. LOVED the location. We were within walking distance to a lift, the downtown area, and across the street from the transportation center.
Old Nov 7th, 2013, 12:39 PM
Original Poster

Begging for more help, please. Planning a ski trip for the men in my family is like herding cats!

Mr. I've Been Skiing Before and Know More Than You Do wants something ski in/ski out. He is not interested in the bus or walking a block.

Mrs. I Am Paying For This Trip would like it to not break the bank. Like under/around $400/night. Last weekend in Feb. 2 bed/2 bath.
Old Nov 8th, 2013, 06:12 PM

Suggest you look at suggestions above especially where I said to look at a map of complexes and where the ski lifts are.
Old Nov 8th, 2013, 06:24 PM

Or check with one or more of the property managers listed here or others (there are others)& tell them what you want. get estimates from them & pictures. It is not that difficult!
Old Nov 8th, 2013, 08:15 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Betsy! Have given Mr. Ski Maven a list of possibilities from a property manager. Will see what he likes.
Old Nov 10th, 2013, 02:20 PM

OK, you need to explain to Mr. Know It All that Breckenridge is not the best choice for ski in/out lodging. Snowmass is the best for ski in/out as it was designed for that from the ground up.

Go to:

http://www.breckenridge.com/~/media/...ILMAP_web.ashx

Hit the zoom button on top to about 400%. Scroll to the middle bottom. Anything along the lower end of the Snowflake lift (red - and before the bend) will be ski in and out. That is about it.

Looks at Four O'clock run (green) all of the condos will have ski in but no access to a lift to ski out. You ski down to the bottom and catch a bus to Peak 9.

Look on the left side of the map, above the Peak 9 symbol, is Double Tree by Hilton Breckenridge. Anything allow that road is convenient but you do have to walk across the road but from there you can ski to the 12pack chair (loads 12 at a time) at the bottom of Peak 9.

Also at the bottom of 9 you can see the location for the Village at Breckenridge. That is a very convenient condo to use and I would recommend it as has others.

Breckenridge is a great mountain. Really looking forward to seeing what the new peak 6 will look like. Lots of blue and access to the black bowls.

Good luck --
Old Nov 11th, 2013, 06:06 AM

Regarding 4 oclock run, there is the snowflake lift which would be across the street or very nearby many condos. Not "ski out" but not inconvenient.
Old Nov 11th, 2013, 06:23 AM

Don't understand Bitter's comments about Snowflake lift and 4 oclock run - they are not close together or across the street. The lower end of Snowflake and around Shock Hill station on BreckConnect (gondola from parking lot to Peak 8) are the only true ski in/out in the Breakinridge area. However, did forget to mention that there is a whole new development of condos at Peak 7 base which would ski in/out since the condo at the base of Peak 7. Have no first hand experience with condos at Peak 7. But Peak 7 is a nice place to start the day with easily warm up on gentle rolling slope.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -