Reload this Page >

Key West with two kids in late August?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13th, 2001, 06:15 AM
Joe

At the end of August my family of 4 ( 13 and 10 yr old kids) we are thinking of going to Key West. We’re travel adventurers and think it would be fun to fly from Boston to Ft. Lauderdale, then rent a convertible to drive to Key West. Once we get there we expect the weather to be sunny and hot and the people to be off beat and friendly. Our aim is to enjoy the island atmosphere, especially the water sports. We are looking at two hotels for 7 nights on Smathers Beach; The Wyndham Casa Marina at $139 per night and the Sheraton Suites @ $155. What would you do and these good off season deals? How much should we expect to pay for some not too serious fishing and snorkeling? Besides the sunset and sunrise is there anything we shouldn’t miss. At this time of year will the weather cooperate?

Old Jul 13th, 2001, 05:41 PM
grglnswsh

Both deals sound fair but keep in mind you are staying in "New Town" and not "Old Town", where all of the attractions are. You will need some means of transporation to get from either hotel, especially the Sheraton. It is the farthest from it all. The Casa is right on the edge so you could walk but it would be a long one. Both are great for families but I would prefer the Sheraton over the Casa. Overall it is a nicer place. There is a lot to see and do here. Pull up keywest.com to get a feel for things. You will have all kinds of options for fishing but for something not too serious try Capt Johns Greyhound. It is a head boat and for a half day of fishing it is around 23 a person which includes evrything. Everybody will catch something. For snorkling try Floridays. It is the best. The weather will be hot and humid and it is not unusual for it to rain everyday for a few minutes

Old Jul 15th, 2001, 09:59 AM
Linda

I would much rather stay in the old section. That is where all the activity is.

Old Jul 15th, 2001, 11:18 AM
curious

Joe,
Where did you get a rate of $135 for the Casa Marina? From what I've read and seen it is much nicer than the Sheraton and in a better location. By the way, I saw the Sheraton Suites for $ 129 on Expedia and Hoteldiscount.com. (for November) The lowest rate I could find for Casa Marina was $ 159. Thankd for the info!

Old Jul 15th, 2001, 01:08 PM
grglnswsh

The Sheraton is a step above the Casa. It is a cleaner, nicer, and I think smaller hotel. The Casa is closer to the action but it is one of the older hotels on the island and is a little worn looking in areas.

Old Jul 15th, 2001, 07:00 PM
Celeste

My vote also goes to the Sheraton as long as you realize how far you are from Duval Street and all the activities. But you should also be aware that Smathers Beach, across the street from the Sheraton, is not much of a beach by Florida standards - just sand covering hard coral rock as cars whiz by behind you. Key West is a great place but don't go there for beaches!

Old Jul 19th, 2001, 03:47 PM
mike

given a choice of the two, the casa is far and away a more desirable location. the sheraton is located across the street from smathers whereas the casa has it's own private beach plus large grounds with a couple of pools. we sneak in there all the time to swim

Old Jul 19th, 2001, 05:01 PM
jennifer

I really think the casa marina would be best with kids. I have taken my 11year old son a few times, and we bicycle to every thing anyway. He loves the pool there and you are not as far away as the sheraton. If you want to do an all day snorkel boat trip, it usually runs 40-60$. I would recommend the sebago, "island ting" trip. You snorkel at two reefs and kayak. Don't miss the shipwreck museum. Have fun!!!

Old Jul 20th, 2001, 02:31 PM
Poster!

I disagree with the statement made by Grglnswsh about the Sheraton is a step above the Casa! This is a very nice place with its own private beach & many water activities. It may be a little walk to Duval St. but you got time on your hands to do that. Try an oceanside suite & sit back & enjoy!If you have kids, they will enjoy themselves. We have been going there for years now & is one of the oldest resorts in Key West & by far one of the best!