Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Florida for two weeks with children aged 8-16. Itinerary.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23rd, 2013, 12:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all.

I have read a lot of very useful advice from different topics but none matches me exactly and just wondered if anyone can help please.

We are travelling to Florida 18th July for two weeks (I know it's peak season and school holidays but there are many different reasons I won't bore you with that mean this is the only time we can go). We have four children ages 16, 15, 11 and 8 so all wanting different things. I like the beach and shopping, my husband likes not spending more than we need to, the kids like theme parks and seeing all over. We have 8 days planned in Orlando (theme parks and the swimming with dolphins!)
We would like to see a bit more of Florida as we don't know when we will be able to get back (the last time was 1999). We are thinking of spending a two or three days in Miami or possibly one/two in Miami and one in Key West and then a couple in either Naples/Sarasota or Clearwater.

Is it worth the drive to Key West for a day? or should we stick to two days in Miami?
Should we bother going south as a lot of driving?
Should we just go to Clearwater to have a few days on the beach?

We don't mind driving. I was thinking of driving either very early morning or late evening so not too hot and then can make the most of the rest of the day. If we do go south then we would take the turnpike and then after the Miami stop we would go on/through Alligator Alley.
I've looked at hotels on different sites so I don't mind sourcing those but any tips of where to avoid or good deals is great.
Any suggestions of itineraries for two weeks with 8 days in Orlando and four kids would be very much welcomed.
Thanks
Old Jan 23rd, 2013, 05:58 PM

July is not peak season for Florida, that would be January through April. Maybe it's crowded in Orlando/Disney but for the rest of the state it is not peak season. I would head over to Siesta Key/Sarasota for your beach time. It's perhaps the nicest beach in Florida and a fun area that your kids should like. There are plenty of condos on the beach for rent that would be suitable for a family of 6 and much better than a hotel.
Old Jan 24th, 2013, 01:53 AM

I agree with the above.

Forget Miami and head west.

Tampa - Busch Gardens for the kids and great nightlife and restaurants for the adults.

Sarasota - wonderful (small) but good size city and Siesta Key beaches. (We live here)
Old Jan 24th, 2013, 10:45 AM
cd

Instead of Miami, how about seeing a little of the Everglades, maybe do an airboat ride, my kids are adults but still remember enjoying that. Then you could head to Siesta Key for some beautiful beach time. I would check with VRBO.com for a condo right on the beach. If you do drive across the state, instead of Alligator Alley take Tamiami Trail: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tamiami_Trail
Old Jan 24th, 2013, 04:23 PM

Are you flying or driving? If flying, are you flying into Orlando?

I also would head over to the Sarasota, Siesta Key---We spent a week last April at Anna Maria Island. Very nice condos on the beach. It would be great for your family.

My first choice in July would probably be somewhere on the the Florida Panhandle. We love all the Beaches on 30A outside of Destin.
Old Jan 25th, 2013, 02:01 AM
Original Poster

Hi
We are flying into Orlando and have a hire car for the two weeks.
Thanks
Old Jan 25th, 2013, 03:04 AM

Some random thoughts.

From Orlando, you can drive to the Space Center for a tour and also, for the kids, stop in Cocoa Beach and walk through Ron's Surf Shop and maybe get a little beach time. I'm not crazy about Cocoa Beach but it's OK for a day, especially with kids and because it's close to the Space Center.

Drive to Key West? Hmmm. I like Key West, but it's a long, slow drive, and I wouldn't call the place kid-friendly, nor are there great beaches there.