Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Key West -- restaurant "itinerary" -- feedback appreciated!!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21st, 2005, 06:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello!

We're heading to Key West later this month and I need some help with restaurant plans. We'll be arriving around 9:00pm on a Thursday evening -- so we want to check in to our B&B and then get some dinner. We're looking for some place casual (and not terribly expensive) for dinner that night -- any suggestions? I had thought about either Two Friends Patio or Mangia Mangia, but after doing a little more research, I'm looking for other options.

For the rest of the weekend, here's our plans:

Friday:
Lunch: Blue Heaven
Dinner: Half Shell Raw Bar

Saturday:
Lunch: Bo's Fish Wagon
Dinner (Anniversary Celebration): Pisces or A&B Lobster Company

Sunday:
Lunch: Stop along drive up to Miami -- any suggestions??

I'd appreciate any and all feedback -- and especially ideas about what to do for dinner that first night. I visited Key West about 10 years ago -- but this is my husband's first time!!

Thanks!
Cindy
Old Jun 21st, 2005, 07:34 PM

I'm not sure how late the Half Shell Raw Bar stays open, but in my opinion it'd be a good place to eat dinner your first night. It's certainly very casual and (by Key West standards) not particularly expensive. Turtle Kraals next door is another good choice.

The food at Two Friends ranges from very good to adequate, so it's hard to recommend. I haven't eaten at Mangia Mangia but it gets very good recommendations.

I know BO's sandwiches get raves, but if your time is limited I wouldn't make any particular effort to eat there. I thought it was okay, but nothing special. As for Blue Heaven, I think it's better for brunch or dinner than lunch.

For a special anniversary dinner (and if money is no object), I'd recommend Louie's Backyard or Michael's, or even the funky - but not romantic - Alice's.
Old Jun 22nd, 2005, 05:09 AM

I think I would head down to the docks after your arrival and pick one of the restaurantas there, as the previous poster stated. There are at least five fairly close together, check out the menus and relax. We've had pretty decent food at the touristy Conch Republic Seafood Company, but I'd avoid the overpriced entrees. Their shrimp baskets are a pretty good deal.

If you do that the first night, you might look at Seven Fish for Friday night. Very small place, not romantic by any means, but great food. If you decide to go there, reservations, probably a couple days in advance, would be good. They have a web site, and the menu is on there.

I think it's time to start planning my next trip to Key West....
Old Jun 22nd, 2005, 06:58 AM

Just back from KW 1.5 weeks ago (sorry, getting to that trip report...)

We did eat at several of the places you are considering.

Two Friends Patio was good, fun atmosphere (they had karaoke the night we were there). Food was better than average but not "foodie" quality IMO. We enjoyed our meal there.

At Rick's Blue Heaven we had a terrible dinner experience. Food took over an hour to come and I was entirely underwhelmed by their dinner menu. Since many on this board have raved over breakfast & lunch there, I'd recommend trying it for one of those meals & skipping their dinner.

Half shell was a late afternoon oysters & beer place for us. After 4pm they have 33 cent oysters. Didn't eat a meal there, but it is very casual, fun place.

Conch Republic is touristy and their menu didn't do anything for me. I also thought their prices were high for the offering. We were stuck there for 2 hours in the downpours from TS Arlene otherwise we'd have gone elsewhere.

Mangia Mangia was very good. Fresh pastas, good service. Nice atmosphere. We sat outside in their patio/garden area.

I'd highly recommend Pepe's (on Caroline) for breakfast...food was excellent & service was good too. Their history is interesting too.

We were sad to miss Louie's, Michael's & Alice's. The friends we were travelling with were not foodies and were challenging in other ways as well. Next time...
Old Jun 28th, 2005, 06:49 PM

For your anniversary...Seven Fish!! It's the best restaurant in KW. Small and romantic...very few tourrists. It's a KW secret. Book now...you'll love it!!
Old Jun 28th, 2005, 07:06 PM

You asked for feedback so here's mine. If there is any place designed for relaxing and going with the flow it's the Keys, including Key West.

What about not planning every meal and minute before you get there?

Choose 1 or 2 places that are "don't miss" and just relax.

Stop in Islamorado on Sunday. Several choices there.

One of my best vacations ever - a long weekend in Key West with rental scooter. Scootered and snorkeled the entire weekend - and ate when and where we were hungry. Spectacular trip!