Key West - Marquesa

Apr 26th, 2006, 01:02 PM
Original Poster

Key West - Marquesa

We are planning to visit Key West for a couple of days in October to celebrate our 10th wedding anniversary. Anyone every stayed at the Marquesa? We are thinking about that place, but are also open to other options. Want someplace romantic, quiet. Willing to splurge.
Apr 26th, 2006, 01:15 PM

Do a search for Marquesa and you will see quite a few posts about it....as well as other people's suggestions. I have never stayed there, but it seems to ba a favorite for many....
Apr 26th, 2006, 01:30 PM
Neopolitan

I'm seen rooms and have eaten dinner there, but not stayed there. In my opinion you couldn't do better.

Apr 26th, 2006, 08:47 PM

I'd like to report that my husband and I had one of our most memorable meals EVER at the Cafe Marquesa. I am sorry not to know much about the hotel/Inn. The meal was wonderful, nice atmosphere - truly must be in the top two or three places to eat on Key West! (I'sd like to hear more about the hotel - so report back, OK) We have been recommending the Cafe to anyone we know who travels to Key West ever since. I'm glad to hear they are continuing the success, tho' it's not surprising. The chefs were open and affable, too - it's fun to watch the kitchen action.
Apr 27th, 2006, 04:21 AM

I stayed at the Marquesa a couple of years ago -- used it as a home base for my husband's 40th birthday party weekend. It's just what you're looking for.

The rooms are beautifully appointed, but they are no match for the absolutely stunning courtyard -- where you'll likely spend much of your time. It's got lush plantings of palms and orchids, two pools (one heated, one not), and fountains. Cell phone use is discouraged in common areas, so you enter an enclave of tranquility. Towels and fresh iced tea await you, as well as a solicitous but unobtrusive staff. Hard to believe you're just a couple blocks off Duval.

Dinner at the restaurant was memorable as well. It's a cozy, intimate spot but not at all stuffy. The food is fantastic and the servers knowledgable and friendly. I can't say enough about it.

We also had friends staying at Heron House, Island City House, Cypress Inn, and Simonton Court (which we checked out). All of them enjoyed where they were staying. If I find the Marquesa unavaliable next time I go to Key West, I would readily choose Simonton Court.
Apr 27th, 2006, 06:09 AM

It is in my opinion the best place to stay in Key West & I've probably been there @ least 10 times. You can't go wrong there.
Apr 27th, 2006, 10:13 AM

(I just posted this somewhere else and the location of the Marquesa on Fleming, reminded me of it)

The post about renting bikes and getting to know Key West made me think that after you become familiar with Duval Street, then Simonton and Whitehead, there are three or four cross streets that become your friends.

Greene Street for Crabby Bills (Big Daddy Conchs), Last Flight Out http://www.lastflightoutkeywest.com/pages/6/index.htm, and if you need it the Thai Restraunt. And you can seak into Sloppy Joe's little bar.

Petronia, on the Whitehead side for Blue Heaven at Thomas, then Santiago's Bodega at Chapman Lane. The Bahama Vilage, Besame Mucho, etc. And on the other side, if you walked around the cemetary, there was Louie's Cantena, a good Cuban place. Is it still there?

Caroline for Pepes and B.O.s Fishwagon and because it leads you to the Bight.
Front Street for the Sunset Cafe, Two Friends and at Wall Street, El Meson de Pepe and the Mallory Docks.

And you are a few blocks from a relatively new place called Sarabeths, just down Simonton, that looks good for Breakfast, lunch or dinner.

Pjk
Apr 27th, 2006, 11:00 AM

The Marquesa is wonderful. Stay there, no reason to consider elsewhere!
May 1st, 2006, 07:51 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the input, everyone. We plan to book our stay at the Marquesa today.