KEY WEST/ MARATHON BLD suggestions

Mar 20th, 2006, 03:48 PM
Original Poster

KEY WEST/ MARATHON BLD suggestions

Family of 5 (children 18,17 and 14)will be in Key West for two days in April and Marathon for 1 week. Any breakfast, lunch and/or dinner suggestions??
Thank you!
Mar 20th, 2006, 03:55 PM
Original Poster

I also want to add that if you have any ideas on good activities to do in these places, please let me know (remembering the ages of the kids).
Mar 20th, 2006, 04:35 PM

While in Marathon, visit the Dolphin Research Center at Grassy Key; snorkel at Looe Key in the morning/spend the afternoon at Bahia Honda; go to Robbies (mm 77) and feed the wild tarpon. You could also rent kayaks there. Have a great time!
Mar 21st, 2006, 12:12 AM

It's too bad your time allocation isn't reversed. There's plenty to do in Key West for a week, but not a lot in Marathon.

The latter does have Sombrero Beach, an oft-overlooked park (except by the locals, of course,) that I think is a little Keys jewel.
Mar 21st, 2006, 01:44 AM
Original Poster

We have a condo for a week in Marathon, that's why we will be there for a week. We have a car though, so I'm sure we will be moving around. Thanks for the info!
Mar 21st, 2006, 09:18 AM
Original Poster

Any good restaurants for breakfast, lunch or dinner? Coffe shops with pastry or bagels?
Best super market?
Mar 21st, 2006, 09:32 AM

There is a nice coffee shop in Marathon called Mrs. Macs or something like that (my mind just went blank). It's easy to find because it has a big coffee cup as its sign and it is in a key west-style house with a porch. Fresh baked pastries, nice lunches. I've had dinner at the tiki bar and it was not bad. Lunch at the cracked conch, while it has no real atmosphere, was a good fish sandwich. I think my pregnancy is taking over my brain, but I ate twice at a small local placed called something fisheries that locals recommended and it was good. People are very friendly down there - ask and they are more than willing to tell you where the places are good and the fish is fresh. I was doing some work down there so I didn't have time for any activities. I would imagine that your children would like a charter fishing trip of which there are many outfitters in Marathon, one well-known one right next to the fisheries restaurant.
Mar 21st, 2006, 09:55 AM
Original Poster

Thanks amcc...can't wait for the coffee and pastry shop! Too bad I'm not a fish eater..talk about a fish out of water! Not worried about it though.
Mar 21st, 2006, 11:00 AM

Try the STUFFED PIG, MM 48 3520 Overseas Highway in Marathon. It's a little hole in the wall place with a lot of local color - wonderful for breakfast.

Mar 21st, 2006, 11:02 AM

Blue Heaven in Key West for breakfast!!!