Reload this Page >

Key West in late October

Search

Key West in late October

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29th, 1997, 02:07 PM
joann

Key West in late October

Can anyone tell me about Key West? My husband and I are looking to go in the fall for a 4 day weekend. Plan to fly into Miami and drive down from there. We're looking for a relaxed vacation. Nothing hectic. Is this a good place for that. Any suggestions?

Old Jun 30th, 1997, 05:03 PM
sharon

Please check the dates to go to Key West because in late October they usually have Fantasy Fest which is a wild, nothing held back drinking and anything goes party...it is also a very gay event which can be lots of fun if this does not bother you. It could be the antithesis of a romantic weekend for a married heterosexual couple however depending on your point of view. There is a very quiet resort accessible only by boat closer to Marathon than Key West called Palm Island. Very luxurious, very quiet, very romantic, very expensive...you also might try the Cheeca resort in Islamorada....hope I spelled it right. We love the keys and stay at a funky resort called Faro Blanco in Marathon which has a room in a lighthouse which is sort of fun. This is not a luxury resort however.

Old Jun 30th, 1997, 05:03 PM
sharon

Please check the dates to go to Key West because in late October they usually have Fantasy Fest which is a wild, nothing held back drinking and anything goes party...it is also a very gay event which can be lots of fun if this does not bother you. It could be the antithesis of a romantic weekend for a married heterosexual couple however depending on your point of view. There is a very quiet resort accessible only by boat closer to Marathon than Key West called Palm Island. Very luxurious, very quiet, very romantic, very expensive...you also might try the Cheeca resort in Islamorada....hope I spelled it right. We love the keys and stay at a funky resort called Faro Blanco in Marathon which has a room in a lighthouse which is sort of fun. This is not a luxury resort however.

Old Jul 8th, 1997, 02:36 PM
TERI

I've been to Key West at least 30 times since 1991...I stay at the Eden House which provides
very economical guestrooms as well as suites. October has the Fantasy Fest as mentioned above..and yup..it's wild! Very memorable if you're a party person. Most accomdations require 3/4 day miniumum during that time. I wouldn't drive down from Miami, unless you're planning to spend some time in Miami doing the sites..It's such a LONG trip! I usually fly into Miami or Orlando and take the commuter airlines (DL, US, AA) to Key West....much nicer!

Depending on your age and interests...Two Friends is a nice lounge/restaurant to frequent. Soft, jazzy music. The Piano Bar at the Pier House is one of my favorite places. The best italian food would be Manja Manja (sp) on Fleming Street. Don't need to rent a car either! Take a cab to your hotel/B&B. Walking everywhere is the right thing to do!!! Stay in Old Town only!

Say hi to George for me!

Old Jul 8th, 1997, 02:37 PM
TERI

I've been to Key West at least 30 times since 1991...I stay at the Eden House which provides
very economical guestrooms as well as suites. October has the Fantasy Fest as mentioned above..and yup..it's wild! Very memorable if you're a party person. Most accomdations require 3/4 day miniumum during that time. I wouldn't drive down from Miami, unless you're planning to spend some time in Miami doing the sites..It's such a LONG trip! I usually fly into Miami or Orlando and take the commuter airlines (DL, US, AA) to Key West....much nicer!

Depending on your age and interests...Two Friends is a nice lounge/restaurant to frequent. Soft, jazzy music. The Piano Bar at the Pier House is one of my favorite places. The best italian food would be Manja Manja (sp) on Fleming Street. Don't need to rent a car either! Take a cab to your hotel/B&B. Walking everywhere is the right thing to do!!! Stay in Old Town only!

Say hi to George for me!

Old Jul 21st, 1997, 06:24 PM
Travis

Joann:

Do yourself a favor, fly all the way to KeyWest! I've driven it several times and as pretty as it is, the flight from Miami down there is just as beautiful, and faster. Flights from any destination are only about $30-$50 more all the way to Key West. American is running a $287 r.t. from Dallas, and I'll be there mid-Oct. Trust me, fly in!!!!