Search

Key West Hotels

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29th, 2006, 11:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Key West Hotels

Hi I am spending a special weekend with my husband in Key West mid Dec. I am considering staying at either the Ocean Key Resort or the Westin Key West...great location for both...how are the rooms and the service? Are they newly renovaed or is there renovation going on? Also can anyone suggest a great place for dinner? Thank you.
Old Nov 30th, 2006, 05:43 AM

I would choose the Ocean Key simply because the Westin directly faces where the cruise ships dock. So that would essentially be your view much of the time. For a special weekend, I (personally) would explore one of the smaller Inns or B & B's on the island, The Heron House or Marquesa would top that list.
Old Nov 30th, 2006, 12:25 PM

Between the Ocean Key and Westin I'd definitely choose the OK because the Westin just changed hands and isn't getting great reviews yet. And as SAnParis mentions, cruise ships dock right in front of the Westin. It's been several years since we stayed at the Ocean Key, but we had a junior suite with two balconys and it was lovely. The hottest place to stay in Key West now seems to be the Gardens Hotel. It's not on the water but it's getting fabulous reviews from virtually everyone. If you badly want a water view, there are a couple of other options in addition to the Westin and Ocean Key. Next door to the Ocean Key is the Pier House. It's got a really good restaurant and very pretty grounds. On the less positive side, lots of the rooms overlook a parking lot and the ones with water views are pricey. Next to the Pier House is the Hyatt Resort and Marina, which is currently undergoing renovations. If you could secure a room that's completed, it's a nice hotel, too.

Special occasion restaurants are: Louie's Backyard - beautiful view on the Atlantic and great food; Michael's - tucked away behind a gate and hedges in Old Town (ask for an outside table); Hot Tin Roof beautiful view of the water at the Ocean Key, though my personal experience with the food hasn't been spectacular. Personally, I love Alice's on Duval, but I don't think it would fall into the romantic category if that's what you're looking for.
Old Nov 30th, 2006, 12:43 PM

I'm a big fan of the Pier House at 1 Duval.

wwww.pierhouse.com

It has a small private beach that is a lot of fun, and great food & drinks right there on the beach!

Old Dec 5th, 2006, 07:47 AM

I'd throw in Pisces as a romantic dinner destination (I just went there for our engagement dinner!). Yes it's expensive, but it's very quaint, romantic, classy and excellent fine dining. I was surprised to find it in Key West. The Andy Warhol paintings (all originals) add to the feeling of being somewhere special and even "hip".
Old Dec 5th, 2006, 08:51 AM

Dont miss Blue Heaven. Excellent food and unique.