Key West Hotel Choices for One Night Stay

Feb 8th, 2010, 07:03 PM
Original Poster

Key West Hotel Choices for One Night Stay

Okay, I have our rooms booked in Miami and now I want to book one night for our short tour of the Keys, overnighting in Key West. On my shortlist are the Key Lime Inn, Hyatt Sunset Harbor or Orchid Key West Inn. Your thoughts are welcome.
Feb 9th, 2010, 06:28 AM

We just returned from our first trip to Key West and had a great time. We stayed at Southernmost on the Beach which was the perfect stay for us - it was right on the water (we booked a balcony room), a walk to Duval and all the action but still on the quiet side (which is what we prefer) but still convenient to everything.

I haven't stayed at any of the hotels you mention but wanted to say - Have a great trip! We really enjoyed Key West and had a great time.
Feb 9th, 2010, 06:39 AM

We stayed at the Chelsea House which is next door to the Key Lime Inn (new name) and I recommend this as your best option.... the Hyatt is too chainy for Key West and the Orchid Key is too Motelly... for the real flavor of Key West, stay at a restored Inn... the charm of the Island is mostly gone but a bit of it has stayed in these old residential restorations... others include Marquesa House and the Gardens Hotel...
Feb 9th, 2010, 06:41 AM

Hyatt Sunset Harbor is great if thre is availability! Hyatt has several locations there - all top hotels.
Feb 9th, 2010, 07:24 AM

There's someone who posts on tripadvisor.com who stayed in the newly refurbished Orchid Key Inn and raved about it. This person is in the hotel business and always gives excellent reviews (both good and bad).

Apparently there's not much left of the old Orchid Key Inn but the sign. I'd advise you to give it a shot.
Feb 9th, 2010, 01:40 PM

A remodeled Motel is still a motel... if you check the Orchid Key web site, its quite nicely remodeled, but there seems to be little of the charm found in a historic remodel... Old Key West is disappearing and sadly the shell of KW is a bad amusement park.... RIP
Feb 10th, 2010, 01:48 AM

Try the Tropical Inn. It's right on Duval Street (you can walk to everything). It's a beautifully restored historic house and cottages surrounding an incredible tropical garden. In spite of its location, it is quiet. It's a family business, so you get personal attention. You'll find the "old Key West" alive and well there.
Feb 15th, 2010, 07:58 AM
Original Poster

I should mention I am travelling with my adult daughter so we are looking for a double room, which most of the B&B's (inc. the Key LIme Inn, I have discovered) don't seem to have. Orchid Inn and Hyatt are booked for the date we will be there. We want to be near Duval, have a pool and stay under $300. Any other suggestions?
Feb 15th, 2010, 10:48 AM

Have you tried the Best Western Hibiscus? I'm not sure of the exact rates, but it gets exceptionally good reviews and is on Simonton, just a block from Duval.
Feb 16th, 2010, 06:30 AM

The Ocean Key at the foot of Duval has double rooms and is more of a traditional hotel... great location, but I'm not sure of rates.......