Search

Key West Hotel

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21st, 2001, 10:42 AM
Linda

Key West Hotel

Staying at Key West's Travel Lodge in March....any opinions on this hotel?
Thanks

Old Jan 21st, 2001, 10:57 AM
Owen O'Neill

I'm not familar with it but if it's like many other of the major chain hotels in KW it's a bit of a distance from Duval Street and the "action". There are many good guesthouses in KW that compete in price with the hotels/motels but are much more conveniently located in Old Town.

Old Jan 21st, 2001, 12:28 PM
susan

Like Owen says, this hotel is pretty inconveniently located. It's on Roosevelt Road in the midst of a strip shopping mall area and is definitely not within walking distance of any tourist activities. If you can possibly find a place to stay in Old Town I think you'd be much happier. That's where all the sunset activities, most of the restaurants, and most of the tourist attractions are.

Old Jan 21st, 2001, 12:39 PM
Linda

Thanks for your replies. I am more concerned with the quality of the hotel than location...We are not partiers but just looking for a nice, relaxing place to stay. However, I am sure we will want to go to Duval St., etc at some point. How is parking?
Thanks

Old Jan 22nd, 2001, 12:27 PM
CG

PARKING IN OLD TOWN STINKS. IT'S A 1.50 AN HOUR IF YOU CAN FIND A SPOT. MUCH NICER TO STAY IN OLD TOWN, THERE ARE PLACES THAT AREN'T IN THE MIDDLE OF IT ALL. WE STAYED AT THE SOUTHERNMOST LAST YEAR WITH OUR 6 YR OLD. IT WAS VERY NICE, JUST GOT A BIT OF A SHOCK WHEN WE SAW THE BOWL OF CONDOMS BY THE POOL BAR. BUT THAT JUST GOES WITH THE TERRITORY. RENT A SCOOTER, IT'S A MUST. HAVE FUN

Old Jan 22nd, 2001, 01:26 PM
Owen O'Neill

There are plenty of quality guesthouses in Old Town that will be competitive with if not cheaper than the Travel Lodge in addition to having much nicer atmosphere and far more convenient location. yes, parkign is a big prblem but if you stay at a facility that offers parking (as many do) you won't need your car for the entire weekend. I don't question the veracity of the previous poster's remarks about "a bowl of condoms" out in plain view but that sort of thing is far from typical. There are a few guesthouses that cater to "adult lifestyles" and also some that market themselves specifically to lesbian and gay travelers but these establishments generally make that very clear in their advertising and websites. Just curious - what rate have you been quoted for the Travel Lodge? I visited KW in July 98 and am returning this Feb. I've done plenty of research on rates and quality of facilities - i can essily tell you if the price you're getting is cheap enough to justify staying out there (I suspect that it's not).

Old Jan 22nd, 2001, 02:27 PM
Gary

We stayed at Island City House in June of last year. A beautiful quaint complex of 3 old inns (about twenty some rooms in all) with a lovely pool. It catered to families and had a great continental breakfast each morning. It is in walking distance to Duval. The web address is islandcityhouse.com Let me know if you have more questions.

Old Jan 22nd, 2001, 02:33 PM
Linda

We are paying about $160 a night through a package deal with expedia.com. They rated it as 4 stars, and it was one of the least expensive ones(of what they listed). It also appears to be close to the water. At this point I don't think we'll be changing any reservations, but thanks for all your input.
Anyone stayed there?

Old Jan 23rd, 2001, 12:12 PM
Annie

Just in case you change your mind--you won't feel like you're in Key West at the Travel Lodge--if I recall, its in the midst of strip malls.

I stated at Lazy Lane Cottages. We had a one bedroom apartment with a full kitchen and a private hot tub on a small balcony. No pool, however. It was $700 for 7 nights in June ($800 in the high season, I think). It was very quiet, and we were just about 2 blocks off Duval Street. We weren't looking to party, either, and this was a perfect place to relax and explore. You really do not want to drive around there. It's impossible to park.