Search

Key West Dining

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11th, 2004, 04:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Key West Dining

I am looking for great restraunts in Key West for my husband and I. We are having a long weekend without the kids!!
Old Jan 11th, 2004, 05:46 PM

Try Louie's Backyard.

If you read some of the posts on this and other boards, you will occassionaly find a bit of disappointment with Louie's, but I think it has to do with the challenge of living up to a very strong reputation. We had dinner there about a year ago and were not disappointed.

Great food, great view.
Old Jan 11th, 2004, 05:50 PM

Our favorite place is Alice's at La Te Da, 1125 Duval Street, (305) 296-6706 (As described in one revies: NY Times rated "Spot For Season 2003". James Beard Recognized Chef Alice Weingarten. The place for Fabulous Food and Fun Times.)

We also enjoy Louise's Backyard, 700 Waddell Avenue, (305) 294-1061. (Louie's Backyard is, without question, the most famous restaurant in Key West, with good reason. Famous throughout the world as the 'quintessential' caribbean experience, Louie's is situated in a historic old 'conch' home, right on the Atlantic Ocean. Lovely. Delicious. Unforgettable.)

Our favorite site in Key West was touring Hemmingway's House.

Woody
Old Jan 12th, 2004, 12:26 AM

There's another board that is excellent for food recommendations. I used it when planning a few of our trips to various places and they've never failed me.

http://www.chowhound.com/main.html

Old Jan 12th, 2004, 01:17 AM
jmv

Pisces is the new name of what used to be Cafe des Artistes. A block or two from Duvall on Simonton about midway down. The food is excellent and so is the service. I'm one of those people who will advise you to go for drinks on the deck at Louie's but go elsewhere for food. We each have our own experiences. Three other excellent places are: the Catch, a sort of new age fish place in a restored church also on Simonton, 7 Fish, probably the best fish on the island, hard to get reservations since it's small, sort of neighborhood like place where food takes precedence over ambiance which is nice but barebones, Cafe Sole a French wth a Caribbean touch place and a chef who really takes cooking seriously. The hogfish is fantastic. It's tucked away in a residential area not far from the cemetary. Worth searching out. If you're near Mallory Square to watch the sunset, try Bagatelle on Duval. It gets mixed reviews but I've had good food there and it's nice to sit on the porch and watch the Duval traffic go by. I would also guess that the food at the Marquesa hotel would be pretty good. The hotel looks terrific and the dining room is quite genteel. Enjoy your weekend.
Old Jan 12th, 2004, 03:23 AM
jd

We were in Key West last month, and Louie's was fantastic-best meal we had there. Our 2nd favorite was Alices. Also, for lunch, try Ricks Blue Heaven-food was really good(if you don't mind chickens running around the tables!)
Old Jan 12th, 2004, 05:12 AM

Great suggestions for fine dining in Key West. Let me add a couple more casual spots. El Siboney for Cuban, I think it's on Catherine, out of the way enough that you probably won't just wander by, but easily walkable. The bread is awesome and everything else we've had there is good too, as well as cheap. More of a diner atmosphere.

More huge, and very tasty, wraps go to Lobo's Grill, hidden away, just off Duval. They also deliver in Old Town, only open for lunch, close about 6pm.

Also, try at least one of the popular spots down along the docks. People think Conch Republic is terribly touristy, but we've had some decently priced good meals there. Also some very good shriimp at Schooner Wharf (our favorite place for drinks), and overall good food at Half Shell Raw Bar.

Jean
Old Jan 13th, 2004, 01:36 AM

Don't really know if Key West restaurants are "great" as in multiple star rating - but there are many and very good. I really enjoyed Mangia, Mangia - indoor or outdoor dining, has a great pasta dish with scallops.

As mentioned earlier, El Siboney is Cuban and portions are HUGE.
Old Jan 13th, 2004, 08:11 AM

My husband and I were there a year ago and really enjoyed Seven Fish. We hired a rick shaw to take us there and walked back - it was wonderful.

Have a great time!
Old Jan 13th, 2004, 02:11 PM
Original Poster

Thank you! I am looking forward to great fun and food!