Key West Conch Train or Trolley??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5th, 2006, 05:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As many of you have read my previous posts about surprising my DH with a trip to Key West...I gave him the surprise last night and he was floored!!! He is very excited. He showed some interest in the Conch Train or Trolley. What is the difference? Is one better than the other? I really emphasized to him that I would like to do the Tortuga trip. He said maybe. He wants this to be a R&R trip and doesn't want to do anything on a schedule. He did seem interested in the fly-in vs. the ferry to the DT. I guess we will have to wing it! I also mentioned that I wanted to snorkel the reefs once while there. Anyways, 3 weeks from tomorrow we will be KW bound!!!
Old Sep 5th, 2006, 06:32 AM

Congratulations! I hope you have a great time in my favorite vacation destination. We've done the Conch Train and think it's a great way to get an overview of Key West. I haven't done the trolley, so I can't comment on it. It's possible (I can't remember) that both are owned by the same company. I haven't done the Dry Tortugas but have heard the fly-in trip is fabulous. You could go on a half-day trip and not feel that too much time is being taken away from R&R. We snorkeled with Floridays - they dock at the Hyatt Resort & Marina on Front Street and were really pleased. They limit passengers to 20 or 30, unlike other groups that pack folks in like cattle cars.
Old Sep 5th, 2006, 06:36 AM

The way I understand it is they are the same tour but with the Trolley you are able to get on and off at certain stops. The Train (which we have done and really liked) stops once for a rest stop and is only about a 1 1/2 hours in total so its great if you are pressed for time and want to get a great over view of the island. Have a wonderful time!
Old Sep 5th, 2006, 02:15 PM
Original Poster

I think the trolley would be the better way to go since you can get on and off at various stops. I believe it is every 30 minutes. I must correct myself and say we are leaving 2 weeks from tomorrow. Next Tuesday I am going to see Jimmy Buffett so that ought to get me all wound up!!!
Old Sep 6th, 2006, 08:50 AM

I've never done either but I'd probably do the Train. BUT try to save this for that one bad, drizzly day since the trolly is pretty much enclosed and the train is more open. BUT if it is very hot the train gives you a neat Frog fan or if it is rainy they give you a neat-o plastic rain panch-o.

Pjk