Reload this Page >

Key West - Coconut Beach Resort

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18th, 1999, 02:51 PM
Trish

Has anyone stayed here? We're interested in a waterfront location but close to Old Towne. Is CBR close enough to walk to restaurants/bars? Is there any beach are at all?

What about the hotels on the Gulf, particularly Best Western Ambassador? I have read that there is not much of a beach in Key West? Does this hold true for the Gulf side? iS there transportation to Old Town from the Gulf side. Any info is appreciated.

Old Jun 18th, 1999, 03:51 PM
loveRlabs

Trish, we stayed at CBR a few years ago. It was a timeshare exchange. It is in the shape of a U. We were on the third floor of the center building. Our unit had one bedroom, one bath, a huge LR/eating area overlooking the beach. Our kitchen was a dishwasher, microwave, frig on one end of the LR area. Very nicely furnished. NO elevators. Parking is either under the buildings or on the street. Pool was nice and there is a large area facing the water for sunbathing. Beach, if any is minimal. But CBR is close to what real beaches there are in Key West.
You are right beaches are hard to find in Key West. All beaches are pretty much man made.
CBR is at the other end of the island from Old towne and most of the restaruants and bars, although there are some restaurants nearby--but all of the action is at the other end of the island. It's walkable, but it is a couple of miles. There was no transportation at that time to the Old Towne/Duval St. Mallory Square area. But, now I'm not sure just how the Trolley runs around the island.
There is a website www.keywest.com that has maps that might help you out.
Bikes and mopeds are the best way to get around. Driving AND parking in KW is a problem. Narrow streets and not enough parking spaces-and some of those are reserved for residents only.
Most of the beaches are on the Atlantic side. The Gulfside beaches are small and limited.
The Best Western, as I recall is on the Atlantic side and across the street or near one of the large beaches.
If you are on the Gulf side you are close to Old Town-it's the Atlantic side that is on the other side. We have been going down for 22 years to visit our daughter, so have gotten to know the area pretty well. Do check out that website and email me if I can help in any other way.

Old Jun 18th, 1999, 03:52 PM
loveRlabs

Trish, we stayed at CBR a few years ago. It was a timeshare exchange. It is in the shape of a U. We were on the third floor of the center building. Our unit had one bedroom, one bath, a huge LR/eating area overlooking the beach. Our kitchen was a dishwasher, microwave, frig on one end of the LR area. Very nicely furnished. NO elevators. Parking is either under the buildings or on the street. Pool was nice and there is a large area facing the water for sunbathing. Beach, if any is minimal. But CBR is close to what real beaches there are in Key West.
You are right beaches are hard to find in Key West. All beaches are pretty much man made.
CBR is at the other end of the island from Old towne and most of the restaruants and bars, although there are some restaurants nearby--but all of the action is at the other end of the island. It's walkable, but it is a couple of miles. There was no transportation at that time to the Old Towne/Duval St. Mallory Square area. But, now I'm not sure just how the Trolley runs around the island.
There is a website www.keywest.com that has maps that might help you out.
Bikes and mopeds are the best way to get around. Driving AND parking in KW is a problem. Narrow streets and not enough parking spaces-and some of those are reserved for residents only.
Most of the beaches are on the Atlantic side. The Gulfside beaches are small and limited.
The Best Western, as I recall is on the Atlantic side and across the street or near one of the large beaches.
If you are on the Gulf side you are close to Old Town-it's the Atlantic side that is on the other side. We have been going down for 22 years to visit our daughter, so have gotten to know the area pretty well. Do check out that website and email me if I can help in any other way.

Old Jun 18th, 1999, 04:00 PM
loveRlabs

Go to www.coconutbeachresorts.com for pictures and map.

Old Jun 19th, 1999, 07:20 AM
Trish

What about Marriott's The Reach? Have you ever stayed here? Would it be any closer to Bars, etc? What about beach? Would appreciate any other ideas concerning accomodations. Would prefer some place with kitchenette or at least refrigerator. Thanks a lot.

Old Jun 19th, 1999, 07:59 AM
loveRlabs

WWW.KEYWEST.COM is a great website for all sorts of inof on Key West and they have a good listing of Key West inns/hotels/motels/B & B's. Some of those are timeshare type condos or small studio's with kitchenettes in them. All I've looked at look very nice. We haven't stayed at the Reach and don't know about the beach there. Probably fairly small. Glad to help with more information if you need it.