key west

Oct 1st, 2002, 02:33 PM
kalialba

key west

Will visit Key West (from the UK) late May 2003, any recommendations for accomodation which is within 10 mins walk of Mallory Square. Would like to stay somewhere small and friendly, with kitchen facilities.

One member of the party is unable to walk for long distances but would like to be close to the buzz of the night life and see the sunset celebrations.

Open to suggestions for good bars and eating places.

Oct 1st, 2002, 02:45 PM
HereYa

The Ocean Key House and The Galleon seem to get good reviews here and I think I remember someone saying they both have kitchens.

Oct 1st, 2002, 06:59 PM
Postal

You might want to rent at Truman Annex or another privately owned home. Check out www.vrbo, Vacation Rentals By Owner, and you will see some Key West properties.

Oct 1st, 2002, 07:29 PM
Sam

I believe short-term rentals of less than 30 days are illegal in Key West. This is a relatively new law.

Oct 1st, 2002, 07:33 PM
aaaaaa

short term rentals are not illegal. ou must have a special license to rent out your property.

Oct 1st, 2002, 07:36 PM
Sam

When I was there in June, neighbors berated me for renting an "illegal" property. Made my stay miserable. I think they called the cops on us but we were out exploring. Very weird.

Overall, loved KW.

Oct 1st, 2002, 07:45 PM
Minnie

Dont rent a private rental. Get a nice room at a guest house or B&B.

Oct 2nd, 2002, 04:50 AM
Larry

My wife and I have stayed at the Banyan Resort on Whitehead Street several times. It is mostly a time share place, but they rent out rooms to the public also. It is very nice and convenient.
http://www.banyanresort.com/

Oct 2nd, 2002, 05:50 AM
susan

I think Larry's got the best idea. I've stayed at both the Ocean Key House and the Galleon, and though both have kitchens, neither is small. The Banyon Resort is in a wonderful location and is really pretty from the outside.

I know that there are a number of B&Bs that have kitchen facilities but I'm not sure which they are. If you want to investigate that further, try going to keywest.com and checking under accommodations.

The law against short term rentals (less than 30 days) is currently being enforced. No place in Truman Annex has a license and many other places in Key West don't either, so I wouldn't advise looking at vacation rentals by owners. A reputable real estate dealer could lead you to a rental that's licensed. I know At Home in Key West is good and I simply can't remember the name of the other agency that's supposed to be great. I think it's Key West Realty.

Oct 2nd, 2002, 07:09 AM
MD

Another vote for Ocean Key. It is a little larger property, but the staff is very friendly. If you can, ask for Room 318. It has a full kitchen & an awesome view of the gulf, Atlantic and Mallory Square. Tell Daniel, the pool attendant with cool washcloths & sorbet, I said hi! Wish I were there right now!

Oct 2nd, 2002, 07:24 AM
Jean

We're leaving for Key West a week from today. Can't wait. We'll be staying at Island City House. I'm not sure exactly how far from Mallory Square it is, but it doesn't seem like a long walk to us. Our room has a full kitchen in the same room as a couch, then a separate bedroom. The best part is the huge semi-private veranda which is at coconut level. Feels like you're staying in a treehouse. Not all of the rooms have these great verandas, but there are several. The continental breakfast is decent, the pool is nice and the ground are beautiful.

Oct 2nd, 2002, 07:58 AM
susan

The Island City House is in a great location and it has two bedroom suites with kitchens. Their off-season starts the first of May, too.

Oct 3rd, 2002, 01:46 PM
kalialba

Thanks a lot to all who replied, I will certainly check out all the places mentioned.

Search this Thread