Reload this Page >

Kennedy vs. La Guardia Airport -- difference in distance to Times Square Hotel

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6th, 2001, 05:56 AM
apc

I'm about to purchase my tickets to go to NYC in August. Looking back at the archives, I noticed people have said that La Guardia Airport is the closer airport if you're staying in Times Square (which we are). But, I'm thinking about flying JetBlue, which only flies into Kennedy. I've also heard likelihood of delays is much higher in La Guradia. Will it be that much farther? Approx. how much difference in the cab fare?

Thanks in advance

Old Jun 6th, 2001, 06:33 AM
rqf

LGA to Times Square - about 10 miles. Cab fare would be between $20 and $25 toll ($3.50 if driver uses a toll facility) and tip included
JFK to Times square - about 20 miles. Cab fare is fixed at $30 - tip and toll not included.
True about delays at LGA. I would think price of ticket (Jet Blue as opposed to another air line) would be a major factor in your decision. The extra 10 miles would take a minimum of 10 to 15 minutes assuming you don't hit a major traffic delay.

Old Jun 6th, 2001, 06:47 AM
Howard

rqf's advice is pretty much on the mark, with one comment: I'd say the difference in travel time from JFK is more likely to be 20-30 minutes longer.

Old Jun 6th, 2001, 07:14 AM
uh huh

the difference in traveling time might even be more than 30 minutes, especially if it's a busy time. LGA might suck when it comes to delays, but it is MUCH closer than JFK.

Old Jun 6th, 2001, 07:28 AM
apc

I think the flight I was looking at gets in around 1pm. Traffic should be OK then, right?

I guess it'll depend on how much I'm saving on JetBlue vs. USAIR and then weigh it all out.

Old Jun 6th, 2001, 08:41 AM
sktraveler

You might want to look into Newark, too. It's about a 20-30 minute ride in and sometimes you can get cheaper flights into there. Just another option!

Old Jun 6th, 2001, 09:36 AM
Annie

You can't count on traffic being good at 1 p.m. I used to fly into JFK before I discovered LaGuardia. Sometimes it took an hour or more to get into the city from JFK. LaGuardia's much quicker and easier. I've heard about all of the delays at LaGuardia, but my flights in and out of there have all been on time (knock on wood).

Old Jun 6th, 2001, 10:43 AM
apc

Hmmm...thanks for all the input. I'm going to re-think flying into JFK.
You guys have been very helpful.

Old Jun 6th, 2001, 01:23 PM
rqf

To: APC.
I live in Manhattan, two miles due north of Times Square. I have been to both LGA and JFk. by car, more times than I care to count. The longest it took to get to JFk was 1 hour and 10 minutes and that was because I got stuck in traffic and didn't move for close to 15 minutes and that happened only once. The ride very rarely takes more than 50 minutes; even did it once in about 30 minutes at 8am in the morning and that was quite a surprise. As I pointed out in a previous post the difference in distance is about 10 miles and all of that is highway so without traffic it can be done (the 10 additional miles) in 15 minutes or less. Traffic should not be a major problem at 1pm. Airfare should be the factor to consider. If fares are comparable go to LGA. If you save $15 or less using Jet Blue go to LGA. The extra cost for a taxi from JFk would be around $15. If the difference in airfare comes to $50 or more go with Jet Blue to JFk.

Old Jun 6th, 2001, 02:15 PM
guy

Here in lies your problem..Depending upon where you fly in from and I do not think you revealed that to the audience here..Many flights come to JFK direct and many come to with a connection..If you are flying direct non-stop to JFK.without a connection..then I would do it and take a cab from JFK..the fare is fixed at 30 or 35 $ and takes perhaps an addtional 15-20 minutes..unless you do it at 5:30 p.m..then all bets are off...If you have to make a connection regardless..then I would fly into LGA because it is closer..and the ride is not as traffice bound..and is a bit cheaper..You make the call..but have a nice trip !!