Kennebunkport in February

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18th, 2004, 07:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's too late too talk us out if it, we're booked for the Captain Lord in a month. (We're from Wisconsin, we can handle the weather.) Please help us find restaurants open in the dead of winter. Are the White Barn and Arrows open all year? Other nice places for a great lobster dinner? How about any basic drop-in lobster or clam shacks for lunch? Any local tips are greatly appreciated!
Old Jan 19th, 2004, 07:52 PM
Original Poster

ttt Please help--anyone?
Old Jan 19th, 2004, 08:32 PM

You can find restaurant hours and schedule on the websites of each.
You can find lots of details about people's favorite lobster stops at Chowhound.com.
Just type in "lobster Kennebunkport" in the search box.
Old Jan 20th, 2004, 04:46 AM

We spend time in Kennebunkport, even in February. The weather is unpredictable of course but you could end up with a not-too-cold and very sunny day. Your location is good; you can walk to Dock Square where most things are open at least part of the day. The piano bar at the Kennebunkport Inn is fun after dinner. I believe the White Barn Inn is open all year, but I think Arrows does take a winter break. Either will be a wonderful dinner, and Arrows plans some specific dinners during the winter and spring (i.e., Italian, French, etc.). Breakfast at the Green Heron is fun; if Hurricane in Depot Square is open, that would be a good dinner spot. We like Nunan's in Cape Porpoise for lobster, but I'm not sure of its winter schedule. There are many good restaurants in the area; you won't starve. And you could always go on up to Portland which has two of our favorite restaurants in Street & Company and Fore Street Cafe.
Old Jan 21st, 2004, 06:21 AM

Since you will be there for a month, here are some nearby towns for exploring -

Heading South - In Wells, I like Billy's Chowder House for a great lobster roll and chowder.

In Ogunquit, go to Perkins Cove (its a small fishing cove with restaurants and shops - most will be closed but -go to Hurricane which should be open. Its the sister restaurant to the one in Kennebunk) Hurricane there has great modern/eclectic food and has wonderful views -its right on the ocean While in Perkins Cove walk the Marginal Way - an oceanside cliff walk - its about a mile along the rocky coast. Arrows is definetely not open in the offseason.

In York I'd suggest Stage Neck in for a fancier lunch/dinner - it too is on the ocean so it has nice views. For more casual food, go to Carla's in York Village. Also, the Stone Wall Kitchen, maker of specialty foods like jams, mustards etc. is in York on Route 1. You can buy gifts for friends and visit their in-house cafe for soups/sandwiches at lunch.

In Portland, I like Walters and Perfidio - also be sure to go to Portland Museum of Art - a great small Art museum.
Old Jan 21st, 2004, 08:22 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the ideas! I knew my fellow fodorites would come through. And to Rumrita, I WISH i was going FOR a month, but alas, it is IN a month, but only for 5 days. We do plan to road trip to surrounding cities though.
Old Jan 22nd, 2004, 07:29 AM

Hurricane's and Nunan's are closed for the season but the Cape Arundel Inn is the place for dinner! The chef used to run the White Barn Inn when it was the best place around, now it's just the most expensive place around....Grissini's is open and has great Italian food and Allison's in Dock Square has lobster and great lobster rolls. Allison's is also good for lunch, no reservations.
Old Jan 22nd, 2004, 08:12 AM

If you tire of seafood, there is an excellent Thai place in Kennebunk called Mekong (spelling?), and also one in Wells on Rte 1 by the same name. Also don't miss the Maine Diner on Rte 1 in Wells, a landmark for real homestyle Yankee food like codfish cakes and beans.
Old Jan 27th, 2004, 09:14 AM

living a few miles from Kpt, it's an ideal place to visit. Federal Jack's has pretty good food, and good beer if you're interested. Allison's is good for lunch or a casual dinner(my kids like the small pizza's there if you have kids)The White Barn Inn is expensive, but the food is delicious. Windows on the Water and the Cape Arundel Inn are also fabulous. Grissini's is an alright restuarant but for the price, I myself would rather go to Arundel Inn or Windows on the WaterThe Thai place zootsi talks of is also very good. if your looking for pizza, try Atlantic(it's better than Village Take out except for chicken salad snadwhiches)For breakfast, definatly try the all day breakfast or Port Bakery and Cafe which is fabulous(despite my being friends with the owners, it is a must for a snack or breakfast. also try their sandwhiches and salads for a casual lunch/dinner)there arn't many restaurants in Kennebunk, though they have Stefano's Bistro which has good pizza if you're out that way for lunch as well as Subway if you just want something inexpensive. The chinese restaurant near Shoppers Village in Kennebunk is also good(Mei Lei Wah I think(spelling i'm not sure of though) If you decide to leave and go up the Portland way I would suggest going to the Victorian Mansion which I love(christmas is the best time)also for lunch in portland, Richetta's has the best Pizza Buffet(for very inexpensive prices)the Old Port has many good restaurants and good shops if it is not to cold to walk around. Though I am not sure of the name, I recently went to a good restaurant in the old port(modern looking, all glass front, close to the railroad)if you don't go up that far to portland, or if you want to go shopping, Kittery and the towns before it are great places to visit, all within an hour away. well I hope i was somewhat helpful and I hope you have a great vacation!
Old Jan 27th, 2004, 01:25 PM

The good news is that you have chosen one of the most exquisite Inns in K'port and the owners will happily guide you with restaurant selections.

Hopefully you will have a rental car, to explore Portland and (south) Ogunquit.

The *original* Hurricane is in Ogunquit and a lovely location. Clay Hill Farm...also in Ogunquit is lovely.

I would agree with Alison's and highly recommend Grissini's as well as The White Barn and Arundel Inn.

I would skip Federal Jack's and the Maine Diner.

In Kennebunk, there is Sam Bucca's... a personal favorite of mine.

I live in K'port and once my brain *thaws*, I'll be happy to add more info.

Please feel free to email me privately.

Marion
Old Jan 30th, 2004, 08:55 AM

:: I recently went to a good restaurant in the old port(modern looking, all glass front, close to the railroad)

I'll bet it was the Portland Sea Grill. We ate there the other night and it was one of the finest meals I've ever had. Don't go if you don't want fish and have your wallet ready!
Old Feb 2nd, 2004, 12:42 PM

White barn is amazing - we also loved the Cape arundale inn - not to mention the clam shack for lunch - nothing however will top breakfast at captain lords!!!
Old Feb 23rd, 2004, 01:53 AM

I am planning a trip to Kennebunkport in June. How was Captain Lord? I haven't read about a b/b as exquisite as CLM. Did anyone's restaurant tips prove enjoyable?
Old Feb 29th, 2004, 08:16 AM
Original Poster

The Captain Lord was fabulous, as expected.
We'd go there every year if we lived in the area. We splurged for the White Barn, and it was delicious. I'm not sure it was worth the premium prices ($250 for two of us), and the service, while attentive, was not what it should have been for that price (they served my entree while I was in the ladies room, etc). I am glad that we tried it just for the experience however. Our favorite meal was Hurricane in Oqunquit, not K'port. Thanks to Rumrita for that tip! The lobster rolls at Allison's were just o.k. we thought. We also tried Federal Jacks our last night, having overdosed on excessive meals for three nights already. It was not bad, and they do have great microbeers, and a nice bar to hang out in. No luck finding lobster and clam shacks open in Feb., except in Gloucester on our drive back to Boston for our flight--we'll have to take another trip I guess. Thanks again for all the Fodors help. I'll never travel without it!