Kenai Pennisula Lodgings

Search

Kenai Pennisula Lodgings

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20th, 2006, 11:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kenai Pennisula Lodgings

We are planning a trip to Alaska for the last two weeks in August. Approximately 8 days of the time will be spent on the Kenai Pennisula. We're wondering if anyone has suggestions on a central location for lodging or would we be better off splitting out time between Seward on the east side of the pennisula and Homer (or another site) on the west side. We are mostly into viewing wildlife, both on land and sea, so we'll be doing boat tours out of Seward and Homer.

I'm also looking for suggestions for Halibut fishing. I would be going alone and am a complete novice - fished once for trout in New Mexico 15 years ago. I would need someone very patient with newcomers.

Appreciate any help you can provide - thanks.
Old Feb 20th, 2006, 12:32 PM

My husband and i are planning on going the same time to alaska too! But only for 9 or 10 days.

I have found this site to be very valuable for planning other trips I have been on.

My advice is try searching the site for info first. There is A LOT of information about homer, Seward, lodging and hotels, B&Bs in alaska-boat trips, wildlife viewing...etc.
Then when youve looked through that you will probably have a lot more questions! So then try posting more specific questions-with more specific titles. .. (ie. Halibut fishing in alaska or B&Bs in Girdwood, AK).
Old Feb 20th, 2006, 12:35 PM

Soldotna/Kenai is somewhere in between Homer and Seward but it really doesn't make lots of sense to commute to any of these places. Split your stay between these two destinations. If your budget allows include day trip for bear viewing in your itinerary. Do search here on this board under Emerald Air Service. As to halibut fishing there are zillion of charters on Homer Spit. Once you get to Homer go to the Spit and talk to some of them, they all have offices on the spit and big signs advertising them. Chose whichever company appeals to you. You do not need any advance reservation for halibut fishing but you need to reserve your bear watching trip as soon as possible.
Old Feb 20th, 2006, 02:40 PM

Definitely split your time between Homer and Seward, but you'll probably want to spend more time in Homer. Do a long Kenai Fjords boat tour out of Seward, and see the local sights--that'll only take about 1 1/2 days. Homer could easily take up as many days as you'd want to spend there. It is absolutely beautiful with no shortage of outdoor activites such as kayaking, fishing, flights for bear viewing, walking on the beach, just plain ole sightseeing, day or overnight trips across the bay, etc.

My husband went on his very first halibut fishing trip out of Homer last year. He went with Captain Mike and we highly recommend him. He had a blast and they were so helpful and patient--beautiful scenery too!

Good luck with your planning! You will love Alaska!
Old Feb 21st, 2006, 02:31 AM

Pat is right, the Kenai/Soldotna area is about midway but midway is approx 1 1/2 hours from both. I don't think you will want to do that much driving. We took the boat trip out of Homer to Seldovia. It's a nice trip but not as exciting as the one out of Seward. Both Homer and Seward are very beautiful but Kenai/Soldotna is more ordinary. You might want to spend a few hours in each on your way through. I liked the visitors center in Kenai. There's a road that runs along a big marshy area where you have a chance of spotting wildlife. Both towns have a good sized population and shopping areas so it's a good chance to do any shopping you need to do. There's an excellent store in Soldotna that sells outdoor wear. You might want to walk the beach area (we watched net fishing in June) or visit Captain Cook State Park.
Old Feb 21st, 2006, 04:07 PM

Seward 3 nights
Homer 4 nights
Girdwood 1 night
Old Jul 7th, 2006, 02:12 AM
z

ttt for alaskafan21.