Kenai Peninsula, as good as it gets.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28th, 2005, 11:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pictures are taken at Katmai NP, Sadie Cove Wilderness Lodge, Homer & Kachemak Bay, Anchorage & Prince William Sound. You are welcome to explore the album:

http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/index...AlbumID=621264

Old Jun 28th, 2005, 11:44 AM
dcespedes

Truly spectacular pictures--thank you so much for posting them. I was proud of ours until I saw yours

Old Jun 28th, 2005, 11:54 AM
jq

Oleg,
Really nice pictures. Is this at Hallo Bay Wilderness Camp for the bears? Was this a bear tour or their photo tour? How many days? We were there last August on the one day bear tour with John as our guide. I really like the meadow scenes, nice color.
Old Jun 28th, 2005, 12:42 PM
Original Poster

jg-
It was Hallo Bay Camp. 3 days. I stayed there with BBC crew who were filming trilogy about bears (brown, grizzly, polar). Bears were not my top priority though - just one of the components of the trip.
I met John at Hallo Bay office in Homer. He went over to the Camp on the day we left.
Old Jun 29th, 2005, 02:21 AM

Great pictures! Thanks for sharing.
Old Jun 29th, 2005, 04:04 AM

I noticed quite a bit of ice in the water. Were the Glaciers calving while you were there or was that leftovers?
Old Jun 29th, 2005, 05:15 AM
Original Poster

tlbooz:
I saw glaciers calving a few times during the cruise Prince William Sound. Unfortunately, I did not get this on the pictures. The chunks of ice you see in PWS waters and Grenwick Glacier in Kachemak Bay State Park - these are "leftovers".
Old Jun 30th, 2005, 01:15 PM

Gorgeous! Looks like you had better weather than me. Thanks for sharing.
Old Jul 2nd, 2005, 10:19 AM

Thanks for postng the pictures. Amazing is all I can say. We leave for Alaska on Jul 28th and I am so excited I can hardly stand myself. Our first day there we are going out on the 26 glacier PWS cruise. I noticed many shots of wildlife while on the cruise. We can only hope to have a day as nice as what you had. What other wildlife did you see on PWS? Any whales?
Old Jul 2nd, 2005, 05:27 PM

Did you feel there was enough difference in the PWS and Kenai crusies that one should do both. Out of Whittier or Valdez for PWS
Old Jul 3rd, 2005, 01:01 AM

For clairfication, PWS is NOT noted for a lot of wildlife on the glacier tours. Far far superior going on the Kenai fjords boat tours for VARIED wildlife.
Whales are NOT guaranteed and my sighings on the several Kenai Fjords tours have only run about 50%. If you want whales go out of Juneau, close to 100% for humpbacks there.

You get way more glaciers going out of Whittier. Out of Valdez if you want BIG ice be sure your trip goes to the Columbia Glacier, extremely "productive" glacier with ice the size of apartment buildlings but rarely can you get close. I've sailed out of all three areas, very different.
Old Jul 5th, 2005, 09:38 AM
Original Poster

I apologize for not getting back to degiulio and garymey earlier. I was busy with 4th July plans.
degiulio: I saw very limited wildlife on PWS cruise from Whittier. Just otters, sea lions, some birds. PWS is not intended as wildlife cruise. It is wonderful scenery, comfortable boat, and very nice and scenic train ride to/from Whittier. I did not expect much of it after Kenai Fiord NP in 2003, but I was mistaken. If I had to do both again, I would do both in heartbeat.
I know nothing of Valdez cruise. I doubt I would ever want to visit Valdez unless some travel logistic would put me there.
Old Dec 3rd, 2005, 04:22 AM

Oleg, I almost fell over when looking at your photos. I've never seen such beautiful photos. How in the world did you get so close to the bears?!? What type of camera do you use?