kayaking in maui-which company

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3rd, 2008, 03:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning on taking a guided kayak/snorkel tour in Maui and are trying to figure out which company to book with. Almost all of their websites say "the best in Maui" but I have seen sites mentioning irresponsible kayak companies and I don't want to book with any of those. Has anyone taken a kayak tour that you would recommend?
Old Apr 11th, 2008, 01:27 PM

We just got back from Maui.I don't have comparisons but will share my experience. We did a small kayak trip- one that was not a 'tour'with Ron Bass. It was nice that it was small -only 4 of us- and we put in the water where no one else does. However, I expected to see more... We started with a nice lesson and practice session that taught me more than the basics. Then we paddled out and looked for whales off in the distance. While we looked, we listened with a microphone in the water and earphones . We could hear them singing great!! even though miles away probably. We finally spotted some about 5 miles away. Then we paddled to a turtle area and saw about 5 swimming around. Here lies my dissapointment. I hoped to swim/snorkle with them. We then paddled to an area to look for reef sharks but it was too low tide. We snorkled at a very shallow reef that we had to walk through. Saw some fish but it was more uncomfortable to manuever due to shallow waters. I was kind of bored. I Kayak often in waters but was kind of bored. It was 85.00 per person. I wonder what if the big boats (Trilogy is recommended) could do all the same (see whales, turtles, snorkle, and lunch) could provide the same.
Old Apr 13th, 2008, 02:54 PM

We did not kayak on Maui. We did, however, on the Big Island.

Konaboys was a great company & seemed to love sharing extra info - gave us their cell & said to call any time we had a question about anything on the Big Island while we were there.

I sent Frank at Konaboys an email as to your inquiry. He sent back a link that, if they don't have kayaks he assures me they would put you in touch with a reputable company.

Here's the link:
https://htmaui.com/shop/

Send them an email as to your question.
Old Apr 13th, 2008, 06:58 PM
Original Poster

Wow! Thank you for doing that! I will definitely keep them in mind!
Old Apr 14th, 2008, 09:39 AM

I hope you'll do us a favor & write a trip report - let us know who you end up using & 'how it went' when you get back?!
Have fun!