kauai weather end of Oct.

Old Oct 9th, 2006, 02:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
kauai weather end of Oct.

Hello, I've poped in and out of this on and off, and love reading about our favorite place in the world. My question is...I am bringing family from rainy UK, and took a risk with rainy Kauai... because for their first time to Hawaii, it had to be Kauai... in my book. How has the weather been. Silly question I know.I have all the weather sites. We come on the 23 of OCT. 1/2 in the North and 1/2 in the South. Also, we land at lunch time. I want to go straight from the airport to lunch heading north, for the instant Kauai/Hawaii vibe. How is this Scotty's BBQ in Kapaa. The food isn't as important as is the vibe... if you know what I mean. I know about the owners who wrote the Ultimate kauai guid book. The seating sounds great, all with a view.Thanks for your time.
Old Oct 9th, 2006, 03:11 PM
dcd

Received 58 Likes on 4 Posts
I consider myself something of a BBQ affectionado and tried Scotty's last week. By far, it's my favorite locale for Q out of the 100s I've visited. Foodwise, it's good not great. The pork had a very minimal smoke flavor. No evidence of a smoke ring. The waiter asked me what I thot and I told him not enough smoke. He was impressed and said they don't smoke it very long. It was relatively lean which made it fairly dry, however. The brisket was much better IMHO. Didn't try the ribs or chicken. They have some interesting sauces, particulary one with a plum base. Quite unique and very good. But if it's a nice day, the view out the window will make you forget what you ate, how good it was, what year it is, your name, etc.
Old Oct 9th, 2006, 03:17 PM
dcd

Now this is very weird. I just replied to another Kauai thread and somehow it ended up here......... So please disregard the above. Must be some Gremlins at work.
Old Oct 9th, 2006, 03:20 PM
dcd

Oh boy, I read the title and assumed my response ended up in the wrong place. Going much too fast for my own good. I'll go back to work now and shut up.
Old Oct 9th, 2006, 04:18 PM

I'm not sure this is the "vibe" you're looking for, but if it were me, I'd stop into Hamura's Saimin in Lihue for some noodles. It might be a bit of a culture shock, but what fun you will have slurping up those delish noodles and munching on the deep fried won-tons (they're not on the menu).

-Bill
Old Oct 9th, 2006, 05:40 PM

While Scotty's BBQ can in no way be mistaken for a Hawaiian dining spot by its food, the location is unbeatable.

dcd: my experience regarding pork vs. brisket has consistently been the opposite of yours. So much so, that I never order the brisket anymore. Go figgah! 8-)

Can personally give a rave review for Scotty's ribs -- the best on our island, IMHO. We think nothing of driving 35 minutes just to pick up an order of ribs to bring home for dinner. Yum! And that plum BBQ sauce is my favorite.

MJS88: stop at Scotty's; it's a great way to start your vacation! As for weather, Po`ipu/Lihu`e/Kapa`a got blasted with rain today while up here on north end we only got a slight morning rain. Daytime temps are still in the 80s BTW...
Old Oct 10th, 2006, 11:33 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the info. Wish me luck for my soggy rainy English family and us to have normal Kauai weather. I remember one time, I think in 89... I was there for two weeks,on the north, and it rained 24/7. we came home pale, and fat. So, does anyone know about the secret lava pools on secret beach? Never done that... but may not be a good time of year for that... end of OCT. Oueens bath, I read is now closed this time of year.
Old Oct 10th, 2006, 11:41 AM
sistahlou

The only thing that impresses me about the BlueBooks "secret pools" is that most of the blurried eyed tourists walk right past the gorgeous beach in search for them - happily leaving Secret Beach to those of us that adore it's quiet beauty. Then often dissappointed, they return to the beach and head back up the trail, again leaving us in peace!

Like anywhere in Hawaii, NEVER turn your back on the ocean. I have had wonderful swimming at Secrets and other beaches, and the next day, very SCARY swimming. Always err on the side of caution and come home safe.

Old Oct 10th, 2006, 12:50 PM
Original Poster

Yes, I agree on the beauty of the beach... Trust me! I just thought it looked cool, and fun. We are not ones to by pass the beauty of even the smallest shell in Hawaii. We are sick that way, and Hawaii to us, is like oxygen. Can't live without it. When we go, we usually do nothing... Just thought it would be nice to do something different for them. Thanks
Old Oct 10th, 2006, 12:57 PM
sistahlou

Well I have been to Blue Pool and Venus Pool in Hana before the bluebooks, and I have been to Olivine in Maui because of the bluebooks. I have been to Queen's bath before the bluebooks.

I was impressed by all of those, however, I was unimpressed by their new discovery at Secret Beach. To me it felt like a new way to sell books. Oh yes, do walk on the rocks and explore and sit and take in the glory of it all. Just don't kill yourselves to find those pools. It's a nice sidetreck, but not the journey.

Old Oct 10th, 2006, 01:02 PM
sistahlou

In my humble opinion!!!

Old Oct 10th, 2006, 01:09 PM
Original Poster

Ok, now you got me started. What is the blue pool, and Venus pool. As you can see... I do not read the "Books" that much... usually just go... and find our way.
Old Oct 10th, 2006, 01:23 PM
sistahlou

Sorry, they are in Hana, Maui, which is just as horrible as the hellhole you are taking friends to!!!

Old Oct 10th, 2006, 01:25 PM
sistahlou

Actually, there is a fantastic swimming pool on your way to Kipu ATV tours. Now that would be worth a stop!!!

Old Oct 10th, 2006, 01:54 PM
Original Poster

What, and were is this pool in the hell hole were going.
Old Oct 10th, 2006, 02:06 PM
sistahlou

It's on the right side when entering the private Kipu Road to your ATV tour. I'm sure if you call the ATV company,246-9288 they can direct you, as it may be perfect to get rid of that red dirt you will be covered in after your adventure!!!

Old Oct 10th, 2006, 03:52 PM
Original Poster

do you mean the kipu falls etc. sorry if I'm bugging you.