Search

kauai vs big island

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11th, 2002, 04:49 AM
xxxxx

kauai vs big island

if you could only do one (young couple on honeymoon - top requirement is great beaches) would you go to Kauia or Big island and why?

Old Feb 12th, 2002, 09:52 AM
xxxx

Big Island has no real beaches to speak of - very volcanic island - maybe in a million years it will have beaches instead of lava. Kauai does have beautiful beaches.

Old Feb 12th, 2002, 11:48 AM
Lisa

My husband and I split a 10 day vacation between Kauai and the Big Island two years ago. While both islands are beautiful, we definitely preferred Kauai. It's much more lush, a bit more rural and slower paced, and not nearly so touristy as the Big Island.

Both had great beaches, and wonderful places to eat. I suppose your choice would depend on your vacation style. If you're into big shopping and partying late, Kauai is not for you. But, if you'd like to feel like you've really been some place special and out of the way, I'd recommend Kauai.

We enjoyed Kauai so much we're heading back in two weeks and plan to spend all of our time there. Feel free to e-mail me if you have any other questions I can help with.

Old Feb 12th, 2002, 12:42 PM
Michelle

I was on the big island last year and if the beach is what you are looking for to lay out and relax you may have to drive a bit (30-minutes). The nite life is great in Kona, volcanos, horesbackriding, real island living or any activity outside of the beach definitely go to the big island. Dont be scared off by what you see when you get off the plane (lava) just stop and enjoy the land. Wonderful place for all outdoor activites
ps only hoseback at Parker Ranch

Old Feb 12th, 2002, 12:50 PM
Bojo

Kauai was definitely my favorite of the four islands I visited last year. It is slower paced than some of the other island and has beautiful scenery and coastline and beaches. Very secluded and quiet areas.
The Big Island has a lot to see and do and Kona is a tourist town with lots to do/eat/shop. The volcano and hiking are around Hilo.
Depending on how long you have to stay, you can fly between the islands in less than an hour and for a very reasonable fee. But if I had to pick one for a young couple honeymooning (based on the word "young" and beaches)- Kona - Big Island. But for me, I'd pick Kauai.

Old Feb 23rd, 2002, 09:06 PM
Patrick

We have never been to BI but have been to Kauai three times. We love the beaches there. Tip: along the main roads there are no directional signs to most of the best beaches. Get the "Ultimate Guidebook of Kauai" or check or their website at wizardpub.com. This book has some great maps and tips. Have a great trip. Congrats.

Old Feb 24th, 2002, 08:42 AM
CF

Another vote for Kauai. Be sure to take the helicopter tour of the canyon. Their beacher are much nicer than the beaches on the BI. It is so lush and "Hawaiian". I think it was our favorite with Maui a close second.

Old Feb 24th, 2002, 01:52 PM
xxxx

For me, the choice depends on your individual interests. I've been to Hawaii several times and can't really say of all the islands, including Oahu, that I've ever had a bad time--all the islands of Hawaii are wonderful!

Kauai does have beautiful beaches, and waterfalls up towards Princeville, the fern grotto(it's touristy, but they do a great Hawaiian wedding song). You can kayak, swim, fish, take a hellicopter tour or snorkel, but you'll be on your honeymoon. Are you really going to be at the beach? They also have amazing golf courses.

No one has mentioned that of all the islands, Kauai gets the most amount of rain. Though it usually doesn't last long, you should be aware of this fact. Depending upon when you travel and how long you stay, this could be a problem.

Kona would my choice on the big island. The Hapuna Prince, the sister hotel of the Mauna Kea (I probably didn't spell it right), had a nice beach, but it's a bit pricey. You can swim with dolphins (I think they have a lottery) at the Hilton Waikaloa. Also, there is more varied terrain on Hawaii--cow country, volcanos, beaches and coffee!

The negative to Kona is that you may have to drive around a bit to see everything of interest on the island--that's the same with Kauai, or any island for that matter.

My favorite island, if there is one, is Maui--particularly Wailea. We saw whales from our lanai at the Kealani (a Fairmont property). But for a 'young' couple, you'd probably like the Grand Wailea better--they have some wonderful connecting pools with waterfalls and slides. It's drier than Kauai and the other side of Maui. The other side of Maui has several hotels in the Kanapali area that would probably be more appealing and affordable to a younger crowd.

I could go on and on, but the best thing to do is get a travel book on Hawaii and decide for yourself. There are just too many choices!

Have a great trip!

Old Mar 7th, 2002, 09:47 PM
tori

Just for the record, the Big Island has the most beautiful beaches I have ever seen. Unfortunately for most, they are only reachable via hiking and four-wheel drive vehicles - not to mention kept quite secret from tourists. But that first comment about the BI not having beaches, just lava, irritated me. People who don't know what they are talking about shouldn't reply. The BI has white, green, red, and black sand beaches - all with the most gorgeous, warm tourquoise water. Just one reason why I went for a visit and stayed for 2 1/2 years...

Old Mar 8th, 2002, 07:16 AM
anon

Tori, just what do you think those colorful bits of sand are made from...lava of course.

Old Mar 8th, 2002, 07:40 AM
anonJr

if we take up a collection, can you make it 3 1/2 years?

Old Mar 8th, 2002, 03:03 PM
anonIII

Those bits of sand aren't all lava...the white ones are coral and shells.