Reload this Page >

Question about Makiki Manoa Cliffs Trail in Oahu

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6th, 2002, 10:56 AM
sun

For those of you who have walked the Makiki Manoa Cliffs Trail, can you walk this trail on your own or is a tour-guide required? We'd rather just be able to go at our own pace and do our own thing. Also do many of the hikes or trails in Oahu and Maui allow you to go alone or do they require tour-guides? Thanks for the info.

Old Mar 6th, 2002, 01:06 PM
ttt

ttt

Old Mar 6th, 2002, 01:36 PM
Melissa

Why don't you try checking with the Sierra Club? http://www.hi.sierraclub.org/

Old Mar 6th, 2002, 01:38 PM
scigirl

Sun,

I can't be 100% certain of this - but I live in Oahu and I haven't heard of any trails that require a guide. Be sure to get a good trail map, stay on the main trails, consider using a GPS, and dress appropriately, and plan for the weather. There are several good books published with detailed information on hiking trails on Oahu - a search on Amazon.com or other online book seller should bring up a list.

Old Mar 6th, 2002, 04:11 PM
Hiker

Damn! Just the other day I was looking over a book that described all the day trails on the island of O'ahu. I can't remember the title. The advice already given regarding Sierra Club and Amazon.com are good. You can do a search and I am sure you'll come up with something. You do not need a guide to take you around...especially the Makiki-Manoa Cliffs trail. Now that I think about it, you can also do a google.com search. I remember a website that described many of the trails in Hawai'i. Other hikes you might consider are: Kuliouou trail in east O'ahu, the Diamond Head trail (easy with a gorgeous panorama of the south shore of O'ahu), and, of course, the Nu'uanu Pali trail (uncertain about its official name) which hugs the windward side of O'ahu. People, by the way, do occasionally get lost on this small island. You sound like experienced hikers and would know better than to stray offtrail and/or attempt dangerous crossings. It's also nice and reassuring to carry a cell phone. It's saved many a hiker....

Old Mar 6th, 2002, 04:38 PM
Hiker

Me, again. Just did a short search thru google. As suspected, lots of sites re: hiking in Hawai'i. One that you might try is: www.hawaiitrails.org
Aloha!

Old Mar 7th, 2002, 07:10 AM
sun

Great! Thanks so much to everyone that responded. Those are exactly the responses I was looking for. Take care.

Old Mar 7th, 2002, 07:41 AM
Karen

The tours have ruined this trail (locals tell me this) if I were you I would only go on a day when the tours are not there if you have to go at all.

You also want to be mindful of falling rocks when we were there and we went many times, (lived on Oahu) large rocks fell from the top. My friend was in the water and these rocks missed him by 1-3 feet (about 3 rocks). We actually thought someone threw them because there were some trouble makers there on that day that ran a head and then were not at the falls. These rocks fell from what is the height on that waterfall a few hundred feet they were the size of bricks could have killed someone. Sacred falls had a falling rock disaster a few years ago that killed 8 people. Always want to find the safest route and the potential of this type of problem.

I think it is better to find a trail that is not so trafficed, you have the whole dynamic of locals annoyed with tourist and white people in general not all but definately a presence of this type of thinking. We only had a problem this one time but I would not chance it again unless I know it is not a tourist hub that was once a local haunt. ...and always always check out safest route.

Old Mar 7th, 2002, 07:42 AM
Karen

I was talking about the Manoa Falls trail, don't tell me the tours have weasled there way to another area?

Old Mar 7th, 2002, 06:18 PM
lcuy

Manoa Falls trail is officially closed to the public. After the Sacred Falls disaster, the state was sued (for not properly warning hikers that you can get hurt in Nature!!). In light of that litigation, they checked the rocks in the cliffs along manoa falls trail, and decided to close it. the police come up and ticket cars, and warn people, but many still go...I guess it takes the liability off the state.
You do not need a guide. Just follow the trail for about 1/2 mile to the falls. Take mosquito spray, leave if it starts raining hard, and be careful as the adobe soil is very slippery. Do not try to go above the falls however. I don't know how many people have slipped and been hurt or killed up

Old Mar 8th, 2002, 10:24 AM
sun

If the Manoa Falls trail is closed, are there any other waterfalls to get to by foot on Oahu? Also, are there any on Maui worth seeing besides the ones near Haleakala?

Old Mar 8th, 2002, 03:10 PM
jefft

Take the road towards Hana (all Or part way) ad you wlll be able to walk up to more waterfalls than you could want!