Search

Kauai villa rental?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4th, 2001, 11:24 AM
Megan

Kauai villa rental?

We returned recently from a fabulous vacation in the Caribbean, where we rented our own 3BR villa w/ pool and jacuzzi for around $1600 a week (off-season rate). For our next trip we're thinking about Hawaii and I was wondering if they also have nice, reasonably-priced villas for rent? After this last vacation, I just can't see paying $350+ per night for a room with a bed (like at the Hyatt)! Can anyone recommend a reputable rental agency?

Also, was curious to know if Hawaii has an off-season like the Caribbean does in summer and fall? We saved an incredible amount of money going to the Virgin islands during hurricane season and we still had great weather.

Old Nov 5th, 2001, 08:41 AM
Kristen

Megan--Sorry, I can't answer your Hawaii question, but I'm curious which island you went to in the Caribbean? That sounds like a great deal.

Old Nov 6th, 2001, 02:19 AM
Linda

For an idea of some rental agents and price ranges try vacationspot.com and 10krentals.com. But I've done a lot of looking for Hawaiian vacation rentals over the last year, and $1600/wk is going to get you a nice basic cottage or small house, a completely different category than a villa w/pool - the prices are MUCH higher than Caribbean rentals.....

Old Nov 6th, 2001, 06:36 AM
joan

Linda & Megan: After being spoiled by several fabulous villa rentals in the Carib, I too have been searching for a villa rental on Kauai. Not much luck though. Looks like we'll have to settle on a condo (my husband hates condo's - we live in Fla and his mom lives in one - so many rules etc he calls the residents "condo commandos") or *maybe* a B&B. Found one on the south shore called Gloria's Spouting Horn, priced about $250 includes breakfast and cocktails and knowledgeable hosts...but that privacy thing is shot to hell! Gloria also has a link to some private home rentals, but as Linda said, they are WAY expensive. Here's my partial list of agencies:
(all begin with www. and end with .com
travel-kauai
kauaivacation
alternative-hawaii
poipu-beach.org
kauai-vacation-realty
kauaiproperties
kauai-rentals
napaliprop
real-estate-kauai

Hope this helps...I'm going to 10krentals and give them a try. If you do decide to do a condo, pick up the Ultimate Kauai Guidebook. There's lots of good reviews in there. Also, Kalkahuna and KarenQ have been a big help to me (frequent posters re Kauai)

Joan
P.S. Kauai's off-season seems to be summer-fall, but not by much!

Old Nov 6th, 2001, 08:53 AM
Suzie

We recently stayed in a luxury condo on Kauai. Second floor, balcony stretched from living room past master bedroom. 2 bedroom 2 bath. Felt very private. Ocean was just outside our place. Snorekling right nearby. No sandy beach. Had pool, spa, bbq but no commandos as Joan describes in FLA. This was through Suite Paradise, called Whalers Cove. They both have a web site.

Old Nov 6th, 2001, 12:05 PM
Linda

Joan, Thank you very very much for the list. I'm not ready to give up and settle for a condo rental yet - got lucky on 1st trip to Oahu w/fine cottage in georgous setting for $100/night - so hoping to do the same for trip to Kauai. Can't afford $200/night places - and like you, am sure we wouldn't like B&B's (we're just not that social). Well, I've got plenty of time to research since it's gonna take me 18 mos or so to save up enough to go.....

Old Nov 6th, 2001, 12:18 PM
joan

Suzie, that sounds great. Thanks for the tip!
And Linda, if you find "one", please let us know!

Old Nov 6th, 2001, 12:31 PM
kal

Joan and Suzie,
You guys do good work!

I'm a 1.5-2 star hotel guy on Kauai.

I don't know villas and the only condo we've stayed at during the hotel remodel was in Poipu and too far from Coco Coast "friends and family" for us.

If I was going to look for a house/villa I'd look in the Anini Beach or Haena areas. Some nice ones there.

We will swing by Whaler's Cove since the web looks nice and based on Suz's rec.
Suzie, Make it to the Grand opening of the R'ville shortcut?
Mahalo and...I know...54 mo' days,
Kal

Old Nov 6th, 2001, 12:56 PM
Suzie

Kal you crack me up! Took a drive on the parkway Suday evening. Was too dark already to appreciate how it changes the trip across town. Gotta try it in the daylight.

BTW thanks for the countdown. I've missed it recently!

Old Nov 6th, 2001, 02:28 PM
joan

Kal: you da man! (or should I say haole?

Old Nov 7th, 2001, 04:27 AM
Megan

Thanks guys, this is really helpful. Sound like I have lots of research to do! What we're looking for specifically, is a newer property that's mountainside or hillside (i.e. great view) in a wooded and/or garden setting. We're not as concerned about being beachfront or even waterfront. Also, we'd prefer to be in an area that's fairly secluded from other houses--or at least one that feels that way. For example, we don't want to be in a house that's in a row of houses on a regular residential street. If anyone knows of a property that might fit the bill, I'd love to hear about it! Thanks again.

P.S. Kristen--we stayed on St. John.

Old Nov 7th, 2001, 07:58 AM
Linda

Megan, I've been bookmarking possible rentals - the website address I bookmarked for this one is much too long, but do a search for "The Jungle Bungalow" on Kauai. It looks way cute - secluded, georgous gardens, rushing-riverfront, even an outdoor clawfoot tub. Alas, hubby really wants beachfront.....

Old Nov 7th, 2001, 12:20 PM
joan

Megan & Linda: Ok ladies, I'm gonna give away my favorite find so far:
Hale Anuenue (House of Rainbows)
This home is waterfront, gorgeous, located in Poipu area, available through Gloria's Vacation Rentals, priced at 250/night or 275/night for less than 7 nights.
Here is the link:
http://www.gloriasvacationrentals.com/anuenue/anuenue.html

View it and drool!!! (or make a res!) It was not available during September, which is when I'm going...

Old Nov 7th, 2001, 02:14 PM
kal

OK OK OK OK...now you're making me jealous!
This may be the place I was trying to remember that was located near Gloria's.

We drove by one time when the front doors were open and Mrs Kal "oooohed" so loud I almost drove thru the BotGardens.
I can taste the ahi nachos at The Beach House or the Cerviche at Brennekke's right now.

Mahalo

Old Nov 7th, 2001, 02:31 PM
Jen

We're thinking about a villa too. Does anyone know how far in advance one generally has to make reservations? Do you have to decide a whole year out to get anything good? We want to go next October.

Old Nov 9th, 2001, 02:33 AM
Linda

Jen, I'm not an expert on this, but the agents I talked to last year reahu rentals suggested reservations AT LEAST 6 mos ahead of time, and said earlier was better if I wanted exact dates (which I did). We reserved ours in Jan for Aug trip.....

Old Dec 12th, 2001, 02:55 PM
Melissa

Try this website for a house rental in Hanalei: http://vrbo.com/vrbo/484.htm

We stayed here in October, and the setting is beautiful (not on the water, but set back from the road and beach with a river and pond and mountains in the backyard; very secluded). The price is good too - $150 per night for 2 bedrooms, 2 baths, plenty of space. The house itself is not particularly luxurious, but it is clean and suited our needs perfectly well.

Old Dec 13th, 2001, 05:30 AM
cg

Joan - just curious - have you stayed at Gloria's B&B or were you just looking at it?

My hubby and I spent a few nights there in November, and we are not the B&B social types either, but we found it extremely comfortable. The rooms are very private (not like some places where you feel like you're sharing a bed with the people in the next room...), and the sound of the ocean right outside the door is the only thing you'll hear. They also provide AMAZING breakfasts, which you can eat downstairs or take to your room or lanai on a tray. We spent very little time interacting with the other guests, which was fine with us.

We considered one of Gloria's rental homes as well, but decided that it would be nicer to have a hot breakfast (and coffee) every morning and have our bed/towels changed every day. We weren't disappointed!

Old Dec 13th, 2001, 12:50 PM
trish

Last year we honeymooned in Kauai, and stayed on the North Shore (in Sept., least rainy month of the year) in a condo. Although it was a condo, it was very, very private, when we went to the pool, we were the only one's there, and we hardly ever saw/heard anyone.
Check out www.vrbo.com, it's a great website, and helps you save a lot of $$ because you rent directly from the owners.
Kauai is heaven!!!

Old Dec 14th, 2001, 12:27 PM
joan

cg: No, we're still in the planning stages of our first trip to HI. I was thinking of doing half week on the north, half week at Gloria's in the south. I'm glad to hear the privacy issue was no problem at Gloria's...sounds better and better to me!

trish: which condo did you stay in on the North Shore?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -