Kauai trip report (long)

Search

Kauai trip report (long)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27th, 2005, 04:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kauai trip report (long)

We just returned from a really wonderful trip to my favorite island - 8 nights in Poipu. Thought I'd give you some info from our trip in hopes that it helps with your vacation planning - I've gotten so many great tips for mine from this board.
We got a good deal on airfare SF to Kauai direct - $421 per person, I think I just got lucky on a sale since the rates had been $600-$700. The flight was uneventful and on time - the best kind! Better still, I was a winner on the guess the midpoint contest and won a bottle of wine - great way to start the vacation! Also got a great car rate - full size car for $217 including tax, etc. for 8 days! It was from Alamo and I combined it with an Entertainment Card coupon.

While I was getting the car my husband starting talking with a family who used to live on the island or stayed there a lot, not sure which, and they told him about Hamura restaurant. That's where we headed as soon as we loaded the luggage for some great saiman (noodles in broth)with skewers of BBQ chicken and beef on the side. We also bought a whole Lilikouli (sp?) pie to take to our condo- it's a passion fruit pie that is similar to a key lime pie. Excellent and very reasonable lunch - Also, we met friendly people at the counter, including the family who told us about it. Great experience.

After that we headed to Poipu, blue skies, a little breeze -- perfect day! Normally we stay at Poipu Kapili, which we love, but they were booked so we decided to splurge and try Whalers Cove since it gets such consistently rave reviews.
CONDO INFO
We picked up our keys from Suite Paradise - big disappointment - I'd requested bldg 1 at Whalers Cove, but I got Bldg 2. If you are picky about your views, this makes a difference. If you're not, you will be happy with either bldg. They told me that I could have guaranteed bldg 1 if I had payed a little extra (12% ... that is not a little, these are expensive condos), but I would have done that had I known. I thought they managed a lot of condos there, but it turns out that it is only 3 of them. That can make a difference for flexibility. We get to the condo and I am disappointed. I am still mad about the bldg thing. The condo is nice and comfortable, but not luxuriously appointed. Since every condo is individually owned this will be true no matter where you rent. It was well equipped, but just didn't have the pizazz that the condos on the Whalers Cove website have (different management company). A big thing was that the view is partially obstructed by the building in front of it. To get the full on view, you have to go outside. Also, the building obstructed our sunset view from our lanai. You can still go out in front of bldg 1 and see the view, but it just was not what I expected. The view from the master bdrm is really great. That night we discovered that the sheets were very scratchy. Turns out they were new sheets, probably hadn't been washed enough times yet - I had them bring over more sheets, but same thing.
While there, I checked out some of the other condos in the Whalers Cove. I liked the 2nd floor (I think 1st floor is the same layout) condos in the 1st building. The view is positively breathtaking and from some units you can probably see sunrise and sunset. The 3rd floor is a 2 story townhouse arrangement, same square footage, but it feels a bit smaller. The bedrooms are both upstairs and next to each other with bathrooms en suite. One bdrm is oceanfront, the other is not. It has a 1/2 bath downstairs. The 1 story floorplan has the master oceanfront, the other bdrm in the back with a bathroom next to it, but also accessible through the bedroom. I was surprised that the units I viewed both had leather sofas. I would think they might get a lot of damage from people sitting on them with suntan oils, etc. but they looked great, very beautiful decor, kind of plantation style elegance. My husband likedd Whalers Cove a lot, especially the security: locked entrance to pool, which leads to all patios and balconies for both bldgs. My son and I think we prefer Poipu Kapili, even with the road in front. It is walking distance to Poipu Beach, the 2 bdrm townhouses are bigger -- 1800 sq ft vs about 1300 and they are cheaper and also nicely furnished, at least the ones that I have stayed in. That said, since each is individually owned, I'm sure that some are better and some are worse, just like Whalers Cove. If I went to WC again, I would probably pay the extra money and go through WC direct since they have more units under their control and they seem to have very high standards for the condos. Also, they offer daily maid service if that is important to you. Suite Paradise offers no maid service, even mid-week cleanup but you can pay extra and have it.
Ok enough about condos! Next is food here are our reviews:
First the bad news: For those of you who don't know, Pacific Cafe is closed. This is my favorite restaurant on the island. By far. They may re-open in June at a new location on the beach in Kapaa, but it's not really certain.

Roys: Excellent, fabulous, as usual. Pricey, no view, but I don't care, I love it there.

Puttaya Asian food - it's also in Poipu Village, near Roys. Good Thai food, reasonable. Loved the chicken curry. The black bean sauce shrimp was the only disappointment, but it was ok.

Big Save Market in Koloa: We had many lunches of sushi and Hawaiian poke from this market that we took back to the condo to devour. The poke is cubes of raw tuna in a marinade of sesame oil, sesame seeds, some green onion among other things. The spicy tuna handrolls from their sushi counter were wonderful.
Keokis: A disappointment this time around. It was really loud, hard to hear each other, the food was ok, but the prices were near Roys without the quality of the food. I don't think we will return.
Beach House: I'm not the biggest fan of the beach house, but we went anyway, craving the fabulous sunset view there. We had a great meal - wonton appetizer, great entrees - fish for us, plum sauce chicken for my son, and a really wonderful carmelized banana and ice cream dessert. Service was ok, not great. Our server was good and knowledgeable, but it took forever to get dishes cleared, then at the end, scooping up dessert dishes before we were finished. Oh well.
Puka Dog - a hot dog place in Poipu Village. Son was dying to try this. They were good - hot dogs in a special bun with tropical salsa. I thought they were overpriced - $6 each ... after all, it is a hot dog we're talking about!
Gaylords: Had a great lunch here and enjoyed looking at the shops, service was beyond slow and we were beyond hungry - apparently they had run out of buns for the pork sandwich and had to go get some more ... they bought us a round of drinks to apologize. Very nice.
Hyatt: We went to the Hyatt for dinner one night - we planned to go to the Ilima Terrace, but we had so much fun enjoying the Hula Show, that we ended up eating appetizers outside while watching the show and taking in the sunset. Another day we ate at the Hyatt pool restaurant for lunch - it's just a self service place, but we ordered grilled fish sandwiches (blackened marlin) which were really excellent!
Waimea Brewing Co: Great beer, great pork sandwiches and hamburgers. A good stopping place before or after a trip to the canyon.
JoJos shave ice: The best on the island!
Poipu fruit stand: there is a produce stand on the way to Koloa from Poipu. It is open Wed-Sat and farmers bring in their produce. We had some great fresh corn and also the best, most flavorful fruits from there. We also bought a fresh coconut there which they opened for us with a huge machete.
Activities: We did our usual ... talked about taking a whale watching cruise or catamaran cruise or snorkel excursion, but then we just enjoy hanging out reading books, going to the beach too much to do anything else. My son enjoyed boogie boarding at Poipu Beach (5 min drive from Whalers) and we all enjoyed morning walks up to Spouting Horn or over to Poipu Beach. One day we drove up to Hanalei and ended up taking part of Kalalau Trail. We had not planned to hike that day and I did not bring the right shoes or water. Still, people told us that you could hike up 1/2 mile for an incredible view of the Na Pali coast line. Well, 1/2 mile, that's no problem .. so we thought. Luckily, my husband had another pair of Tevas in the car that just happened to fit me. The trail was a rocky, uphill for the whole half mile. We were rewarded with a spectacular view after much huffing and puffing. My husband did trip and fall once, and later coming down the steep trail, hit a rock and ripped off his toenail on the little toe. Ouch!! I would recommend tennis shoes rather than tivas in the future! The view was spectacular and next time we will try a hike to the Hanakapi'ai Falls.
We were also fortunate to see Waimea canyon on a clear day and went up to Kalalau lookout which is often shrouded in fog. We saw another fabulous view of the Na Pali just before the clouds rolled in. We also visited the Kokee Museum, tiny but interesting and numerous great view stopping points.
Shopping: There's not a lot of shopping on Poipu, maybe more in Kapaa, but we were content with little trinkets. One tip for those of you with kids who are fans of surf and skateboard type shirts. There are several stores that feature Volcom or Quicksilver tee shirts and rash guards that have unique Hawaii designs. Hyatt has a large selection and we also found a good selection at a surf store in Hanalei at Ching Young Village.
When our 9 days were up, we spent our last 10 minutes soaking up the sun on the lanai before we had to leave. We did not have even 1 rainy day while we were there! Definitely my favorite island, I can't wait to return.
Old Feb 27th, 2005, 06:03 PM

Thanks for the report ellenbw. We must have been in Kauai the same time, however, we spent our trip on the north shore. We did one day trip to Poipu and Spouting Horn and it is truly amazing the difference between the two shores. I have been to Kauai many times now and I am convinced the only way to see the island is to stay on both the north and south shores. I frankly hate the traffic between the two. I am a north shore person. I love Hanalei, Anini Beach, the Princeville Hotel (and the view it has of Bali Hai). We stayed in the Cliff's Club in Princeville. We kayaked the Hanalei river and absolutely enjoyed it. We dined at the Princeville and loved its glory. Anini Beach is tranquil and perfect for families with small children. I have never stayed at the South Shore and think I must next time. I know the south shore has the better restaurants but I enjoy the lushness of the north shore. I love Roy's but now that we have one in So. Calif. I don't need to make the drive to Poipu. We also did not make the trek to Waimea Canyon since we have seen it several times in the past. I highly recommend to all those wanting to experience Kauai, to stay on both shores during your visit.
The island has so much to offer!
Old Feb 27th, 2005, 07:38 PM

Aloha ellenbw,

Great report! Just now planning a Kauai getaway late June/July... we've booked 2 weeks in a great villa on the north shore and are looking into another week in Poipu...

Thanks for all the great ideas... I've looked into a few condos on the south shore and now I think I'll have to check into Poipu Kapili.

Many mahalos!
Old Feb 28th, 2005, 08:51 AM

Thank you for the great report. I am sitting here in NY waiting for the "big snow" to arrive and dreaming about my July trip to Kauai. Thank you for the good restaurant tips.
Old Feb 28th, 2005, 09:47 AM

Thanks Ellen for the great trip report! Making notes of the restaurant tips for our honeymoon to Kauai this October.

-Sandra
216 days til
Old Feb 28th, 2005, 10:08 AM

ellenbw-

We are going at the end of May and are trying to decide where to stay North Shore or South Shore. We are leaning towards North Shore because some folks have said it will be too hot on south shore and the water is not as nice and clear during this time of year. Any advice?
Old Feb 28th, 2005, 12:18 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all for the comments! Kauai is one of my favorite places, ever!

Bethjb1: The south tends to have calmer beaches in the winter and the north has calmer beaches in the summer. I think the water is beautiful in both areas but if it is getting churned up then it may appear cloudy. I don't think that it will be too hot in the south although Waimea always seems to be warmer. I think that the north is definitely more beautiful,lush and tropical, but the south is really beautiful, too. In Aug or Sept, I would definitely opt for the North. You might check out the book, Ultimate Kauai for extended descriptions of both areas. We went once in early May, about 6 yrs ago, stayed in the south and it was not too hot, but it was raining in Princeville when we visited. Even so, the rain won't spoil your trip. Depending on how long you plan to stay, you might want to split your trip between the two areas. Some stay in the eastern part and then 'commute' depending on weather and itinerary. I did this once but didn't prefer it since we always seemed to be driving somewhere. I prefer to stay somewhere that has a beach I can walk to or drive to just a few minutes. Hope that helps - either way, you can't go wrong in Kauai!
Old Feb 28th, 2005, 02:39 PM
Kal

Mucho Mahalos, ellenbw!!!

I can smell it!

You know in all the times I been over, I've NEVER had room to have a piece of Lilikoi pie at "Hammy's"! Extra large special w/ 3-4 chick/beef teri stix seem to fill me up a bit.

Now, HULA PIE, otoh!!!!><

Nice to hear the nui nachos at Waimea Brew Co are still onoliscious! Missed that place this year.

As for the Pac Cafe, the latest rumor I heard from a FFF currently on Kauai is now supposed to re-open in Poipu??? Hopefully the lovely and nightingale voiced Auntie Marie will keep us all posted on the when/where.

It's really easy to get "Kauai Fever" when you're there, yah?

We didn't do a darn thing for the 3 weeks we were there or else I'd do a Trip Report!

Old Feb 28th, 2005, 02:52 PM
Eva

Hey Laura--I am sitting here in Massachusetts dreaming about my July trip to Hawaii while waiting for the big snow to arrive. They are saying 12-18 inches for my area.
aaaarghhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Feb 28th, 2005, 03:06 PM
gyppielou

Eva? Why would you go to Hawaii in July when the weather is so glorious here in Boston and the surrounding summer spots?!?!?!?!?!

If I had a dollar for every time I answered that question.....like if you have to ask you can't afford it ---- if you have to ask you don't get hawaii!!! Have a lovely storm, we're hunkered down in Sharon dreaming about Hanalei in August! GOOD TIMES!!! Great report ellenbw!!!

Old Feb 28th, 2005, 03:11 PM
Kal

g'lou...

Hanalei in August!!!

"Summerrrrrrrtiiiimmeee and the livin' is eaaasssssy..."

Can't yah just smell it in yer bones!?!
Old Feb 28th, 2005, 04:14 PM
Eva

Gyppielou--I have to go in July because that is when school gets out! But as you said--Hawaii is glorious any time (actually this is my first trip and I can't wait!!!).

I am really not into this storm-- tired of shovelling, another day added to the end of the school year...
but I still have Hawaii to look forward to...

I am reading EVERY Hawaii post now. Maybe I'll use tomorrows "snow day" to print out a bunch of the advice here. Should I just read the "Kal" posts? After all we are going to Kauai...
Old Feb 28th, 2005, 05:28 PM

Eva: I am a teacher, and I must live in your area, because that sounds like our forecast for tonight! You will love Hawaii in the summer...we went last August and are returning this August.

Ellen: Thanks for your wonderful trip report. We are going to Kauai for the fist time in Aug...staying at a condo on the North Shore for 5 nights, and the Hyatt on the South Shore for 3 nights. Can't wait
Old Feb 28th, 2005, 08:03 PM

Dumb question. How do you insert the smiley,rainbows, etc. icons in your posts, and where do they come from? Is this from the Fodors site?
Old Feb 28th, 2005, 09:49 PM

Kal,

Can I smell it in my bones?? You've been out in the sun too long...

love
roxy
Old Mar 1st, 2005, 01:40 AM

((&))
http://www.fodors.com/forums/smileys/
Old Mar 1st, 2005, 02:21 AM

What is the "guess the midpoint" contest????
Old Mar 1st, 2005, 11:55 AM

Hope this works.
Old Mar 1st, 2005, 04:21 PM
Original Poster

Intrepid1: The midpoint contest is on United Airlines and they tell you how long the flight takes (time) when they took off, how many knots (1st half, 2nd half of flight, flying speed (1st half, 2nd half) and then you guess/calculate when (hr/min/sec) you will reach the actual midpoint. It's just a fun way to pass the time. They award the 3 closest winners with some goodie.