Search

Kauai Traffic Memorial Day Weekend

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14th, 2008, 11:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kauai Traffic Memorial Day Weekend

Auntiemaria?

We arrive Saturday May 24 and will stay in Poipu at the Sheraton for 5 days, looking foward to listening to Auntie on the radio!

Should we save our excursions to the N. Shore for Tuesday or Wednesday, or will the holiday weekend be more traffic-free?

We have never had a chance to hike much in Waimea cyn. so we are looking forward to that - I'm wondering if it will be busy on a holiday weekend, hard to park?

Where I'm from in So. Cal., holiday weekends are tough ones for driving about and doing things.

I haven't checked the local calendars yet, any suggestions about good places to hear traditional music are welcome...

Mahalo
Old Feb 14th, 2008, 06:46 PM

Local families head to the beaches, parks and campgrounds on the long holiday weekends -- plan your trip to the north shore for mid-week.

There's lots of space to spread out at Waimea Canyon/Koke`e...no worries about crowds there.

We avoid beaches on holiday weekends, and if we need to run to Lihu`e/Kapa`a for anything, we do it EARLY morning (7am or so) so we can be home by noon.

Have a great visit!
Old Feb 14th, 2008, 07:36 PM
kealalani

Aloha Auntie,

Funny, I would definately spend a Memorial Day day at Polihale. Everytrip, I make a point of spending a quiet day midweek and then a local family day on the weekends. I like the ying/yang of both atmospheres on one of the worlds most beautiful beaches. So for one of your weekend days, I would do a morning hike at Waimea and then head west to Polihale for the afternoon, with a cooler of cold cold water!

But that's just me!

Safe journey!

Old Feb 15th, 2008, 10:31 AM
Original Poster

Mahalo!

We have never been to Polihale, thanks for the suggestion, Kealalani.
Old Feb 15th, 2008, 01:58 PM

If you decide to drive to Polihale be prepared. It's a fairly long dirt access road that has HUGE ruts. Not to much of a problem for locals with large tire trucks, but be careful you don't high center your rental.

Also, don't leave anything valuable in your car while at the beach. Just in case!
Old Feb 15th, 2008, 07:58 PM
kealalani

NW makes a good point. I have been lucky to travel the looooong dirt/gravel road many times. Mostly the road was graded very well, they do try to keep up with it. Once or twice not so much, but I am patient and steadfast in my driving. There have been times that the road has been closed. In May you should be fine.

The same could be said about the beaches past the Hyatt in Poipu. Some trips have been a breeze and others, not so much.

As always, discuss ocean and hiking safety with your travel companions.

Old Feb 16th, 2008, 12:19 AM

aloha lani, next time you wanna go to polihale, lemme know, we'll pulehu fish and go quadding. closed road or not, there's more ways to get there.
Old Feb 16th, 2008, 07:49 PM
kealalani

woooohoooo I'm ganna hang local with aka and ohana and grill fish and quad!!!

maybe even help tow silly hoale tourists out of the sand! oh that would be so much fun indeed aka! When I get my return on the books, I will remind you of this most gracious offer!

Alooooha and warmest wishes from 17 degreesF areaking cold outside!