Kauai shopping - Help!

Search

Kauai shopping - Help!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3rd, 2007, 02:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kauai shopping - Help!

Hi I need some quick help. We are having a wonderful trip in Kauai, thanks to all the help from Fodorites. I can't believe we have only 2 days left. Anyway, I am hoping I can get some suggestions for places to shop for souvenirs (for my daughter's frinds) and some inexpensive local-made jewellery. We will be in the North shore area tomorrow & In/around Poipu on Wednesday.
We really enjoyed Tunnels Beach, which is the one beach on the North Shore we check out tomorrow besides Anini?
A quick response would be appreciated, please help out Fodorites. I promise I will post a TR when I return. Thanks.
Old Jul 3rd, 2007, 04:08 AM
iceeu2

Walmart is great for your souvenirs. And right at the corner of Koloa Road and Hwy 50 is the Hawaiian Trading Post for your jewelry. Venture on up the road and go into the plantation where Gaylord's is and you may find something Kauai made....

If the Kauai Products Fair is going on in Kapa'a, there are a few vendors with some neat items.

aloha

Old Jul 3rd, 2007, 10:07 AM

While in Poipu check out the stalls at Spouting Horn for gifts. Your daughters can get their friends little pearl bracelets for 3 dollars. Lots of cute inexpensive stuff and MUCH nicer than being in a Walmart.
When you get to the detour stay to the right and it will take you straight to Spouting Horn.

In the Northshore you must check out Ke'e beach. You really shouldn't leave without a stop there. Also Hideways is lovely. The trail is right next to the parking lot just before the Princeville hotel. It's a little steep so don't bring too much with you.
Old Jul 3rd, 2007, 10:21 AM

Not sure if you bring foodstuffs home as souvenirs....yesterday my friends brought a bag of Papa'a chips from Kapa'a. It's a little company run by a grouchy old man. The chips we had were good; they said the taro chips were really good. Here's the joke for you K-9s: We all looked at each other and said, "Where IS Kapaa, anyway?!"
Old Jul 3rd, 2007, 11:01 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions, we did make a stop at Walmart already but we are looking more for jewellery / clothing. Will check out the stalls at Spouting Horn tomorrow. Do they reduce prices or is the listed price what you pay? Any other suggestions for stores along the way to the North Shore? What about in Kapaa or Lihue?
Is Secret Beach better or Hideaway?Thanks again!
Old Jul 3rd, 2007, 01:37 PM

ABC stores are good for stuff like Macadamia nuts, etc. and they are all over.
Old Jul 3rd, 2007, 11:04 PM

how about some red dirt shirts for something truly "kauai"? there's a bright yellow original red dirt shirt store in kapaa, off kuhio hway. it's a bright yellow stand alone structure where the Kauai Products Fair is located on Th,Sat&Sun (? double check the days) for jewelry, the stalls at spouting horn sell some real, fine jewelry of pearls and 14K gold. there are some that are created by a local hawaiian whose name i could not remember at the moment - it's an Asian guy. Gaylord also has a nice fine jewelry store on the second floor of the main house. they have a counter that's all "clearance" items. the prices on these pieces are more reasonable and they also have some pieces created by some local jewelry designers. good luck and happy shopping!
Old Jul 4th, 2007, 03:55 PM

How about Hilo Hatties in Lihue?