Kauai restaurant recommendations

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 08:42 AM
Iza

Kauai restaurant recommendations

There were a couple of really good threads on this topic in the last few months but now I cannot find them.
Need recommendations for the best "splurge" dinners, for good everyday dinner places, preferably inexpensive, for good local places. We will have one child with us (9 year old) who is not a very adventurous eater. The adults in the group like ethnic foods and are willing to try anything new.

If anyone can find and bring up the old threads on Kauai places to eat it would also be greatly appreciated.

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 09:09 AM
Sarah

Iza Roy's is a must but the atmosphere is lacking. I have never been disatisfied with a Roy's anywhere. Beach House is good for view but many say the food is not great. I do think we have higher standards if you are close to NYC. I fine I am rarely wowed by restaurants dining on Kauai. Oahu is entirely different ball of wax but Kauai is just so so.

Lza what you will be wowed by is the tuna on Kauai. ...Red and thick beautiful quality. Same goes for fresh produce, lomi salmon, not so fresh lau lau chicken you can buy frozen in the grocery. Taro wrapped around pork or chicken then small piece of fish, fat and then tea leaf. Yum you have to try this along with poi, coconut pudding, fresh papaya, mango, apple bananas.

I love steamed taro made from fresh leaves but you have to cook for about 1- 2 hours or it omits this extreemly acidic liquid that can make you sick.

Are you doing Smith's Tropical Lau?

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 09:09 AM
ssss

or is that lua

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 09:49 AM
LL

Cafe Portofino in Lihue in Excellent!! It is Italian - has an indoor dining room or outside deck overlooking the Lihue bay. The BEST Italian food we have ever had and great atmosphere! We went on our Honeymoon in May 2001 and have told friends to go since and all have enjoyed it!

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 09:52 AM
Iza

Sarah, thanks for the tips.
We are debating wether to do the Smith's Luau - I just checked their website this morning and it looks so touristy and rather tacky! I guess we'll wait until we get there and then decide.
Only 11 days left! I really can't wait.

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 10:43 AM
burta

A local favorite is Hamura Saimin in Lihue. It's an old-fashioned noodle shop with stools around a counter. The noodles are so good that locals order them to take back with them to other islands.

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 11:17 AM
kal

Aloha all,
Another vote for Hamura's! The saimin special and a couple of sides of teriyaki sticks can make your day.

As for others, Ono Burger outside of Anahola near King Kong...great burgers.
I keep forgetting about El Norberto's Cafe ("The El") in Kapaa across from Beazer's. Taro enchiladas.
Wake Up Cafe in Hanalei.
The Burger Hut down in between Dukes, JJs and Cafe Portofino.

We still think about the lobster raviolis at Coconuts in Kapaa. Major yum!
Lemon Grass has a good diverse menu, too. Sushi rivals Kintaros.
Wailua Family restaurant is an old Sizzler and they put of good family fare.
Tim's Aussie BBQ shares a pkg lot w/ Wailua. Excellent Q! The So'Western mac and cheese...hoooo boy...I better get on my bike to start training for it right now!

Bull Shed was still serving good beef and you're right on the ocean.
Then there's the west side and "The Brick!"
160 mo' days.
Kal

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 11:30 AM
Sarah

yeah I am going back and forth on that one too. You have to know it will be commercial but if you explain that to your child and go for the hoot of it no harm. I feel that I have to take my niece to Kauai Museum first show her something of Hawaiian culture. Be very clear to her that this is a commercial experience and also reflective of other polynesian cultures. But that is just me wanting to pound in the perfect experience. Teacher in me just comes out.

You are leaving on 17th? There is an aloha festival event in Wailua on the 17th, should have some authentic pagentry. Don't know if there will be a small parade with it but when they do have this you will see horse with giant leis around there necks carrying women in long dresses with capes. Check out GoHawaii.com. Are you doing any of the free guided tours at Kokee? The waimea canyon trail is one of the better hikes in the park according to Ultimate guide. This is on the 11th. You want to put in for the guided hikes at Kilauea lighthouse before you leave, summer being such a busy time. The lighthouse is beautiful but we felt that we missed out last summer when we did not book in advance for the tours, only way to access refuge larger grounds.

Last, might want to take your 9 year old to Lilo and stitch it is suppose to take place on Kauai. I have not seen so I can't comment on quality. On review said keep your eyes peeled for Hanalei Bay Resort Lobby and shave ice.

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 11:32 AM
Sarah

Kal I hate putting this out there but who has the most American mainland menus? I have picky eaters with me also.

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 11:40 AM
caroline

Postcards in Hanalei is great. It would fit in the splurge category.

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 11:41 AM
xxx

http://www.kauaimenu.com if you want details on food and prices

Keoki's paradise might be fun for your child

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 11:46 AM
xxx

I don't see Zelo's in Hanalei or Roy's in Poipu so that menu.com is limitted.

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 11:50 AM
xxx

Anybody know if Princeville still has a great seafood buffet on Friday's. Or is it not worth the 50 dollar pop?

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 12:30 PM
kal

Sarah,
Would I be a [email protected]#$ if I said Pizza Hut, Burger King and McD's?

I think most of the local menus offer a burger, pasta or chicken dish for kids.

There are a few places in the Coconut Marketplace, too. Aloha Pizza and Eggbert's. Harley's Chick/Ribs-when he's open and not surfin'-riding his Harley. I heard Buzz's closed down.

Kal

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 12:42 PM
Sarah

No Kal I am equally frustrated and have made similar comments. My sister said to me last year on day 4 of a two week stay I don't want another dish with any soy sauce or ginger in it. So we cooked. Good for me because I am never pampered in this way but also kind of boring as my sister also thinks cilantro is a weird spice. She is ok with dill though yeah! I have to laugh. I do love my country folk sister. I guess it is more important to me to show her a good time.

Have you been to Keiki's Paradise Kal?

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 12:54 PM
kal

Keoki's Paradise?
If so, yes. We like it. Been there 4-5 times over the years.
HULA PIE !!!!!

Nice bar if you just want pupus and "beverages". Nice setting, too.

I believe it's owned by the same co. that owns Dukes at the Marriott.
Kal

ps...Cilantro-sorry but yuck! Tastes like rust!

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 01:00 PM
Sarah

What is hula pie yes it is Keoki's. I think it owns dukes in Waikiki also.

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 01:15 PM
kal

Hula Pie is heaven!
Hard to describe but it's a BIG hunk of ice cream "cake" with hard chocolate outside, vanilla bean ice cream and other ingredients, nuts, choc syrup, coconut, etc all over.

It can be safely split amongst 3-4 people. Unless you're my bro-in-law!
Kinda like a Baskin-Robins ice cream cake...only bigger.
Kal

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 01:16 PM
Iza

Sarah, we saw Lilo & Stich last week - it was really fun. It does take place in Kauai which we didn't know or expect going in, so it was really exciting once we realized it. The drawings actually looked quite authentic, with small details that made you think that the animators must have gone there to get that kind of detail (there were one lane bridges and shave ice!). Of course I did not recognize any of the places it being our first time to Hawaii but I figured out that it took place in Hanalei.
We are ariving on the 3rd and leaving on the 17th in the evening so we may be able to catch some of the Aloha Festival. But I don't think we'll do the hike in Kokee on the 11th since we'll be on the North Shore by then (I was planning to do all of the "west shore stuff" during our first week from Poipu so as to avoid too much driving).
Kal, keep the restaurant recommendations coming, you are such a great source of information with local flavor!

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 01:17 PM
sss

so you think we could pick one up and drive to Hanalei with it over some dry ice or is that pushing it. We are only three and one of us is 9 two more of us are meek eating woman

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

FODOR'S VIDEO