Search

Kauai questions

Search this Thread

Old May 26th, 2003, 06:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kauai questions

We're interested in great beaches and excellent food. We've been to Maui and are wondering if our next trip should be to Kauai? Are Kauai's restaurants as good as Maui's?
Also, is it very windy in Poipu? I've seen the beautiful pictures of the beach, but it always looks windy. When we were in Maui, we stayed in Kapalua and it was pleasant and never extremely windy.
Old May 26th, 2003, 07:05 PM

I have put together some of my personal Kauai info. I travel there every year from Pa. Drop me a line if you would like me to email it to you.
Old May 27th, 2003, 03:39 AM

When my wife and I have visited Poipu Beach for the past 3 years in February or March, there wasn't any noticeable wind there-we tend to go to Poipu Beach when other Beaches up North (e.g. Kee Beach) are too rough. There are less retaurants to choose from on Kauai vs Maui, our personal favorite is the Beachhouse restaruant for sunset dinner, near Poipu Beach, suggest reservation in advance. Also suggest Friday night seafood buffet at Princeville Hotel (many restaurants to choose from in P'ville hotel, also good for sunset). Surf & turf, you will love Kauai!
Old May 27th, 2003, 10:48 AM

You have very few dining choices on Kauai. Maui has more and better restaurants. My opinion is they are all overpriced...you're better off renting a condo and cooking your own meals. Poipu beach was not winding when I was there in late March.
Old May 27th, 2003, 10:54 AM

Depending on what you want to spend there are good restaurants in Kauai.
Poipu Area:
Beach House
Roys
TidePools at the Hyatt
Brenneke's was very good the night we went but I see mixed reviews here.

We didn't really notice any difference in the weather between north and south in Sept.
Old Jun 9th, 2003, 04:51 PM
Original Poster

Would we be better off trying the BI instead of Kauai? Is Kauai similar to Maui? I've heard the scenery in Kauai is more beautiful than Maui, but I wonder if Kauai might be too secluded. Is it not that crowded on the BI either? We enjoyed Maui very much because it wasn't too crowded, but not that secluded.
Or might the BI be disappointing since I've heard the beaches aren't as nice (they're rockier) and there's not as much to do? I don't want to island hop, so it's one choice over another for the time being.
Old Jun 9th, 2003, 05:33 PM

Hapuna beach on the Big Island is not rocky and is amazing! There are more similar spots. Big Island has more food options. There is great beauty on the Big Island. Everything is just more of a drive.

Kauai is beautiful, but secluded. Not as many food options. We lived there and my husband hated how quiet it was and that everything closed early. I enjoyed it.
Old Jun 10th, 2003, 04:09 AM

The main difference between Kauai and the Big Island is that the Big Island is much bigger. Kauai is similar to Maui in terms of having pristine tropical areas that involve more rugged hiking on Kauai than Maui. Kauai's beaches are large and sandy and easily accessible. The Big Island has sandy beaches, but they are separated in distance and you will have to do more driving if you want to experience different beaches. Best way to experience beach on B.I. is to stay at a resort that has it's own beach. The main attraction to the Big Island in my opinion is the readily accessible active volcano that often produces active red hot lava flows that you can walk up to in Volcanoes National Park. Snorkeling is good on both Kauai and B.I., but the Big Island had very clear water near the Captain Cook Monument area, when we were there in March 2003. Both Big Island and Kauai are less crowded than Maui. If you like secluded sandy beaches and rugged hiking in tropical areas choose Kauai. If you want to experience an island with an active volcano and unique scenery try the Big Island. Both are excellent!