Search

Kauai pics

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15th, 2007, 07:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kauai pics

Got so much help and feedback from this board in planning our trip to Kauai, thought I would share some of our pictures for anyone interested. Hope you enjoy.

http://share.shutterfly.com/action/w...8AYsWjNi0ZNn4A
Old Mar 15th, 2007, 07:59 AM

Your pictures are really amazing. I love the turtle photos!
Old Mar 15th, 2007, 08:06 AM
lvk

I also think they are amazing. What kind of underwater camera did you use? Did you enhance them afterwards on Photoshop? They are so sharp and colorful.

Thanks for sharing.
Old Mar 15th, 2007, 08:09 AM

Wow.

You're undersea shots are some of the best I've seen.

Very, very nice indeed.

Ken
Old Mar 15th, 2007, 08:18 AM

JarredK:
Thanks for sharing your pictures. Have to agree with the turtle pictures they were my favorite too
Gina
Old Mar 15th, 2007, 08:56 AM

Thanks for sharing those beautiful pictures.
Kauai is on our short travel list and these pictures really make me want to go.
Old Mar 15th, 2007, 09:05 AM

The photos are lovely. Can you recommend a scuba operator, we're going to Kauai beginning of May.
Old Mar 15th, 2007, 09:16 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the comments. Turtle shots are just too easy in Hawaii. They just seem to love the spotlight. I literally thought some turtles were pushing others out of the way to get in front of my lens.

lvk: I have an Olympus C-7070 digital (discontinued model) with Ikelite housing and strobe. I shoot in RAW so I have to use a photoediting tool to at least whitebalance the shots. Aside from whitebalance, most of the shots are tweaked very little, though.

Odin - we used Bubbles Below and I just have to say that, in 10+ years of diving, they were one of the best operators we've ever had. Very personal, interactive and safety-conscious. Joe, specifically, really went out of his way to make sure you were comfortable and enjoyed the ride.
Old Mar 15th, 2007, 10:31 AM

Mahalo JarredK for the greats with awesome underwater color. Whereabouts did you see the whitetip?
Old Mar 15th, 2007, 10:48 AM
iceeu2

Awesome, stunning, splendid photos. Will you explain to me what is happening in photos joe1 & joe2?

We will be on Kauai starting April 1st, and you photos just sent shivers up my spine.

i'2

Old Mar 15th, 2007, 11:41 AM
Original Poster

JohnD - thanks. I believe the whitetip was either around Sheraton Caverns or Turtle's Bluff, but I could be mistaken. He was in a small cave right before the shot was taken. I believe he frequents the cave because the dm appeared to have a good idea beforehand where to find him.

iceeu2 - Can you think of a better, cheaper or fresher way to get a shrimp cocktail in Kauai? If you can, I'm all ears Just kidding - of course. Joe1 and Joe2 are pics (with lots of crappy backscatter) of Joe (the divemaster from Bubbles Below) demonstrating how to get your teeth cleaned for those without a dental plan. He took his regulator out of his mouth, opened wide and the cleaner shrimp crawled right in and went to work. I'm sure they don't get too many humans coming into their cleaning station, but he seemed like a desperate shrimp and was not in a position to put down work.

IMHO - it'll probably do the job, but I'll stick with a good dentist.
Old Mar 15th, 2007, 11:47 AM
lvk

Jarred,

I'll bet that shrimp was more gentle than my sadistic hygenist! >

Forgive my ignorance, but that Olympus is an underwater camera, or is it in some kind of casing?
Old Mar 15th, 2007, 12:19 PM
wug

Wow, awesome pics. We're heading there for the first time in two months. We CAN't wait!! These really make me want to be there now!!

Where did you stay. We're getting a condo right on the cliff with incredible views in Princeville.
Old Mar 15th, 2007, 01:10 PM
Original Poster

lvk - camera is a normal digital camera (same camera that I used for the topside photos) that I put in an underwater casing. The camera is now discontinued but ran about $300 new and now, if you're lucky, you can pick one up on E-bay for $500 or more. How does a two-year old discontinued camera increase so much in price you ask? Product of two things: 1) quality camera that gained a good reputation amongst underwater photographers and 2) once you buy an u/w case (approx. $300), strobe (approx. $300), wide angle lens and dome (approx $300), all of which can only be used with the C-7070, and the camera floods or is otherwise destroyed, you would rather pay $500 to replace it on ebay than trash your investment and buy a totally new system.

wug - Princeville is gorgeous, you'll love it. We opted for the better chance for sunshine in Poipu and stayed at the Sheraton.
Old Mar 15th, 2007, 03:05 PM

Super pictures! Thanks for posting them!
Old Mar 15th, 2007, 04:25 PM

LOVE the photos - especially the turtles. Please let me know where you had your most successful turtle sightings - we're headed to Kauai in September and turtles are my favorite!

Thanks for posting your great photos!
Old Mar 15th, 2007, 07:00 PM

I am in awe of your photos. I wish I had the courage to dive. I've yet to snorkel...LOL

Absolutely stunning photos!

Thanks for sharing.
Old Mar 16th, 2007, 03:30 AM

Thank you for the info on the dive operator, are there any dive sites that you would recommend?
Old Mar 16th, 2007, 10:02 AM
Original Poster

Odin - Other than Sheraton Caverns, Turtle Bluffs and Yellowbrick Road (all of which were good and had great turtle encounters and swim-thrus), I don't remember the names of the dive sites. Supposedly, if you want the best diving in Kauai, push the operator to go to Niihau. I think it's about a 2-hour boat ride from Kauai (conditions permitting) but it is supposed to have some of the best diving in all of Hawaii. As much as we pushed the dm to take us there, the conditions just weren't right. They usually only do this trip from May through Sept.
Old Mar 16th, 2007, 10:18 AM
Original Poster

A little quick on hitting the reply button. Forgot to respond to cm318. I think my last post covered you, though. Finding turtles will be the least of your concerns when you're diving. They were abundant on almost every dive. It all became very ho-hum after a while. If I had to guess, though - based on the name, I would think Turtles Bluff would have an excellent chance for sitings.

sk84fungirl - skip the snorkling, overcome your fears and get into diving. You won't regret it. There's a whole other world down there and it's led to so many great trips and experiences for me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -