Kauai -- Nov. or Feb.?

Old Aug 6th, 2011, 09:29 PM
Original Poster

Kauai -- Nov. or Feb.?

I'm in need of a vacation and am considering a week in Kauai. I've been twice before, once in May and once in July. So I'm not that familiar with conditions during the fall/winter months. What would your preference be? This would mainly be a trip for relaxing, hanging out at the beach, hopefully a good bit of snorkeling. I've done helicopter and boat tours, so that won't be a priority this trip -- I'm just looking to get away without spending a ton of money.

To keep costs down, I'm looking at Sealodge condos, because it looks like I can get one with a great view for around $125/night or less. I'm a bit hesitant to stay in the north (even though I love it), because I've always stayed in the Poipu area, and I thought I might be more comfortable in an area I'm familiar with (this will most likely be a solo trip). Having trouble finding condos in the south in that price range -- one of my musts is that it be oceanfront or unobstructed ocean views (as with Sealodge). Something like Kuhio Shores would be great, since I love to snorkel at Lawai beach in the morning, but those are just a bit more than I want to spend.

Would love to hear your thoughts on time of year and location. Really hoping I'm able to make it back soon!
Old Aug 6th, 2011, 10:08 PM

Snorkeling on the north shore in winter can be a risky proposition as the surf starts kicking up and the currents get dangerous.
Old Aug 6th, 2011, 10:18 PM
Original Poster

That's also one of the reasons I'm hesitant to stay on the north shore. But if the price is right, I may just deal with knowing I'll have to drive to snorkel and not be able to walk out in the morning for a quick pre-breakfast snorkel. The sacrifices I make...
Old Aug 7th, 2011, 03:59 AM

weather2travel.com Climate Guides Feb for me Princeville my fav

In fall I go to the Kohala Coast less than 1 inch of rain there

Hapuna Prince my fave there good packages on priceline...

konaweb.com
Old Aug 7th, 2011, 06:17 AM

I had gorgeous weather during my Jan/Feb stay at Sealodge earlier this year. The previous year during this same period -- lots of rain. I LOVE Sealodge, but can't predict the weather. But typically, snorkeling on the north shore during the winter is not a good prospect.
Old Aug 7th, 2011, 12:10 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the input, all! So it sounds like there's not much difference or preference between November and February, so I'll just go with which month works out best for me. (Hopefully!)
Old Aug 8th, 2011, 12:11 PM

Historically February has a little less rain but November is warmer (including water temps) and cheaper. I've seen places at Kuhio Shores go for around $150/night in November. Here's some weather info:

http://www.hawaiigaga.com/WeatherGuide.aspx#kauai