Search

Kauai Kipu Ranch

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10th, 2006, 12:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kauai Kipu Ranch

OK, just a warning, I'm leaving for Kauai, our favorite place in the world, on the 23rd, and bringing people with us who have never been to Hawaii, let alone Kauai. And they are from England. So...... need I say more? I will be all over this site, like jam on toast, for the next little while. Starting to obsess now about making the perfect trip. I like to obsess before I get there, so it all just "happens" when we get there. Thanks to all, about the weather, and Scotty's BBQ info. My next question is about the Kipu Ranch ATV. Anyone done it? Also, there are 7 of us, and I didn't want an SUV, so we can stick the teens in the back with tinted windows, and no outside air... so, we got two convertables... Any thoughts?
Old Oct 10th, 2006, 12:50 PM
sistahlou

Hey again!

Yes we did the Kipu Ranch tour a few months ago- not the waterfall eating one, the other one. Loved it!!! They are very safety consious which is a good thing, but I would see if you could do a private tour with your large group, to save on the continual safety tips and stopping. It is a really great tour, but to do it again, I would go private for more control over the drivers ed time spent. Definately book it! How often do you get a chance to trek over private lands like this!

Old Oct 10th, 2006, 01:04 PM
Original Poster

sistalou, Great info. On my Oct weather, secret lava pools post, I responded to you, and our not by passing things of beauty, to get to "the spots". Hope I'm using this site right. Hawaii is very special to us, VERY, and we want to chill with the fam from England... but also want to throw in a couple of cool things to treck off course for. I love how everyone protects Hawaii. We can't live or own there, so we bought a time share...Marriott Poipu. 1st time there this year. But, a week is never enough... so, we have a house on Anini. The one we used to rent in Haena, is now 800 + a night. To bad. Soooooo beautiful. Never been to Anini...Thanks for the info!
Old Oct 10th, 2006, 02:34 PM

Have a great trip, am so jealous! Have not yet done the ATV trip, maybe next September.

I think your idea of getting two cars is a good one, that way people can split up if they want to, and prevents getting on one another's nerves.

Scotty's has good ribs, ate there last year. View is terrific.
Old Oct 10th, 2006, 04:22 PM
Original Poster

Why, when I type in Kauai does this post not show up? Only for main US posts. I must be doing it wrong. My other one for weather in Kauai in Oct. comes up there, and I did it the same way. Oh well. Great help on Scotty's. I just want the fam that's never been to go right to lunch, after we land, before we go shop for the rental house.I want instant Kauai/Hawaii open air, view vibe.
Old Oct 10th, 2006, 07:21 PM

Oh I'm so jealous. Kauai is also my favorite place, it was love at first sight, smell, taste etc.

Anyway, we took an ATV tour with Kipu Ranch Adventures and it was the highlight of our trip (that's saying a lot). Our two guides were fantastic, the other guests were visiting from Oahu and were also great fun, but the scenery was to die for. Simply breathtaking and not to be missed. It's worth every penny, and if you have any in your party that can't drive they can ride in the "mule."

Here's a link to my pictures from our trip. The Kipu Ranch pictures start on page 2. Enjoy your trip!

http://travel.webshots.com/album/361...wPMAf?start=12
Old Oct 10th, 2006, 09:20 PM

Hi MJS--we did the Kipu Ranch ATV tour last week. It was definitely fun (although a bit pricey). If you go, be prepared to get really, really dirty. It took me two virgorous showers to feel thoroughly clean again. Your teens would probably love it. I think the fun of this tour is more about tooling around the backcountry in an ATV than it is about what you see per se. Don't get me wrong--Kipu Ranch does have some very nice scenery, but then again, there's nice scenery nearly everywhere on Kauai (that you can see for free) so I probably wouldn't take the tour for that reason alone. Hope this is helpful. Have a great trip!
Old Oct 11th, 2006, 09:01 PM
Original Poster

I got distracted today, and posted andother question for you all re: Kipu ranch... in the wrong place. A newbie... sorry. So, how bumpy is the ATV ride? The three hour one. Bad necks, and backs in the crowd.
Old Oct 11th, 2006, 09:44 PM
meo

It is an excellent ride and very bumpy. Maybe a bit similar to being on a horse in rough terrain - stepping over rocks, etc. When we went, they let us go on a rope swing out over the river - wear swimsuits under your clothes if you want to jump in. You will want to do laundry or pack the dirty clothes away for the rest of the trip. It is so worth the expense and the dust! Kids who aren't 16 ride in the mule (like a jeep) - that is fun, too.
Old Oct 12th, 2006, 03:44 PM

There were some bumpy spots, but nothing too extreme or uncomfortable. Definitely pack some grungy clothes for the trip, items you won't be sad to ruin. If you wear long pants and sleeves you won't have to spend as much time srubbing red dirt off your arms and legs. Also wear some old sneakers or boots.