Search

Kauai in February

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7th, 2011, 04:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kauai in February

Kauai in February??? Good idea or is it raining most of the time? Also if one flies into Lihue; is that a good location for a home base to stay during a vacation? Is it better to rent a car and explore the island? Condo rental or hotel? On a budget and would not like to spend over $150 a night for a place to stay. Which part of the island would be best to stay for sun and a good beach. Not looking to do much just relax and hang out at the beach. Thanks for everyones input.
Old Jun 7th, 2011, 08:15 AM

In February, your best bet weather-wise is the south part of the island - Poipu Beach area. If it does rain, take a drive somewhere else on the island and you'll likely find the sun. It's rainier and the water is rougher in the north in winter.

Condo or hotel - personally, I always prefer a condo. I like to have a living room and kitchen, even if just for a cup of coffee.
Old Jun 7th, 2011, 10:11 AM
jcb

As sf7307 said, definitely Poipu in February.

A car rental is a MUST. Book a car rental that you can cancel, and then keep looking for lower prices. Last trip, I booked through Priceline NYOP, and scored a full size for $10/day. If you don't have a car, you can't go anywhere, and public transportation is limited.

I prefer condos - more room, can be cheaper, option to cook a meal if you decide.
Old Jun 7th, 2011, 10:13 AM

Oh yes, ditto on the car. Must have.
Old Jun 7th, 2011, 10:24 AM

Yes you need a car, last time I used discounthawaiicarrentals.com and got a nice car from Avis.

Agree with the others, Poipu would be best that time of year for maximum sun and just resign yourself to driving to the North Shore and spending all of at least one day on a day when the weather looks good up there.

You may need to up your budget a little for February for a condo since that is high season. Kiahuna Plantation condos are nice and right on a good beach, Kuhio Shores and Poipu Kapili get nice reviews, take a look on vrbo.com.

Not a whole lot of hotels there, Hyatt, Sheraton and Koa Kea is about it.
Old Jun 7th, 2011, 10:42 AM

>>

and the Marriott Waiohai, which is an upscale timeshare resort that is operated like a hotel. We've stayed there -- the condos (they are all two-bedroom, LR, kitchen) are very Marriott-like, but the grounds are gorgeous (the pictures on Trip Advisor are very accurate), and it's right on the beach, next to Koa Kea and Kiahuna.
Old Jun 7th, 2011, 10:49 AM

Although February is the rainy season, it is my preferred month to visit because of the whales. Feb. is peak whale season and seeing them is still one of my greatest all time travel experiences.

Ohio also has really terrible weather in Feb. Another reason to head to Hawaii in Feb.

We had a condo at Makahuena with a lanai that hung out over the water. I had to wipe the salt spray off the lanai every morning---but the whale sightings from that lanai were great. I would head out there in the morning and see at least 10 whales every morning---spouting, tale slapping, breeching. We also had a pod of dolphin swim around the Point--must have been a hundred dolphin. I have never seen that many together.

Be sure and take binoculars--I just had mini ones. Scan the water and look for what seems like a puff of smoke--it's a whale spout. Keep looking in the direction of the spout.

Looking on vrbo.com for condos is a good suggestion.
Old Jun 7th, 2011, 11:18 AM

SF - off topic - but where you able to trade into that property through your Palm Desert week? We would like to go back to Kauai for our next trip to Hawaii... I know.. I am here now...and planning my next one
Old Jun 7th, 2011, 11:20 AM

We were in Poipu Beach Feb 2011 and had fab weather. 1 day of rain but came late in afternoon. One can count some kind of rain during the day but it usually passes over. Whale watching was the best we've ever experienced and this was our 12th trip. we rented through VRBO at Makahuena - unit right on the water w/40ft lanai!
LindainOhio sounds like we rented the same place - Luxury Poipu? The unit had everything, beach towels, chairs, boogie boards, binoculars, etc.This was our 2nd visit to that unit and we love it.
YES a car is necessary on Kauai. Enjoy paradise
Old Jun 7th, 2011, 12:13 PM

Mom, you've got mail.
Old Jun 8th, 2011, 04:23 AM

I had gorgeous weather on the North Shore on my most recent visit -- mid Jan. till mid Feb. The previous year there was lots of rain during that same time period. It's hard to predict. I personally prefer the North Shore. Check out Sealodge condos.