Kauai in April - where to stay?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1st, 2017, 05:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband, 11 year-old daughter and I plan to go to Kauai for a week in April. I am struggling with where to stay. I usually don't have so much trouble! Part of me would like a condo type place, so we have more space and can easily eat breakfast and a few other meals in. But, some of the hotels look like they have fabulous pools that I am sure my daughter would love. We will want to do some hiking, snorkeling and other activities, so I don't want to spend a ton of money on a hotel we won't be at all the time.

I have started thinking that maybe dividing our time up a bit would be best. Perhaps we could stay in a condo for the first part and do more of the active things, and then end with 2-3 nights in a nice hotel.

Does anyone have any recommendations for locations and actual condo rentals? If we end at a hotel with a pool, having a pool isn't essential. It would be nice to be close to a beach, but not a deal breaker.

Thanks for any direction you can give me.
Old Nov 1st, 2017, 06:54 PM

Grand Hyatt Kauai in Poipu
Westin Princeville
Marriott Waiohai
Old Nov 1st, 2017, 08:23 PM

The Grand Hyatt Kauai has amazing pools including a lagoon that is currently under repair. It is on Shipwreck beach which is not really swimmable but there are often surfers there. Rooms are very comfortable with large lanais and good bathrooms. You could stay in a condo on the north shore and finish up at the Grand Hyatt. I am returning to the Grand Hyatt next week and highly recommend it.
Old Nov 2nd, 2017, 02:34 AM
Original Poster

I had my eye on the grand Hyatt as a place to end. If we do that it seems like a condo in Princeville or north would be a better place to locate for the first part. Is it better to be in one spot vs. the other? And, any recommendations of condos in those areas?

Thanks!
Old Nov 3rd, 2017, 06:29 PM

The Grand Hyatt on the south side is beautiful.

Check out Hanalei Bay Resort on the north shore. Get a room with a view. You won't be disappointed. "Stunning" doesn't begin to describe it. There is a beach (shared with St. Regis Hotel). It's down a winding paved path. HBR offers rides down to the beach and back again. Easy to walk down and then just catch a ride back. We rented through Parrish.com.

I would return to both places in a heartbeat.
Old Nov 27th, 2017, 08:14 PM

On Our last visit to Kauai we stayed at our favorite - Poipu Shores and they have a great pool right over the water. it isn't a resort but a great condo complex with everything you might need including beach chairs, beach towels and washer and dryer in unit and walking distance to Poipu Beach. Condos sit right above the ocean.

we also stayed at The Cliffs in Princeville and loved that condo unit as well just make sure you have ocean view. VRBO
Old Nov 28th, 2017, 07:55 PM

Or condo in the south and splurge at St Regis in Princeville??