Reload this Page >

Kauai Hyatt worth the $$?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 07:26 AM
Jane

Is the Hyatt Regency worth the bucks? I got a rate of $355 (garden) using AAA. I have a toddler so I will be spending a fair time in the room and by the pool.

Would you recommend the Marriott or Sheraton instead? Both are ~$125 cheaper?

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 07:37 AM
Sarah

Marriott is nice but I love the Hyatt over the Marriott. I think this is certainly the hotel to stay at if you are confined with kids.

I saw parents with toddlers at dawn with coffee and pastry on the very lovely deck near lobby. Looked like a nice place to cratel a baby that would not sleep. We had the same room, you just want to call and make sure you are facing the pool. Realise that this cuts down on privacy somewhat as a walking path makes its way right in front of rooms. But this was not an issue for us being at the end, sound was never an issue either.

Some nights there is a keiki (child) hula also which would be fun for the entire family. Yeah I think the price jump is worth it. We paid $350 in summer with a AAA discount.

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 11:38 AM
bob

The Hyatt is a great hotel, but IMO $355. is high. The Four Seasons in Maui is a better hotel, and prices start at $330. (the rooms are bigger and better) I think the Hyatt is charging higher prices this year to make up for last year (with low occupancy due to 9/11). Rates in early Dec. (slow time before the holidays) started in the low-mid 200's. That seems like a fair price to me. I would stay at the Sheraton and save the $125., but only if you are at the oceanfront building, not across the street in their garden building. You can also swim in the ocean at the Sheraton where as at the Hyatt the ocean is too rough. At the Sheraton you can also watch spectacular sunsets, at the Hyatt you can't see the sunsets. As far as the Mariott I have never seen that resort.

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 11:44 AM
x

I was there after 911 following August and I paid $350. Bob remember she will be with a small chant. The expanse of the Hyatt will make it a bit more interesting than the Sheraton. She can wander with the baby on paths and in gardens. She will alos have entertainment at the Hyatt.

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 11:44 AM
x

meant to say small baby

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 11:50 AM
joebob

not to be critical, but how does chant replace baby, is their some relation? Is chant a baby in another language? just curious.

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 12:14 PM
x

I was thinking about that me self joe bob. Don' have an answer fer yah.

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 01:43 PM
lori

Jane, We stayed at the Sheraton last Feb with our kids. Great beach. The pool overlooks the ocean. I would however recommend the deluxe ocean room vs the garden as mentioned by a previous poster. At least this way when your
child is napping you can take in the great view.

I enjoyed this hotel for the fact that there were other children there and we didn't feel like we were intruding on anyones "special" vacation.

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 03:18 PM
CC

I just booked the kauai hyatt for this summer. $310 for gardenview. Ask for the Aloha rate. I hope this helps!

Old Jan 16th, 2003, 10:31 AM
sasette

IMHO, the Hyatt is absolutely worth the money: beautiful property and well kept-up grounds, polite and helpful staff, good food, nice spa (albeit the gym is a little small but well appointed), good sized guestrooms with large and rather nice bathrooms, pool area that is fun and relaxing for kids as well as adults, private beach with short walk on the adjoining path to watch glorious sunsets - just all around good juju. I am starting to sound like a brochure so will stop now.

Do note that the "garden" view may in actuality be a "parking lot" view and most if not all rooms are on the side of the hotel NOT facing the pool.

And perhaps no need to upgrade all the way to full ocean view - we stayed in the partial last year and it was wonderful - still had view of the ocean.

Old Jan 16th, 2003, 10:48 AM
travelingal

You have to really search but I was able to get Hyatt Kauai garden w/ breakfast last year for 275/nt through pleasant holidays. IMO it's worth it but depending when you go there may be lots and lots of children. My was overlooking the hotel grounds but it was a long walk to the very last room on the floor.

Old Jan 16th, 2003, 01:33 PM
Sue

We have stayed at both the Hyatt and at Kiahuna Plantation(next door to the Sheraton Kauai)The Hyatt and the Sheraton really are at two different levels. The Hyatt is gorgeous, the pool is truly spectacular, the food is so-so. However, the beach(called "Shipwreck" for a reason!)is really rough at the hyatt property. They have a manmade saltwater lagoon, which is neat but not even close to the beach that the Sheraton sits on. My daughter was 18 months when we stayed there and she spent a good deal of time splashing in a shallow cove. As far as grounds and walkways go, the Kiahuna Plantation(again, the next door property to the Sheraton)has extraordinary gardens, walkways, paths and an incredible succulent garden. You can easily wander for the good part of an hour. If I were deciding, I would probably stay at the Hyatt again and spend some time during the day at the Sheraton Beach! Enjoy you trip

Old Jan 16th, 2003, 02:34 PM
ken

YES! It's absolutely worth the big bucks. The grounds are awesome, the staff is exceptional. My kids had a blast in the pool that goes on forever and the lagoon. When you walk into the lobby look straight ahead. Just beyond this small lounge area is an incredible view of the ocean. Do your homework and I bet you can get it for cheaper.

Old Jan 16th, 2003, 05:39 PM
WH

Yes, it's worth the money. We were there last July and it was beautiful. No problems with service, room, anything. We were delighted, and very sad to leave.

Old Jan 17th, 2003, 04:08 AM
not impressed

We stayed at the Hyatt Kauai in February of 2002 and were not impressed. It is a nice place, but not worth the high price. For less dollars you can get comparable stays at other nice resorts. Be especially careful at the Hyatt Kauai on what they classify as "Ocean View" and "Garden View". Most of their Ocean View rooms look out at the grounds and most of their Garden View rooms look out at the parking lot.