Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Kauai - best room at Sheraton or worst room at Hyatt?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9th, 2004, 03:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are having a hard time deciding on this one so I was hoping some experienced visitors/residents could help us out.

I hear the Hyatt is so nice and the grounds are beautiful etc. (lagoon pool with bar service etc.) so i was willing to pay $450 for a garden view just to be there. But for $50 more we could get a delux ocean front room at the Sheraton? Are they really that different? Should I sacrafice the room category just to stay at the Hyatt? Anyone been to both? Thanks!
Old Feb 9th, 2004, 06:06 PM

We stayed at the Hyatt in October. I really wasn't extremely impressed with the property compared to others in Hawaii. The pool/lagoon area was fantastic but the hotel room was just "ok". My suggestion is if you're bringing kids, stay at the Hyatt (there were plenty of them). If you're honeymooning, give it a second thought.
Old Feb 9th, 2004, 06:21 PM

Ah, Kauai. Yes I've stayed at both. The rooms really aren't that different and are about the same size. Hyatt I think offers more in the way of services, but the Sheraton has decent room service and a nice cocktail lounge and restaraunt with live music at night. We had an ocean front Hyatt room and a garden view Sheraton. I would go with the deluxe ocean front Sheraton. No doubt about it. The rooms are clean and there's a nice beach. Hyatt's pool is much nicer, but no nice beach. It's great to wake up in the morning, go out on the patio and enjoy the serenity of the ocean. Also, you can't beat the sound of it at night. You won't get that with a garden room.
Old Feb 9th, 2004, 06:36 PM

$450-$500 seems rather steep for either the Sheraton or the Hyatt on Kauai. I know we paid less although I don't remember what months we visited in...and that could be why. Still, I would look into seeing if you could find either of those rooms for a lesser cost...I think you should be able to.
Old Feb 9th, 2004, 06:55 PM

We were at the Hyatt last August and paying $350/night rate which we considered already steep. But, oh,we love the lagoon and pools. We spent two days just in their pools and beach and never got tired of it. Nice rooms too. This is by far the best place to stay on this island. We even visited the Prinville Resort and found it second to the Hyatt.

If we go back to Kauai, this the only place we would stay. FYI, we have two children.
Old Feb 9th, 2004, 07:17 PM
Dan

I'd always pick a "best room" over a "worst room" unless the properties were just SO different. Hawaiian resorts, in my mind, are close enough to justify choosing the nice room.
Old Feb 9th, 2004, 07:18 PM

I just checked and was quoted a rate of $345 for a deluxe oceanfront at the Sheraton for a week in July. The rate was for the Starwood Preferred Club which you can join for free and recieve a 35% discount. The Hyatt was $425 for a gardenview for the same time period. I have been to the Hyatt and loved it. I found it to be laid back and very relaxing.
Old Feb 10th, 2004, 03:02 PM

The beach at the Sheraton was wonderful - we stayed at the Marriott Vacation Club in Lihue - and spent most of our time in the Poipu area diving and surfing - alot of surf time at the Sheraton beach. Nice beachfront grounds also. I'll take a wonderful beach and the sound of the waves over a theme pool any day.
Old Feb 15th, 2004, 02:52 AM

The Sheraton, hands down. The beach is one of the best on Maui. Snorkeling and taking the option of taking boat trips are right near the Marriott, two hotels down from the Sheraton. I visited the Hyatt. It is beautiful, and I got a massage there but i opted to stay at the Sheraton b/c I had an Ocean delux room. You cannot whale watch from a garden room and the blue water on Kaanapali bay, by the famous rock that is outside of your hotel room is priceless. Good luck with the choices. Also, the beach at the Hyatt is not that great.
Old Feb 15th, 2004, 06:54 AM

LoriDori was asking about kauai's sheraton and hyatt, not maui's.
Old Feb 15th, 2004, 04:48 PM

In that case, the Hyatt. THe SHeraton on Kauai is not that great. In my opinion.